1 minute they were there

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Yeah, but the thing about Karl Pryce is that he was still the biggest guy on the field in every game he played.

It doesn't tend to matter as much though in the professional ranks. At times, certainly at Wigan, his size and slowness made him a liability.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think there's heaps of players like this that came on to the scene in a good team, scored heaps of tries and were over hyped by Eddie and Steve, and no doubt some fans too. Players like Rob Smyth, Shaun Ainscough etc fall into this bracket for my team.

Rom Smyth was unlucky to come along for Wigan at the end of the Offiah/Robinson era and, while he wasn't as eye-catching, he a had a decent career, playing from 1995-2007 with about 140 appearances in SL and 40 more for Chorley and Leigh. Not a superstar, but underrated by inclusion in this thread.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

It doesn't tend to matter as much though in the professional ranks. At times, certainly at Wigan, his size and slowness made him a liability.

Karl Pryce wasn't slow, he was quixk enough for his size... maybe he just shouldn't have been on the wing!

Imagine a well coached and motivated player of Karl Pryce's physical ability in the modern game playing as an edge forward... he would be superb.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Karl Pryce wasn't slow, he was quixk enough for his size... maybe he just shouldn't have been on the wing!

Imagine a well coached and motivated player of Karl Pryce's physical ability in the modern game playing as an edge forward... he would be superb.

He had the turning circle of an articulated lorry and was a complete liability with any kick behind him. He was painfully slow over the first 10 metres which is the most crucial.

He was also one of those players that didn't use his size and didn't try to bust a tackle, often slowing going into contact. He certainly didn't have the heart for the forwards. 

I do accept that at Wigan we saw the post RU Karl Pryce, when RL players usually come back far worse players and that the Bradford and younger version may have been far superior. Price is just proof that it takes far more than just physical attributes to make a RL player. You need heart as much as anything.

Just now, Damien said:

He had the turning circle of an articulated lorry and was a complete liability with any kick behind him. He was painfully slow over the first 10 metres which is the most crucial.

He was also one of those players that didn't use his size and didn't try to bust a tackle, often slowing going into contact. He certainly didn't have the heart for the forwards. 

I do accept that at Wigan we saw the post RU Karl Pryce, when RL players usually come back far worse players and that the Bradford and younger version may have been far superior. Price is just proof that it takes far more than just physical attributes to make a RL player. You need heart as much as anything.

Didn’t he a have foot problem . Broke it a few times?

6 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Disagree. Karl Pryce 04 05 is was quick. He had a few 80m tries for the bulls. I loved it as stuck a quid on him and Lesley for first try scorer and raked it in.

Im sure him and Karl Pratt were half backs for a WCC.

Karl Pratt.... there's a thread all of its own right there.

30 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Absolutely. Made his name in a televised CC tie for Fev when he caught everybody's eye. But even before his recurring injuries, there were other, non-physical problems manifesting.

Here's another flash in the pan - Anthony Stewart the St Helens winger. Looked the real deal for a while, but...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Absolutely. Made his name in a televised CC tie for Fev when he caught everybody's eye. But even before his recurring injuries, there were other, non-physical problems manifesting.

The playoff game at KR in 98..... KR couldn't lay a finger on him.

The world in his hands. If I were to post my thoughts John and CKN would send the boys round!!!!

A daft mis-guided lad who's life choices left a lot to be desired.... in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Saw Karl Pryce a few times at Academy level and there was just something lacking - motivation? Commitment? Attitude?  I don’t know but he didn’t seem to use his physical attributes anywhere near enough

1 minute ago, LeeF said:

Saw Karl Pryce a few times at Academy level and there was just something lacking - motivation? Commitment? Attitude?  I don’t know but he didn’t seem to use his physical attributes anywhere near enough

Would Karl have been less frustrating if we didn't also see Leon pushing himself to the utmost at the same time? Would it have been easy to write him off as a big lad who wasn't quite up to it if he didn't have a high-achieving brother? I think that, for me, that makes Karl more memorable as a nearly-man.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Would Karl have been less frustrating if we didn't also see Leon pushing himself to the utmost at the same time? Would it have been easy to write him off as a big lad who wasn't quite up to it if he didn't have a high-achieving brother? I think that, for me, that makes Karl more memorable as a nearly-man.

Good question. May well be the case

4 hours ago, northamptoncougar said:

Marlon Billy for Keighley was our Offiah, no idea what happend to him 

Remember him going the length of the field at Fev for Rochdale

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Ah the days when we had the likes of Karl Pratt and Richard Horne selected on the wings for GB. Whenever people complain about lack of options now I always think back to the days when we really had no one to select from in the backs. 

Perhaps shouldn't be on this thread but ..... anyway, as I remember it, for a long while Cas would be enjoying a comfortable lead over Fev,  let's say 22-4 second half. Eight minutes after Martin Pearson comes on its 22-20 and all Hell is kicking off down WR. 

As I recall he went to Wakey and did well before failing a drug test for ectasy. A ban followed and that was that.

I know, I know- rules is rules- maintaining standards-etc etc but what a sad loss to the game, except when playing against Cas of course. 

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

Andrew Johns... 2 or 3 decent games for Wire and never played again.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived