Warrington sign Fev's James Harrison?

4 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Harrison strikes me as a bit of 'project' signing, a bit like Saints have done with Dan Norman this year.

Has some good attributes that show with a bit of work he could become a decent SL standard player.

Harrison will cut in Super League, easy. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Just now, sentoffagain2 said:

Just retired injuries caught up with him.Whatever people think of him as a player he always tried his best.

I re-watched the NRC final (Fax & Fev) the other month and England stood out. His collision with a player was always aggressive (fair). Not surprised injuries caught up with him. 

What this situation does highlight is how tough it is for Championship clubs to build towards SL. Harrison was described by James Webster as "the glue that holds us together" recently and is exactly the type of player Fev would want to build their team around if they get promoted this year.

Unfortunately with the May 1 deadline for approaching players they can't possibly compete with existing SL clubs to sign their own players let alone plan ahead, there's every chance Fev will lose Frankie Halton and maybe Gareth Gale in the same manner, that would be Fev's three standout up-and-coming players. Same scenario happened to Leigh losing Danny Addy and not really in position to sign players, acknowledging that was a different situation and that it was even less of a level playing field for them this year.

Not sure what the answer is as I definitely don't want to see promotion/relegation removed for reasons that have been done to death on here, but it does highlight how difficult that first year is always likely to be for promoted clubs.

4 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

What this situation does highlight is how tough it is for Championship clubs to build towards SL. Harrison was described by James Webster as "the glue that holds us together" recently and is exactly the type of player Fev would want to build their team around if they get promoted this year.

Unfortunately with the May 1 deadline for approaching players they can't possibly compete with existing SL clubs to sign their own players let alone plan ahead, there's every chance we'll lose Frankie Halton and maybe Gareth Gale in the same manner, that would be Fev's three standout up-and-coming players. Same scenario happened to Leigh losing Danny Addy and not really in position to sign players, acknowledging that was a different situation and that it was even less of a level playing field for them this year.

Not sure what the answer is as I definitely don't want to see promotion/relegation removed for reasons that have been done to death on here, but it does highlight how difficult that first year is always likely to be for promoted clubs.

It’s two tens with p&r, and has been for 20 years

2 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

Harrison will cut in Super League, easy. 

Based on what ?

He had scholarships at Hudds & Bradford and neither signed him up into their next age group teams.

He then played at Batley for 3 years before being picked up by Fev. No SL club were really interested in him until Leeds gave him a shot in 2020 on loan, but they didn't pursue him either.

To say he will easily cut it it in SL is a bit optimistic given he's not shown that level so far in his career.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

4 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

No SL club were really interested in him until Leeds gave him a shot in 2020 on loan, but they didn't pursue him either.

This is not true. Leeds had been in contact with him for about 12 months prior to his loan spell with them and I can guarantee he was on the radar of a lot of SL clubs after his outstanding form in the 2019 play-offs. He didn't sign with any SL club for 2021 because he was under contract at Fev and Fev made it clear they would require a hefty transfer fee, which would have made little sense for any SL club to pursue.

Matt Shaw has suggested that four other SL teams were after him for next season.

2 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Based on what ?

He had scholarships at Hudds & Bradford and neither signed him up into their next age group teams.

He then played at Batley for 3 years before being picked up by Fev. No SL club were really interested in him until Leeds gave him a shot in 2020 on loan, but they didn't pursue him either.

To say he will easily cut it it in SL is a bit optimistic given he's not shown that level so far in his career.

I don't think it's optimistic at all, I've seen him play for years and seen his significant improvement over the years. I also believe he's under the best coach in SL for bringing potential out of people.

Leeds, Warrington, Castleford were most recently after his signature - if he wasn't a SL standard player, they wouldn't attempt to sign him.

Most top end Champiopnship players would cut it in SL, the levels between full time pro's and their part time counterparts has been reducing for some time. Standards in the championship are rising and the chance for some players to play in a SL environment will only do them a world of good. Half the reason most do not step up is nothing to do with quality but more to do with money. Working 2 jobs is going to bring in more money than what a SL club is going be willing/able to pay a lad stepping up from the Championship.

Just as example Huddersfield took a roofer from a mid table Championship team at the back end of last season and he ended up been one of their stand out players averaging over 50 tackles per game. Salford came in to try and sign him but could not get anywhere near what he were currently earning as a roofer and semi pro player.

15 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

I don't think it's optimistic at all, I've seen him play for years and seen his significant improvement over the years. I also believe he's under the best coach in SL for bringing potential out of people.

Leeds, Warrington, Castleford were most recently after his signature - if he wasn't a SL standard player, they wouldn't attempt to sign him.

Your completely missing the point. Your claim that he will easily make it in SL isn't based on anything other than your observations of him playing in the Championship.

He's what 24 now and only got noticed by a SL club last year, and even then only as a stop gap loan for a couple of games. If he was that impressive and truly a SL class player then Leeds would undoubtedly have signed him up. Its not as if they couldn't afford to pay a transfer fee or pay his wages, especially when you see they've been prepared to throw stupid money on a total flop like Eastmond who was undoubtedly on more than anything Harrison was asking for.

Does he have potential to make it in SL - Yes

Has he proved himself as a SL standard player as yet - No

Will he - thats completely unknown 

30 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Your completely missing the point. Your claim that he will easily make it in SL isn't based on anything other than your observations of him playing in the Championship.

He's what 24 now and only got noticed by a SL club last year, and even then only as a stop gap loan for a couple of games. If he was that impressive and truly a SL class player then Leeds would undoubtedly have signed him up. Its not as if they couldn't afford to pay a transfer fee or pay his wages, especially when you see they've been prepared to throw stupid money on a total flop like Eastmond who was undoubtedly on more than anything Harrison was asking for.

I didn't miss the point, I was just looking at it from a different angle and had my own opinion - just like you have yours. 

Maybe Leeds didn't sign him last year as they thought he would sign for them when he was OOC at the end of the year, given the special relationship we all here about between the two clubs.

We don't know if a SL club was after him before? Maybe they have and he wanted to stay at Featherstone and have a second job, which would have earnt him more money than being in Super League?

It's all just speculation.

58 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

If he was that impressive and truly a SL class player then Leeds would undoubtedly have signed him up. Its not as if they couldn't afford to pay a transfer fee or pay his wages, especially when you see they've been prepared to throw stupid money on a total flop like Eastmond who was undoubtedly on more than anything Harrison was asking for.

Again, what figures are you working on here? Fev made it clear they wouldn't let him go before his contract was up unless they were offered "silly money"., which was eminently sensible as they would have had to pay silly money to get a comparable replacement who was willing to play in the Championship.

It's likely that transfer fee plus Harrison's salary would have cost Leeds six figures. It's possible to think he's well up to being a SL standard player without thinking he's worth that money.

3 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

And Walmsley was 23...what’s your point?

20 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Based on what ?

He actually played for bulls academy  but  decided to sign for john kear at batley with the offer of regular first team rugby

On 20/05/2021 at 17:22, Chris Taylor said:

Fair posts Chris.  It puts me in mind of Jamie Peacocks early struggles to get established in the game, he was a late developer and james Harrison also appears to be one as well. 

Peacock turned out quite a good player....sorry Legend😉

On 21/05/2021 at 09:02, Saint Toppy said:

If your lot had signed him you'd have him down as the best prospect in the British game.

On 21/05/2021 at 12:07, B1971 said:

And Walmsley was 23...what’s your point?

Read my original post - Harrison, Like Walmsley, and Dan Norman at Saints this year are all players who showed potential in the Championship but their signing's by SL clubs are/were something of a gamble at the time as none of them had proved themselves at SL level before.

Walmsley has, though it did take him a couple of seasons to fully reach his potential, but the other 2 Harrison & Norman haven't proved anything yet. They may make it, they may not, time will tell.

The point I was making was that some of the claims on here that Harrison will easily make it in SL are not based on any evidence at all. Just like young players coming through the academies, many show potential but a large number just never make it, and its the same with players coming from the Championship into SL. 

2 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

The point I was making was that some of the claims on here that Harrison will easily make it in SL are not based on any evidence at all. Just like young players coming through the academies, many show potential but a large number just never make it, and its the same with players coming from the Championship into SL. 

Well...you say there is no evidence at all, but there is evidence.

Watching him perform consistently well above the standards expected in the competition he is currently playing in would indicate that he is more than capable of making the next step.

The evidence may be questioned, sure, but there's the debate and opinions formed.

You may have a different view. C'est la vie. 

Archived