Match Thread: The 1895 Cup Semi-final, Featherstone Rovers v Widnes Sunday-6th-June-2021

2 hours ago, haskey said:

Sounds typical of the RFL. By the way your knowledge PH is quite something, and is always well worth reading.

Don't flatter him! His head's big enough as it is!🤣🤣

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Just as an aside, there is a further scenario which rests on the outcome of this game...if we lose, AND if France is on the green list by the weekend of 17th July (which is probably unlikely given the latest stated of affairs Covid-wise), we would have to go to France to play Toulouse. If we win, we'll be at Wembley that weekend and the Toulouse away game won't be played at all, meaning we will only have to play Toulouse at home this year.

Will we get one point each then IF we don't play them ? Surely they should have had a solution knowing what could happen ?

13 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Will we get one point each then IF we don't play them ? Surely they should have had a solution knowing what could happen ?

I don't think so, I think it's one of the reasons we are using percentages instead of points . The game will just simply not take place.

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

16 minutes ago, roversspud said:

I don't think so, I think it's one of the reasons we are using percentages instead of points . The game will just simply not take place.

^ This. The percentage system was brought in precisely because of the possibility that this might happen. It's not Toulouse's fault that it can't take place,  nor is it our fault, so the % system protects both teams from being unfairly negatively impacted.

Latest regarding bradford game being called off

"While clubs are required to have played 70 per cent of their scheduled fixtures to be eligible for the play-offs, the RFL Board previously ruled that Toulouse matches postponed as a result of the current quarantine regulations will not count as postponed for either Toulouse or their opponents.

In this case, neither Toulouse nor Bradford will be penalised for circumstances beyond their control.

In making this decision, the Board noted that French Government quarantine regulations make it unreasonable to require Toulouse to play any more away matches."

4 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Love it how Toulouse pick and choose who they are willing to play their home games in England against.......

No worries , they will be in superleague next season so won't give you any concerns 😀😀😀

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

^ This. The percentage system was brought in precisely because of the possibility that this might happen. It's not Toulouse's fault that it can't take place,  nor is it our fault, so the % system protects both teams from being unfairly negatively impacted.

Although it is possibly getting silly now (note the last sentence of the article)

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/35514/toulouse-olympique-versus-bradford-bulls-cancelled

Edit: just noticed POR already flagged this

2 hours ago, POR said:

Latest regarding bradford game being called off

"While clubs are required to have played 70 per cent of their scheduled fixtures to be eligible for the play-offs, the RFL Board previously ruled that Toulouse matches postponed as a result of the current quarantine regulations will not count as postponed for either Toulouse or their opponents.

In this case, neither Toulouse nor Bradford will be penalised for circumstances beyond their control.

In making this decision, the Board noted that French Government quarantine regulations make it unreasonable to require Toulouse to play any more away matches."

'In making this decision, the Board noted that under French Government regulations Toulouse’s players are subject to a seven-day quarantine period following any trip to the UK, making it unreasonable to require them to play any more away matches'

I'd only just sussed out what the situation with Toulouse was.....until I read this.  Is it just me that doesn't get it ??

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Please explain how they are picking and choosing...

Well they have switched home games against Widnes and Swinton to the UK. They haven't against London, Featherstone, and now it seems, Bradford. 

6 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Well they have switched home games against Widnes and Swinton to the UK. They haven't against London, Featherstone, and now it seems, Bradford. 

home games against Widnes and Swinton  switched because they only play  them once so aren't looking to fit in a postponement later on in season 

NOW we got rid of the second Frankie H from the squad It's full of  all the usual suspects😀

Last week Jack B and Josh H named in squad but missed out due to injury  named again this week wonder if anythings changed  if they both play looks like any two from Calum F Luke C and JD for places on the bench 

Regarding hookers I prefer Conner J starting think he's more robust and Dean P extra pace more effective coming off bench 

Where's Kris W told last week  missed due to covid  would have thought he's had time to mitigate his lockdown  but misses again interesting!!!!!!

That was a very hard watch. Very frustrating. Panic rugby with a ridiculous error rate from both sides. Widnes blew a golden opportunity to at least level that..... grady .... what a tool. The game was there.

Result.... well I'll take the win. Of course, and with two back rowers cover outside backs to add to an already shocking injury list, I'll take the win gift wrapped considering Widnes had a reight dig at us.

But bug ger me, made heavy weather of that.

Yes that was a difficult watch. Definitely one of our lesser performances of the year, I don't know if we got complacent after going so far ahead so early but cohesion was lacking and we had some really weak defensive moments too.

Fair play to Widnes who gave it everything after the opening 15 minutes.

Still, we got the job done and we're off to Wembley!

For a change we did not have to comment about the ref, but we did make heavy weather particularly after going 16  up and as has been said a bit of complacency crept in. A score after half time would have been nice. We were blowing at the end , and I think if they had scored towards the end when by rights they should have, Tyrer would not have missed a drop.

Archived