Magic Weekend has been a raging success in Brisbane, but no public acknowledgment of the British origins of the idea.

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Have heard its` Super League origins referred to a couple of times, and once I think on t.v. when they interviewed one of the English players, but certainly not a lot of acknowledgement. Shame really.

Mate are you kidding me ! every person I have heard interviewed have been having a ball, one of the great highlights I believe for most people has been all the different jerseys, old and new, that are being worn. Because a lot of people are neutrals for each game their is a real feeling of Rugby League supporters camaraderie. I can vouch for that as I went to the 100 years celebrations of the local Wingham Tigers on the weekend wearing my old Bears jumper, I had people slapping me on the back and approaching me all afternoon. I believe there`s something similar going on in Brisbane this weekend.

Couple of closer matches certainly would have helped hyping the crowd up though I`ll agree, but i`ve listened to most of it on the radio and all the sideline reporters for the ABC when they throw to them have been effusive about the atmosphere from ground level.

And apparently they are going to stick with the three daynight format as well, would be great though if they could reward the crowd with a high profile match-up for the last game of each evening, wouldn`t be so bad sitting through a couple of games that are a bit of a mismatch or not of the highest quality if you know at the end of the night the last game will be a cracker. Hard to guarantee that though I suppose.

Just an option as I've attended both versions (ok not this year) and the SL version is head and shoulders above the NRL version as far as atmosphere and how the fans interact ( similar to the CC final) but after living in oz and attending many NRL games I also say the same about the normal match day atmosphere for normal league games - NRL is ahead on most things but not the match day atmosphere.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Just an option as I've attended both versions (ok not this year) and the SL version is head and shoulders above the NRL version as far as atmosphere and how the fans interact ( similar to the CC final) but after living in oz and attending many NRL games I also say the same about the normal match day atmosphere for normal league games - NRL is ahead on most things but not the match day atmosphere.

It is a different mentality. In Aus, you go to a game as though you are going to the cinema, to sit there and be entertained. In UK, you tend to go there and feel the need (or even obligation) to contribute to the atmosphere and give you team even the slightest bit of advantage that you can. 

Origin is the exception, but still in no way comparable to how vocal UK/Europe sporting fans get at matches. 

3 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Expect crowds to grow even further When Brisbane2 becomes the 17th NRL franchise.

Just a shame 1 team will be forced into having a bye.

You can't have an odd number of teams playing an odd number of games 🙄

Sheesh 

48 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Fair enough, I`ve been thinking about different ways ( inside and outside the ground ) that the NRL might develop the Magic Round concept to really take advantage of the big numbers and profile it receives, especially if they can take into areas where we may like to expand into one day like Perth or Adelaide, or even to consolidate the game in Melbourne and get new fans. I`d be fascinated to hear of anything different you might do in your Magic Round that we might adapt over here.

P.S. unrelated but if anyone is reading this and is interested the Qld. Govt. paid the NRL 2.3 million dollars for the rights to hold the weekend just gone, they are quoting 20m dollars injected into the local economy from 25 000 interstate visitors. The Qld. Premier is saying they want it guaranteed for the next 10 years, apparently the NRL have agreed to one for starters, I expect they will be paying a bit more than 2.3m for next years.

I forgot to add, each team received 300 000 and all travel and accommodation expenses where payed for by the NRL.

7 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

The concept of the Magic Weekend was devised by the RFL as one of its few original ideas.

In 2021, the first year after Covid in Australia, the NRL has introduced the Magic Weekend with substantial crowds admitted. It has attracted over 40,000 spectators every day of the three days. That has amounted to more than 130,000 tickets.

I have watched most of the Magic Round, but I have yet to hear any acknowledgement of the role of the RFL in inventing and putting into practice the concept of the Magic Weekend.

This is poor form I am sorry to say. It shows a shocking lack of social etiquette. I would suggest that you all tweet former Wigan stand off Matthew Johns to vent your displeasure. You should do it either now, or after 11.30 am London time, while Johns' ridiculous Sunday night show show is on air. You might also try to tweet your displeasure to the NRL Twitter account, and to the Twitter accounts of NRL Chairman Peter V'landys, and also to the NRL's white South African born and educated CEO Andrew Abdo. In addition, if you have access to LinkedIn.com, you can send a message to Andrew Abdo's account there.

I was waiting for ‘ contact your local MP ‘

7 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Hope the NRL boses also steal the on the road aspect from super league as well and take this event to Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne and Auckland.

The NRL nines were held in Auckland for 4 years. Big crowds at Eden Park. When they revived the concept for 2020 in Perth - not quite the same success.

8 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

The concept of the Magic Weekend was devised by the RFL as one of its few original ideas.

In 2021, the first year after Covid in Australia, the NRL has introduced the Magic Weekend with substantial crowds admitted. It has attracted over 40,000 spectators every day of the three days. That has amounted to more than 130,000 tickets.

I have watched most of the Magic Round, but I have yet to hear any acknowledgement of the role of the RFL in inventing and putting into practice the concept of the Magic Weekend.

This is poor form I am sorry to say. It shows a shocking lack of social etiquette. I would suggest that you all tweet former Wigan stand off Matthew Johns to vent your displeasure. You should do it either now, or after 11.30 am London time, while Johns' ridiculous Sunday night show show is on air. You might also try to tweet your displeasure to the NRL Twitter account, and to the Twitter accounts of NRL Chairman Peter V'landys, and also to the NRL's white South African born and educated CEO Andrew Abdo. In addition, if you have access to LinkedIn.com, you can send a message to Andrew Abdo's account there.

"Australia" and "social etiquette"  are not things we see together that often 

4 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The NRL nines were held in Auckland for 4 years. Big crowds at Eden Park. When they revived the concept for 2020 in Perth - not quite the same success.

9’s is a pre-season tournament with nothing really at stake compared to magic weekend which are regular competition games with league points on the line.

Also the 9’s tournament held in Perth had weakened squads for some reason??

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Fair enough, I`ve been thinking about different ways ( inside and outside the ground ) that the NRL might develop the Magic Round concept to really take advantage of the big numbers and profile it receives, especially if they can take into areas where we may like to expand into one day like Perth or Adelaide, or even to consolidate the game in Melbourne and get new fans. I`d be fascinated to hear of anything different you might do in your Magic Round that we might adapt over here.

P.S. unrelated but if anyone is reading this and is interested the Qld. Govt. paid the NRL 2.3 million dollars for the rights to hold the weekend just gone, they are quoting 20m dollars injected into the local economy from 25 000 interstate visitors. The Qld. Premier is saying they want it guaranteed for the next 10 years, apparently the NRL have agreed to one for starters, I expect they will be paying a bit more than 2.3m for next years.

I forgot to add, each team received 300 000 and all travel and accommodation expenses where payed for by the NRL.

That’s pretty decent money and like you say you’d expect it to only increase year on year. I wouldn’t commit myself for something like 10 years though unless it was ridiculous money being offered but even then I’d love to see magic weekend in Perth, Melbourne and Auckland.

5 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Expect crowds to grow even further When Brisbane2 becomes the 17th NRL franchise.

Just a shame 1 team will be forced into having a bye.

Yes, but this also points out that this is not an extra game to the regular season.  Half the teams give up their home match.

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

About 4 years ago the Newcastle Magic Weekend was estimated to be worth £10 million to the local economy. I spoke to a taxi driver during the weekend to get his view on the event and he absolutely loved it. Virtually zero trouble and loads of business for him, restaurant ps, hotels, B&Bs, pubs, nightclubs and shopping centres.

He was in no doubt that the Magic Weekend dwarfed by 3 or 4 times anything that Newcastle United are involved in despite them being in the Premier League.

Ive attended every single one and Newcastle is without doubt the right home for our Magic Weekend

22 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Yes, but this also points out that this is not an extra game to the regular season.  Half the teams give up their home match.

Double post , note to myself , read the posts properly 😉

27 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

9’s is a pre-season tournament with nothing really at stake compared to magic weekend which are regular competition games with league points on the line.

Also the 9’s tournament held in Perth had weakened squads for some reason??

There`s a surprising number of fans of NRL clubs other than the Warriors in Auckland. 

17 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

About 4 years ago the Newcastle Magic Weekend was estimated to be worth £10 million to the local economy. I spoke to a taxi driver during the weekend to get his view on the event and he absolutely loved it. Virtually zero trouble and loads of business for him, restaurant ps, hotels, B&Bs, pubs, nightclubs and shopping centres.

He was in no doubt that the Magic Weekend dwarfed by 3 or 4 times anything that Newcastle United are involved in despite them being in the Premier League.

Ive attended every single one and Newcastle is without doubt the right home for our Magic Weekend

The majority of Newcastle Utd home games will be attended by people already living on Tyneside or surrounding areas. They’ll just probably come and go for the match compared to the RL fans who live outside of Tyneside and will be staying overnight in the area.

Perth was never going to compete with Auckland for the Nines due to two reasons:

- Firstly the Perth Nines ran Friday / Saturday versus the Auckland Nines ran Saturday / Sunday. Kick off times for Perth were designed to favour Sydney audiences, as such some games were kicking off at 4pm local time on Friday and 10am on Saturday.

- The number of group games teams played was reduced. In Auckland, every team played a minimum of 3 games, in Perth it was only 2 (thanks to the silly sub-pool per group draw configuration). 

Considering a number of bigger clubs in Perth like the Warriors, Dragons, Eels and Bulldogs had all finished playing before 6pm on Friday, the crowds were always going to suffer.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

20 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Hope the NRL boses also steal the on the road aspect from super league as well and take this event to Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne and Auckland.

We live in Perth and hope it stays in Brisbane, went to the first one in 2019 and it was brilliant mostly because its a league city that embraced it. Keep it at the same location and time each year and it will become a major part of the Aus sporting calendar.

The biggest sporting events over here have continuity, people plan a year in advance to go to big events. We are already planning for a Brisbane trip next May for Magic Round.

1 hour ago, Balmain1969 said:

We live in Perth and hope it stays in Brisbane, went to the first one in 2019 and it was brilliant mostly because its a league city that embraced it. Keep it at the same location and time each year and it will become a major part of the Aus sporting calendar.

The biggest sporting events over here have continuity, people plan a year in advance to go to big events. We are already planning for a Brisbane trip next May for Magic Round.

Sounds great.

I only advocate for it moving around as a tool for developing RL in cities like Perth, Auckland and Adelaide etc.

3 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Sounds great.

I only advocate for it moving around as a tool for developing RL in cities like Perth, Auckland and Adelaide etc.

Perth has had the Nines and gets regular season games, Auckland has had the Nines and it did well there, too. I’m not sure why they need to change what they’re doing now, it works. 

Archived