Surnames on jerseys - yes or no ? -

I've read a few articles where this debate is raging again. 

I remember growing up in Melbourne in the mid to late 90's , watching Storm games on TV channel 9 , back then Storm had player surnames on back of jerseys. 

I believe this contributed to me learning about the sport/my team quicker , as i could identify players , so a big yes from me in this debate. 

I believe it really does make new fans more drawn to their team, as they can quickly identify there fav players . It creates that emotional bond especially for kids , which is key in attracting new fans when they are kids. 

It depends.  I am ok with players having names on jerseys but I really don't like squad numbers and much prefer the teams taking the field in 1-13.

We know lot of the players but when it comes to watching a team play, I am much more interested in which position a player is playing than what his name is.  When I watch a Super League game with a lot of non regulars playing and squad numbers it is very difficult to relate to who was playing in which position and I feel it is a bit of a mess.

When I was growing up and watching teams play I very often didn't know who the players were but I learned to understand the roles and the game and its tactics by watching what  6 or a 7 would do or (in my position) how a 11 or 12 would play compared to a 13.  This is lost when we just have squad numbers.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The first thing that struck me about this debate is what about the back of shirt sponsors. Companies pay tens if not hundreds of thousands to have prominent placement on the top or bottom of the back of jerseys, anything that compromises that I`m not sure the clubs will be too keen, and me either. Numbering players 1 - 13 is essential though for the reasons stated by Dunbar.

I did have a funny experience as a kid though when I travelled to Sydney to support the school team, at the ground there was a lot of first grade players, I had caught a ball kicked into the crowd and was going around after the game getting signatures, I came up to these two blokes and as they were huge assumed they were footy players and asked them to sign my ball, one of them said to me " Do you even know who I am ?" I looked at him and said " Graham Eadie " they both burst out laughing and he said " No kid, I am Robert Stone" I was so embarrassed and said  " and I go for St. George". Tv`s weren`t very big in those days and you mightn`t see your team very often, any way that`s my excuse and I`m sticking to it.

See the source imageSee the source image

Not a big fan . I’m very much a traditionalist with jerseys ... 1-13 on  position . People can relate to that . Some of the numbers on backs in sports like footy and cricket morph into getting ridiculous and names turn into first names or nicknames which is doubly ridiculous . I cringe hearing commentators using first names in footy commentary like they’re best mates 

Wouldnt get rid of the current system. I like the fact they have to earn their number. I have no problem with having  a name under the sponsor though, just one week you could have 17 on your back, the next week 10.

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_2bulldogsbanner.png

I like players to have their names on their shirts with a squad number. If done right it's and opportunity for a big presentation of shirts evening at the club, great for the fans and good for the club.

At the same time I'd rather have numbers 1-17 on the pitch which makes names on the back each week potentially time consuming and expensive.

Where's that fence for me to sit on?

As someone relatively new to watching NRL, who doesn’t know the players that well, I’d really like to have the players’ names on the back of the shirts. A few pals in a similar situation (who incidentally are English, not from the heartlands and love NRL) often say the same too. That said I appreciate that they won’t do it for a few lads on the other side of the world who watch a few games on tv! 

Big yes. It helps with identification. Helps fans who don't know the players and even those that do.

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

Next you will have squad numbers like basketball, with players running around in #78 or even more stupid #00.

Just make em wear 1-17. It’s not really that hard to find a digital source for the who is who by numbers and it’s not like the numbers would change much outside injury anyway.

I'm from Germany, only joined Rugby League, NRL and Super League 20 years ago.

Found it good from the beginning that the numbers on the jerseys are assigned to the positions. 
So I could see as a beginner in this great sport right away, which player, which position plays.

Since 2013, I have been following the NRL intensively via the internet broadcasts. If you watch a lot of games, you get to know the players even without individual numbers.

For me personally, the position of a player is more important than his name. This way I can better draw a comparison between players on the same position. 

In general, I find these individual jersey numbers terrible. Especially in soccer. I don't follow it that much anymore. That's why I find it hard to see which player plays which position. Suddenly a player has the number 9, but plays in the defense. I only know this number for the center forward. There are even goalkeepers who have the number 77 or 99. For me, this is moronic and pure commerce. 

Just because it's like that in the NFL doesn't mean other sports have to adopt it.

Please excuse my bad English

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Just now, RugbyLeagueGermany said:

Found it good from the beginning that the numbers on the jerseys are assigned to the positions. 
So I could see as a beginner in this great sport right away, which player, which position plays.

Since 2013, I have been following the NRL intensively via the internet broadcasts. If you watch a lot of games, you get to know the players even without individual numbers.

For me personally, the position of a player is more important than his name. This way I can better draw a comparison between players on the same position. 

In general, I find these individual jersey numbers terrible. Especially in soccer. I don't follow it that much anymore. That's why I find it hard to see which player plays which position. Suddenly a player has the number 9, but plays in the defense. I only know this number for the center forward. There are even goalkeepers who have the number 77 or 99. For me, this is moronic and pure commerce. 

Just because it's like that in the NFL doesn't mean other sports have to adopt it.

3 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGermany said:

This is exactly in line with my thinking based on how I learned the game 35 years ago.

If we want new fans to understand how the game is played and relate to the positions and their responsibilities then numbering the players is the best way to do this.

I understand that existing fans can relate to players and would like to see names on jerseys (and maybe buy a replica) but we have to consider potential new fans as well.

I personally feel that the Super League coverage with players numbers all over the place is prohibitive to new fans understanding and enjoying a game and I wouldn't want the NRL to go down this route.

We don't want people thinking Rugby League is just 26 people running around.  We have to show how tactical and subtle the game is as well and we can't do this when no-one knows where anyone is playing. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGermany said:

Excellent post . “ Excuse my bad English “... you articulated it better than i could !

Archived