Warrington sign Fev's James Harrison?

1 hour ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Definite shift in recruitment tactics from Warrington.   Hopefully Powell is eyeing up some decent young British talent.

It may be that the head coach,Powell,who has played and coached in Yorkshire,but never in Cheshire,is now only signing players who were born in Yorkshire,or who have never played elsewhere but in Yorkshire.

Interesting plan...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

13 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Definite shift in recruitment tactics from Warrington.   Hopefully Powell is eyeing up some decent young British talent.

C%S and Powell tried to sign him this year but he was under contract so didn't want to pay compensation out of contract end of year so now a freebie

Strange signing for Warrington like others have said but Powell does have this knack of getting players to play to their full potential. Also lets face it paying top whack for either over rated players like Widdop or past their best players like Inglis isn't exactly working out for them.

12 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Looked very much a Championship player when he played for Leeds. Don’t expect him to be much more than a squad filler

You forget when James turned out for a poor LEEDS side at the end of the season  he hadn't played rugby for 5 months so you wouldn't expect him to be  a SL star but he's big strong and fast definitely   a chip off the old block

58 minutes ago, POR said:

You forget when James turned out for a poor LEEDS side at the end of the season  he hadn't played rugby for 5 months so you wouldn't expect him to be  a SL star but he's big strong and fast definitely   a chip off the old block

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

He looked better than some of the Leeds first team forwards.Watch how much tackling James does.

I wasn’t expecting him to be a SL star. He certainly didn’t look big and strong but a workhorse yes. He looked ordinary in an ordinary Leeds pack. He reminded me of Ormondroyd, another Championship player who was big’d up and is just an ordinary squad filler in SL. 

But I hope he does make an impact 

15 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Really?  Price signed Butler from the championship.

27 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I wasn’t expecting him to be a SL star. He certainly didn’t look big and strong but a workhorse yes. He looked ordinary in an ordinary Leeds pack. He reminded me of Ormondroyd, another Championship player who was big’d up and is just an ordinary squad filler in SL. 

But I hope he does make an impact 

Much better than Ormondroyd who when at Fev looked as though he could develop into a really good back row forward.However even before he left us he stopped improving and was only Championship class.Harrison does have a good Rugby head on his shoulders and he is as good if not better than his dad Karl at the same age.

13 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Much better than Ormondroyd who when at Fev looked as though he could develop into a really good back row forward.However even before he left us he stopped improving and was only Championship class.Harrison does have a good Rugby head on his shoulders and he is as good if not better than his dad Karl at the same age.

Agreed. 

Harrison has consistently improved and I don't think his time at Leeds was a fair reflection of how good he is. He wasn't a regular starter and hadn't played in a few months before his first game. 

James couldn't have signed under a better coach IMO, we'll see him improve to another level under Daryl. 

Where do you think his best position is? Prop or second row?

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

I remember seeing him a Batley a few seasons back and saying to my other half, he's got something about him this lad. Played second row rather than prop as he tended to for Leeds but you could tell his ability and i think he went ok for Leeds last year given the circumstances.

I wouldn't be surprised if Powell goes back to using him in the second row, a bit Mike McMeekan-esque

24 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

Agreed. 

Harrison has consistently improved and I don't think his time at Leeds was a fair reflection of how good he is. He wasn't a regular starter and hadn't played in a few months before his first game. 

James couldn't have signed under a better coach IMO, we'll see him improve to another level under Daryl. 

Where do you think his best position is? Prop or second row?

Second row ,but all forwards can interchange in today's game with no scrums or lean to as they were.I do however like props to have a bit off beef about them strong direct runners to tire the other forwards out.James is dangerous when waiting behind the attacking line then running in between players.He reads the game very well.

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Price signed Butler from the championship.

22 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

And Ashton

I was referring specifically to forwards with Akauola and Latu (both arguably have been duds and have hardly been picked), but yes we did sign Butler who I think will turn out well under Powell.   Mulhern is already an experienced prop and easily a first-choice starter if Hill moves on.

I'm just glad we're not paying airfares for players to potentially sit in the stands.   As someone has said, if anyone can take a championship player to a better level it's Powell.   Also, I'm not sure how much influence Price actually has over recruitment.   I'll bet Powell has insisted on more autonomy.

15 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Looked very much a Championship player when he played for Leeds.

You will have seen more of him than me obviously, but didn't Luke Gale also get shipped off to a championship club. What happened to him? 😉 

1 minute ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I was referring specifically to forwards with Akauola and Latu (both arguably have been duds and have hardly been picked), but yes we did sign Butler who I think will turn out well under Powell.   Mulhern is already an experienced prop and easily a first-choice starter if Hill moves on.

I'm just glad we're not paying airfares for players to potentially sit in the stands.   As someone has said, if anyone can take a championship player to a better level it's Powell.

You will have seen more of him than me obviously, but didn't Luke Gale also get shipped off to a championship club. What happened to him? 😉 

Anthony England?

Just now, Spidey said:

Anthony England?

That was a Smith signing in 2014 I think?   He moved on to pastures new a long time ago.   Is he still with Wakefield?   He didn't actually turn out very well either, which I think highlighted how Smith can be an amazing coach with a team of all-stars, but maybe not quite so great on improving players to the next level.

Like him or loathe him, Powell (or his backroom staff) does /do have form for improving young players.   That's got to be good for us as we have some decent talent at academy level just waiting for an opportunity.

Harrison strikes me as a bit of 'project' signing, a bit like Saints have done with Dan Norman this year.

Has some good attributes that show with a bit of work he could become a decent SL standard player.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

3 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

That was a Smith signing in 2014 I think?   He moved on to pastures new a long time ago.   Is he still with Wakefield?   He didn't actually turn out very well either, which I think highlighted how Smith can be an amazing coach with a team of all-stars, but maybe not quite so great on improving players to the next level.

Like him or loathe him, Powell (or his backroom staff) does /do have form for improving young players.   That's got to be good for us as we have some decent talent at academy level just waiting for an opportunity.

Just pointing out Warrington’s strategy has been big money signings sprinkled with some cheaper options. It’s not out of the norm for this type of signing, Powell coming in hasnt changed anything, yet

Archived