Match Thread: The 1895 Cup Semi-final, Featherstone Rovers v Widnes Sunday-6th-June-2021

2 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

I can see why the players would like to play at Wembley. But this is a meaningless competition, which with its extra games, means more chance of injuries and then less chance of winning promotion. 

Going to Wembley would give the area a buzz and bring in extra fans who will hopefully come back, and maybe some would join the squad builder? Quite often it's the new signings at the back end of the season that swings it for the GF and ultimately promotion. The extra income would help in that respect. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Personally given that's there's little money involved in this competition I'd wouldn't be looking to play any players who are carrying a knock. Give some of the fringe players a run out.

I can see why the players would like to play at Wembley. But this is a meaningless competition, which with its extra games, means more chance of injuries and then less chance of winning promotion. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm just not having the 1895 trophy as any kind of credible competition.

All 3 of your posts quoted for you to read back in one go - if you read them back in one go out loud you might come to the same conclusion as most people on here in that you sound like a right bell at this moment in time

Im undecided though which way you will go though if we get to the final - front of the queue salivating for a ticket or sat at home trying to listen to it on wireless probably wearing a covid mask 

16 minutes ago, elppaxr2i said:

All 3 of your posts quoted for you to read back in one go - if you read them back in one go out loud you might come to the same conclusion as most people on here in that you sound like a right bell at this moment in time

Im undecided though which way you will go though if we get to the final - front of the queue salivating for a ticket or sat at home trying to listen to it on wireless probably wearing a covid mask 

Mmme I'm a bell because I don't agree with what other people think?. Plus I'm not really sure what wearing a Covid mask had got to do with anything?. 

Anyway, you have a nice day pal.

There are relevant points being made. But the positives |ARE: We entered the competition with a hope of winning it. During the rounds we could have got injuries. Not much money for the winners of the competition but the accolades and support will enhance our reputation for the future.  Let's go for it with all our endeavour and give it our best.  Further from a psychological view , think of the confidence it will give the players for future contests.  

15 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yes but apart from the players wanting to play at Wembley, the chairman wanting to lead his side out at Wembley, the fans getting their first chance to watch Fev at Wembley for 38 years, the national publicity on Cup Final day, and the chance to win some silverware...what has the 1895 Cup ever done for us?

Meanwhile Toulouse are p*ssing themselves on their procession to the league leaders shield playing the odd game every now and then against opponents most of which don't bother turning up (literally in some cases), and as a result picking up fewer injuries etc etc...

That Wembley win will be long forgotten when we lose another close million pound game overseas.

9 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Meanwhile Toulouse are p*ssing themselves on their procession to the league leaders shield playing the odd game every now and then against opponents most of which don't bother turning up (literally in some cases), and as a result picking up fewer injuries etc etc...

That Wembley win will be long forgotten when we lose another close million pound game overseas.

More seriously...it's a fair point, I think you can argue it either way. I do think it's more justifiable this year given that we have a much larger squad than in previous years, but can see why people would argue otherwise.

8 hours ago, RobLambert said:

procession to the league leaders shield BUT if they dont play their differential points % wont change 

if we do and keep winning piling on the points our's will which could put US top of the league

fewer injuries YES picking up fewer injuries  is nice but not playing means you lose your  game fitness and when it comes to the crunch playing a good side who have been playing regular you come unstuck

long forgotten long forgotton will never happen for a start it will go on FEV archive for posterity and  will be remembered by people who went or watched for years to come 

lose another close million pound game overseas.  so you really think were not good enough to beat TO interesting

as for overseas  final you got to remember in 2019 the RFL thought it was going to be a TWP and TO final and didn't want 250 turning up at headngley on the telly so opted for TWP with their alleged 10000 crowd this year all the talk is about a neutral venue but having said that we all know about the RFL so it could be played on the moon🌜

lose a close 

1 hour ago, POR said:

as for overseas  final you got to remember in 2019 the RFL thought it was going to be a TWP and TO final and didn't want 250 turning up at headngley on the telly so opted for TWP with their alleged 10000 crowd this year all the talk is about a neutral venue but having said that we all know about the RFL so it could be played on the moon🌜

lose a close 

There were nowt alleged about the capacity in Toronto mate. Watching fev in a crowd of that size was buzzin. 

Moving on..... I genuinely think we'll do toulouse in a final. Usually I'm a half empty miserable 2@, but I have a ridiculously positive feeling about this season.

22 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

There were nowt alleged about the capacity in Toronto mate. Watching fev in a crowd of that size was buzzin. 

Moving on..... I genuinely think we'll do toulouse in a final. Usually I'm a half empty miserable 2@, but I have a ridiculously positive feeling about this season.

I agree I am also positive about us winning this season butt.... I also think that the structure will be changed to a SL 1 & 2 with 10 teams in each thus well be denied again. 😔 

9 minutes ago, lingaro said:

To be honest I would feel a little cheated if we go to Wembley in the micky mouse cup and our neighbours make the final of the real deal look down their nose 👃 at us.  Not for me thanks. 

I'm under no illusions as to what the 1895 cup really is, but I want the lads to play and win at Wembley.

That said, Cas making the final would really take the edge off.

2 hours ago, POR said:

procession to the league leaders shield BUT if they dont play their differential points % wont change if we do and keep winning piling on the points our's will which could put US top of the league

long forgotten long forgotton will never happen for a start it will go on FEV archive for posterity and  will be remembered by people who went or watched for years to come 

lose another close million pound game overseas.  so you really think were not good enough to beat TO interesting

Just on these 3 points.  

Yes it's based on % but to me it stands to reason that it's advantageous to play fewer games.  (Less chance of the inevitable slip up or two which happens over a longer season.  Plus when you consider they've already been given a walk over against a full-time team (you would think one of the few that could have challenged them)

Depends what you think about a cup which has a select number of entrants and the best team other than us is not taking part.

Yes I would say Toulouse would be favourites to win at their place

What a lot of miserable comments. Let's play the game do our best and get where we can. Dismal speculation is not the right way to look at things, let's be optimistic and cheerful. When you think of the things that the Rovers have gone through surely we should be cheerful about how we are going. Jump hurdles when you get to them, go down the path that is presented to you and do your best. The experience of your efforts in life ALWAYS comes in useful in the future. At 87 I have always followed that path and the past experiences have ALWAYS  come in useful in how to act in the future. 

43 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

Just on these 3 points.  

Yes it's based on % but to me it stands to reason that it's advantageous to play fewer games.  (Less chance of the inevitable slip up or two which happens over a longer season.  Plus when you consider they've already been given a walk over against a full-time team (you would think one of the few that could have challenged them)

Depends what you think about a cup which has a select number of entrants and the best team other than us is not taking part.

But they didn't win at their place in the Semi final in 2019 Rob. In fact they were eventually hammered I'm a believer in playing your strongest team in every game unless trying different rotations in friendlies. Otherwise their is little point in the game. Though I do appreciate your views and others. Nice to have debate.

59 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

Just on these 3 points.  

select number of entrants This year  early rounds of the Challenge Cup  acted as the early rounds of the 1895 Cup.[1] The four teams progressing the furthest in the Challenge Cup will also become the semi-finalists of the 1895 Cup so unlike 2019 when some teams did not enter because of midweek games this year everyone was in the cup so they didn't  select  the number of entrants

best team other than us is not taking part. That's true but their non entry was not down to non selection but their decision not to enter the challenge cup again something they also did in 18 19 and 20 so you've chosen to denigrate a cup competition because THEY choose not to participate is somewhat interesting

10 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

I'm under no illusions as to what the 1895 cup really is, but I want the lads to play and win at Wembley.

That said, Cas making the final would really take the edge off.

Why? What better way to spend the day watching Fev win and C*s lose?

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

Just as an aside, there is a further scenario which rests on the outcome of this game...if we lose, AND if France is on the green list by the weekend of 17th July (which is probably unlikely given the latest stated of affairs Covid-wise), we would have to go to France to play Toulouse. If we win, we'll be at Wembley that weekend and the Toulouse away game won't be played at all, meaning we will only have to play Toulouse at home this year.

Sounds typical of the RFL. By the way your knowledge PH is quite something, and is always well worth reading.

Archived