Actual England Squad

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

So hardly worthy of spots in England’s World Cup squads.

Why do we need “crash ball” wingers,it’s RL not Union 

Valid point, we aren't Union - though Winger is by far the most comparable position between the two codes.

However, not having one does narrow the tactical options and equally does mean you risk losing something somewhere, possibly in the form of kick returns, against the big pacifika packs we are set to face. I don't think having a bit of tactical diversity in the squad is a bad thing. Having an out and out speedster on one flank and player who can outmuscle most opponents on the short side isn't a bad option in my mind at all - in fact to some extent where the option has been available that has been a choice taken by many of the top sides.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Valid point, we aren't Union - though Winger is by far the most comparable position between the two codes.

However, not having one does narrow the tactical options and equally does mean you risk losing something somewhere, possibly in the form of kick returns, against the big pacifika packs we are set to face. I don't think having a bit of tactical diversity in the squad is a bad thing. Having an out and out speedster on one flank and player who can outmuscle most opponents on the short side isn't a bad option in my mind at all - in fact to some extent where the option has been available that has been a choice taken by many of the top sides.

No you pick your best 2 wingers of which McGillvary is nowhere near.

5 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Very surprised there's no Trueman

And he's picked the likes of McGillvary and Watkins? Clearly not picking on form..........

This is word for word exactly my initial thoughts too.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

22 minutes ago, dkw said:

So no Connor or Trueman but we do have Watkins, Manfredi & Sarginson? What on earth.

Wane says it’s Sam Tomkins, based on data but compliments Connor and Hardaker.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/shaun-wane-england-fullback-tomkins-20327771

I don’t believe Callum is quite up to his previous standards though but this is early days.  

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Wane says it’s Sam Tomkins, based on data but compliments Connor and Hardaker.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/shaun-wane-england-fullback-tomkins-20327771

I don’t believe Callum is quite up to his previous standards though but this is early days.  

I think its pretty hard to argue with Tomkins at full back. He is playing well and offers a real ball playing threat.

47 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think its pretty hard to argue with Tomkins at full back. He is playing well and offers a real ball playing threat.

Yes, I think so.  Playing well.

I think Hardaker would come before Connor at FB anyway.  He’s only been in the position a few times last year apart from the games this season.  

I still think he will get on the squad whether Hardaker messes up again or not.

43 minutes ago, northamptoncougar said:

Genuinely wonder what Watts has got to do to get into the squad, the blokes a giant, he has hands and does long minutes. The Aussies have never seen him and I think he’d be a real handful.

With Farrell and Sarginson it feels too much like a Wigan old boys club.

Watts is a flat track bully imo. 

1 hour ago, northamptoncougar said:

Genuinely wonder what Watts has got to do to get into the squad, the blokes a giant, he has hands and does long minutes. The Aussies have never seen him and I think he’d be a real handful.

Sarginson was in form at w end of the last season.  There was only 1 game before Wane had to put in his list.

Its you who is spreading prejudice.

TV commentators spread every name that can come into their head... they would have 100 on their list.  

2 hours ago, Damien said:

and is a slow as a snail dragging a house brick across a puddle of glue 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

31 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

and is a slow as a snail dragging a house brick across a puddle of glue 

Rubbish, he isn't slow at all. He isn't quite as quick as he was, but he still has a burst of speed and can get through the line.

1 minute ago, Click said:

Rubbish, he isn't slow at all. He isn't quite as quick as he was, but he still has a burst of speed and can get through the line.

lost all his pace after the knee injury lay off and got slower with age- every single full back in the nrl is quicker than tomkins 

2 hours ago, northamptoncougar said:

Farrell would be in most people’s top 35

Wigan old boys club,stop being ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

lost all his pace after the knee injury lay off and got slower with age- every single full back in the nrl is quicker than tomkins 

But not many of them are as creative or possess such a good kicking game.

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

He's not as quick as he once was, but I wouldn't say he is slow whatsoever.

5 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Have you actually watched him play in the past 18 months?? -Hes in great form, has matured and is a real leader. Easily one of the best fullbacks in the world.

Hes also a better player than he was when he went to the NRL and in his first season he was in the top 6 NRL fullbacks in a very poor Warriors team. The Aussies wanted him to fail - he didn't but they take delight in telling everyone he did.

21 minutes ago, Click said:

He's not as quick as he once was, but I wouldn't say he is slow whatsoever.

in sad reality we are relying on a player aged32? 33? who lined up against kangaroo opposition 10 plus years ago- kangaroo opposition who are mostly retired from the game with new blood now in place like tedsesco -mitchell- dufty- gutherson and papenhuyzen to name but a few - ready to showcase their amazing skills- hard to swallow for some but fact

7 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Have you actually watched him play in the past 18 months?? -Hes in great form, has matured and is a real leader. Easily one of the best fullbacks in the world.

Hes also a better player than he was when he went to the NRL and in his first season he was in the top 6 NRL fullbacks in a very poor Warriors team. The Aussies wanted him to fail - he didn't but they take delight in telling everyone he did.

i thought he did great in the nrl and made the warriors a better team everytime he took the field - but we are not gonna win the world cup with england coming out to jethro tulls living in the past as their new anthem

15 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

i thought he did great in the nrl and made the warriors a better team everytime he took the field - but we are not gonna win the world cup with england coming out to jethro tulls living in the past as their new anthem

Don't agree - I even think he will be made captain.

27 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

I agree with that in part GJ but Wane will want players who carry out his Plan.  He won’t want an unknown quantity or someone who is liable to wilting under pressure.  Tomkins is trusted by Wane, will know what to expect, can play in the halves at this level and that goes in his favour.

I would still include Connor for his ability to produce a killer play when it counts but he still has to prove that he can hold it together when other teams file him up.  I think he can, just down to him.

I would also include Watts into the group for his offload ability alone plus Trueman.  

41 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

in sad reality we are relying on a player aged32? 33? who lined up against kangaroo opposition 10 plus years ago- kangaroo opposition who are mostly retired from the game with new blood now in place like tedsesco -mitchell- dufty- gutherson and papenhuyzen to name but a few - ready to showcase their amazing skills- hard to swallow for some but fact

Was it sad when Smith, Lockier, Thurston etc were playing for the Aussies in their 30s? - or were they picked because they were the best players and a joy to watch when on form - or as seems to be the usual on here- its ok for the Aussies but not for the English?

Sam is still great to watch and a great player and now leader- if he's still in the best form of any English FB he should play- regardless of his age. The same applies to Roby - every bit as good a player as Smith was and if Smith hadn't retired he would still be in the Aussie team now. Take those NRL tinted glasses off.....

Archived