1 minute they were there

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

At junior level yes. Everyone i knew in the game (at the time) suggested he was the real deal. Just didn't turn out that way

Fair enough. Can remember him playing a few times for the rhinos. Wasn’t he a centre or loose forward?

Last I heard of him was him having some involvement in the AMNRL.

56 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

The next minute they weren’t.

Whatever happened to the likes of Simon haughton, Dom peters, Leroy rivett and Michael worrincy etc who in some cases burst onto the scene only for there careers  to Peter out and vanish without a trace??

Easy, with one exception they were overblown media players, one trick ponies who were soon found out. Please note that two were London players and to the media at the time if a London player could run forward they were granted star status.

Simon Haughton was different, he could have been the British Sonny Bill and for a while looked it. When he and Barrie-Jon Mather burst on the scene for Wigan at roughly the same time I remember looking at my beloved Trinity and thinking how on earth can we compete with that! We couldn't.

Houghton may never have made it to Sonny Bill status but he did play 147 times for Wigan and 10 International appearances so I wouldn't class him with any of those you mentioned. He still had a fair career, why he lost his way after the 1997 season I don't know, some claim they do but I don't believe them, I suspect he'd just had enough.

1 minute ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Easy, with one exception they were overblown media players, one trick ponies who were soon found out. Please note that two were London players and to the media at the time if a London player could run forward they were granted star status.

Simon Haughton was different, he could have been the British Sonny Bill and for a while looked it. When he and Barrie-Jon Mather burst on the scene for Wigan at roughly the same time I remember looking at my beloved Trinity and thinking how on earth can we compete with that! We couldn't.

Houghton may never have made it to Sonny Bill status but he did play 147 times for Wigan and 10 International appearances so I wouldn't class him with any of those you mentioned. He still had a fair career, why he lost his way after the 1997 season I don't know, some claim they do but I don't believe them, I suspect he'd just had enough.

Im not sure thats necessarily accurate, didn't Peters get picked for one of the Yorks/Lancs teams?

Most players disappear through an injury they simply can't recover from. They try to come back but can't so it looks like their career has petered when in truth it's just been ended but they didn't quite realise it at first.

Michael Jackson and Nigel Wright at Wakefield were two prime example, one minute the hottest properties the next game over. Took Wright ages to twig but his body couldn't take it.

Every team has dozens of those. Likewise we all have our Leroy Rivets.

3 minutes ago, Wire quin said:

Im not sure thats necessarily accurate, didn't Peters get picked for one of the Yorks/Lancs teams?

It is, he was an athlete, he was not a Rugby player, that was obvious to anyone who could look past the hype. Playing for a County team means nothing, getting picked up by a top team like LMS did is what counts. Yes 74 games is not bad but he never deserved the hype he received.

1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

Didn't he have a spell in union and came back to TGG? but a former shadow of the player he was or not even that.

Yes a few decent wigan players went to orrell when dave whelan owned them. Wes Davies too if i remember. 

10 minutes ago, northamptoncougar said:

Marlon Billy for Keighley was our Offiah, no idea what happend to him 

He is the player welfare officer at Salford Red Devil’s and by all accounts is doing a very good job, brought in by Ian Watson and retained when Watson left.

39 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Eddie rombo?

This is the world's worst recording but the first try in this video is still talked about by Leeds fans.

I remember listening to it on the radio and going nuts in our living room 🙂

(Strange BTW how a pixelated John Bentley still looks like John Bentley).

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

He had a decent enough career though.....didn’t he? I seem to remember him being in the CC winning Sheffield side?

He was in the squad but not the 17.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Archived