Whitehaven - Game 5

jroyales

19 hours ago, jroyales said:

We must have a great chance of winning this one after the great win against Halifax and a good game against London. Just hope we don't have any more injuries - Hewit didn't look too good when he went off.

James Barran — "Hold my beer."

31 minutes ago, LittleboroRoughyed said:

Any updates on the injury front in relation to Dupree, Bridge, Pick, Ince etc?

I was thinking the same, I was going to ask Dave Naylor 

Ince should be close to playing as I think he had a dead leg against Batley. Pick was a recurrence of a calf strain so shouldn't be too far away either. Dupree looked like a bad hamstring as he was sprinting so I'd imagine that was around 6 weeks out. Bridgey we've heard nothing nothing other than it was a knee injury. Don't forget about Heaton either, that looked a nasty ankle injury.

Watching the highlights of Whitehaven's game against Bradford it looked like most of Bradford's tries were scored down the middle with Haven's tries scored outwide, they look like a team who move the ball well with some dangerous strike players out wide.

If we can boss the middle as we might be able to do with our pack and have some good edge defence there could be the chance of another two points against one of our 'mini league' rivals.

Come on Oldham !

Hope we approach this game like we've approached all the others so far aside from the aberration which was Batley away. Focus on ourselves, on our performance and on improving on the previous week. No thoughts of complacency or of it being an easier game. If we don't perform we'll lose and make last week pointless. Huge two points this week.

Haven look a very different side on the limited amount i've seen of them. They've moved away from a forward based game and seem to try and play an expansive style of play. Their half backs have impressed me especially Dixon at stand off and the full back/winger Walmsley as well looks very dangerous.

In terms of selection I'd try and go with as close to the same team as last week as possible. Hewitt looked a big doubt but in Barran we have a ready made replacement who has impressed a lot when he's been available. Hopefully Ince is back to take his spot on the wing after a few weeks out. Hopefully Pick might be back as i'm not sure if Bibby's loan deal is going to be extended for this week and if not we are a bit light on the bench.

watched the highlights of whitehaven v featherstone and bradford.

whitehaven faded badly in both second halves.

according to the whitehaven newspaper they will have 4 of their main players out including greg mcnalley and they will be short on numbers.

On 05/05/2021 at 17:53, m brooksy said:

Hope we approach this game like we've approached all the others so far aside from the aberration which was Batley away. Focus on ourselves, on our performance and on improving on the previous week. No thoughts of complacency or of it being an easier game. If we don't perform we'll lose and make last week pointless. Huge two points this week.

Haven look a very different side on the limited amount i've seen of them. They've moved away from a forward based game and seem to try and play an expansive style of play. Their half backs have impressed me especially Dixon at stand off and the full back/winger Walmsley as well looks very dangerous.

In terms of selection I'd try and go with as close to the same team as last week as possible. Hewitt looked a big doubt but in Barran we have a ready made replacement who has impressed a lot when he's been available. Hopefully Ince is back to take his spot on the wing after a few weeks out. Hopefully Pick might be back as i'm not sure if Bibby's loan deal is going to be extended for this week and if not we are a bit light on the bench.

Tbf Batley are going well, we definitely were not at the races but they have posted some impressive wins this season. I wouldn't worry too much about that one. 

Play sensible and mistake free and we should have enough but Haven will have marked this game out as a must win. 

It will be a dogfight for sure, be nice to back up after last week's win.  I'm confident in all of the lads who play tomorrow. Should be another cracking game. 

With all of this rain it should be a no nonsense forward battle. It appears they are a bit short of forwards and we seem to be getting our best pack together. Travelling down in the rain for about 3 hours isn't the best preparation, so we have to smash them in the first 15 minutes and hopefully playing uphill in the first half.

No fancy rugby, keep it tight, no stupid penalties, a good attacking defence and I can't see us losing.

All the brilliance of last week has been undone by a shocking performance lacking any attacking structure and filled full of basic errors that have cost 24 points sadly not good enough today in a very winnable game

I was expecting a dominant performance today after last week's win against Halifax particularly with the weather but we've lacked direct running. So many key individual errors leading to tries. Credit to Haven, played the conditions better and always look dangerous when throwing the ball around - much better handling skills.

Archived