Scotland RL

6 hours ago, 2blackrooks said:

Today see’s Rd 2 of the Scottish Premiership where Edinburgh visit Forth Valley, KO is 2pm at Hillfoots Rugby Club

Also match highlights of Glasgow - Forth Valley available on the Scotland Rugby League YouTube channel 

Forth Valley with an awesome win. I believe it was 40-26, but I haven't seen official confirmation of that scoreline. Edinburgh have been head and shoulders above everyone in Scotland for years. Massive win.

• Like 2

Yep 40-26 to the Vikings, great result for the Vikings and all involved with the team, years of hard work now paying off. 
I know they’ve been training a couple of times a week recently with some decent numbers turning up, Edinburgh I believe have been struggling to get players in numbers to train but I think it’s purely down to the ongoing union season. But let’s not take away from a great and well deserved win for the Vikings and the hard work Chris and his team have done 

Edited by 2blackrooks

http://bit.ly/3NobxrW 

“The intention is to bring back the Club XIII concept for domestic-based players and a Scotland ‘Exiles’ for Scottish-qualified players based elsewhere. The two will then meet and a Scotland ‘A’ team to play international fixtures will be selected from there.” 

McGuffog added: “I want to look at creating genuine pathway opportunities for both players and coaching staff alike. I would like to think that Scotland ‘A’ could be a stepping stone for homegrown players to make the full international side too, and that having a chance to gain international honours will attract new players to rugby league.” 

I do not like this. Why not let homegrown players play against the likes of Netherlands and Germany, or even Ireland (domestic) as full internationals? What are they afraid of? Losing a match and dropping down a spot on IRL rankings? Which mean nothing anyway?

He says this will attract more players to the sport, I disagree, I think it is just condescending. 

Anyway, good to see Scotland showing signs of life again, I hope they keep it up. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/06/2023 at 19:37, langpark said:

http://bit.ly/3NobxrW 

“The intention is to bring back the Club XIII concept for domestic-based players and a Scotland ‘Exiles’ for Scottish-qualified players based elsewhere. The two will then meet and a Scotland ‘A’ team to play international fixtures will be selected from there.” 

McGuffog added: “I want to look at creating genuine pathway opportunities for both players and coaching staff alike. I would like to think that Scotland ‘A’ could be a stepping stone for homegrown players to make the full international side too, and that having a chance to gain international honours will attract new players to rugby league.” 

I do not like this. Why not let homegrown players play against the likes of Netherlands and Germany, or even Ireland (domestic) as full internationals? What are they afraid of? Losing a match and dropping down a spot on IRL rankings? Which mean nothing anyway?

He says this will attract more players to the sport, I disagree, I think it is just condescending. 

Anyway, good to see Scotland showing signs of life again, I hope they keep it up. 

I kind of agree, I’d love to see a Scottish Premiership Scotland team play the likes of the Irish and Welsh domestic international team, along with the Netherlands Germany etc it would give the local lads an extra incentive, though any news like this is always positive steps forward.

What I would have loved to here was what steps are they going to make to cement the domestic scene and encourage the likes of past teams of Fife and Strathmore to rejoin and encourage other areas to develop a team, the Borders is an idea area for an RL team which has an Rl history 

The west coast (Ayrshire) also had a previous team which actually did really well, but hopefully time will tell

• Like 2

Edinburgh taking the honours last night in a close and entertaining game 46 - 34 

Edinburgh finding good form and avenging their loss to the Vikings at the beginning of the season, but it goes to show how far the Vikings have come over the past year 

2 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Better update the Wikipedia page.

I was a bit premature. Forth Valley do finish top and get the league leaders shield. But there is a grand final to decide the champions.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

As the Netherlands, Czech rep, Serbia Norway etc continue on their international journey this year. Scotland finally get a game on …… well at U16 and U19 level anyway. The lads travel to Ireland this weekend KO 1230 and 1500hrs respectively, Morton Stadium Dublin. At least our youngster are getting valuable game time

• Like 5

11 hours ago, 2blackrooks said:

As the Netherlands, Czech rep, Serbia Norway etc continue on their international journey this year. Scotland finally get a game on …… well at U16 and U19 level anyway. The lads travel to Ireland this weekend KO 1230 and 1500hrs respectively, Morton Stadium Dublin. At least our youngster are getting valuable game time

Brilliant. 

Apologies if already asked and answered, but where do the young 'uns play? How many clubs / fixtures etc?

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

12 hours ago, 2blackrooks said:

I’m not being facetious here, but are many of your under 16 and 19s from Scotland? Just asking to get a feel for that the junior set up is old north of the border 👍

To be fair not many local lads living in Scotland are in the squad. RL at this level is difficult to attract such players and since the money from the RL stopped many years ago for development officer, RL in Scotland went down hill. In reality we’re staring from scratch, and relying on heritage players.

But we have a new management structure in place moving things forward, it’s just going to take time. 
in the 19 man squad u19 we have 4 players who play in Scotland 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Well it’s that time of year where we wonder what delights Scottish RL is going to deliver. So far it might look like a 4 team set up but SRL are actively on this. 
Meanwhile Glasgow RL visit Chorley Panthers A today for a pre season friendly KO 2pm Chisnall playing fields 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, 2blackrooks said:

Well it’s that time of year where we wonder what delights Scottish RL is going to deliver. So far it might look like a 4 team set up but SRL are actively on this. 
Meanwhile Glasgow RL visit Chorley Panthers A today for a pre season friendly KO 2pm Chisnall playing fields 

Which 4 teams?

On 24/02/2024 at 12:03, 2blackrooks said:

Potentially Glasgow, Forth valley, Edinburgh and possibly a return of Aberdeen but yet to be finalised by the SRL 

Is it over in Forfar? Went to watch Strathmore RU, a few years ago, whilst up there on holiday, and the clubhouse had a display area set aside for their players’ Silverbacks and Scotland RL memorabilia (shirts etc). Indicated somebody was keen!