Jump to content

England squad


Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Moove said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/57560829

Williams, McGillvary and Wardle left out. King injured and Sarginson banned

williams wont be insured out of contract with a club - he wouldnt be any less match fit than coming back from a niggle or a suspension

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


westerman limiting himself to 4 pints and a small kebab on thurs nite in preparation for friday 

  • Haha 1

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From the 19 named my guess is. It’s a poor England team and I expect very different to the one that will play Samoa which brings into question the game and a Full Time National coach. I expect the All Stars to win if they can get access to the best players available.

1 Tomkins

2 Davis 

3 Lyne

4 Bateman

5 Makinson 

6 Lomax

7 Gale

8 Walmsley

9 Clark

10 Oledski 

11 Currie

12 Farrell

13 Knowles

14 Cooper

15 Philbin

16 Ratchford

17 Mcshane

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Wouldn’t call that a poor side, centres aside.

‘Tis a pity Jake Connor is a 🔔🔚as he was very good at left centre in the 2018 Test series against New Zealand.

It's a decent side, and a chance to see what this spine can do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree, it is not a poor side.  The pack is strong and the spine may well be the one we see in the World Cup (perhaps with Williams coming in).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’s a decent side for Super League level, but International Rugby should be a step up from that. Our centres, back rowers and the bench isn’t looking World Class IMO.

I agree on the centres (if they line up that way) but Currie and Farrell are both very good players.  Maybe not the very best in the world but still top quality.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I agree on the centres (if they line up that way) but Currie and Farrell are both very good players.  Maybe not the very best in the world but still top quality.

Interesting.   What do you think Farrell is good at specifically? What are his strong points as an international 2nd rower in 2021?

 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Interesting.   What do you think Farrell is good at specifically? What are his strong points as an international 2nd rower in 2021?

 

He is specifically a very good ball runner.  In particular his ability to run good angles and find a weak link in the defence.

His strong points as an international 2nd row is his mobility, his running, his support game and his ability to shift well in both attack and defence.  In 2021 the game is faster than ever and his mobility is a really important strength. 

To counter this, a lot would point to his lack of size and this probably does keep him below the very best in the world.

But Farrell will never be a weak link in a team and I don't think he would be in this England side.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

He is specifically a very good ball runner.  In particular his ability to run good angles and find a weak link in the defence.

His strong points as an international 2nd row is his mobility, his running, his support game and his ability to shift well in both attack and defence.  In 2021 the game is faster than ever and his mobility is a really important strength. 

To counter this, a lot would point to his lack of size and this probably does keep him below the very best in the world.

But Farrell will never be a weak link in a team and I don't think he would be in this England side.

Fair enough. Do you not think he has slowed down a bit due to his age?

I figured an aging, undersized 2nd rower is probably not what you need against some of these big, mobile Polynesian players that a lot of the top sides seem to trot out with. 

I noticed he was in the centres for Wigan a few weeks ago, and honestly I was really surprised.

Cheers for the reply though. Appreciated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

From the 19 named my guess is. It’s a poor England team and I expect very different to the one that will play Samoa which brings into question the game and a Full Time National coach. I expect the All Stars to win if they can get access to the best players available.

1 Tomkins

2 Davis 

3 Lyne

4 Bateman

5 Makinson 

6 Lomax

7 Gale

8 Walmsley

9 Clark

10 Oledski 

11 Currie

12 Farrell

13 Knowles

14 Cooper

15 Philbin

16 Ratchford

17 Mcshane

I'd have Ratchford in the centres, Bateman into the second row and farrell to the bench but apart form that i cant see any other options really.. the centre spot is very weak with no specialist. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd stick Makinson in the centres and Handley on the wing. Though I imagine Wane will go with Bateman in the centres.

I'm not a Jake Connor fan at all, but seems ridiculous that he's lining up against England, rather than in the centres for England for this match.

 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, RP London said:

I'd have Ratchford in the centres, Bateman into the second row and farrell to the bench but apart form that i cant see any other options really.. the centre spot is very weak with no specialist. 

 

17 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

I'd stick Makinson in the centres and Handley on the wing. Though I imagine Wane will go with Bateman in the centres.

I'm not a Jake Connor fan at all, but seems ridiculous that he's lining up against England, rather than in the centres for England for this match.

 

We had a good young centre in the squad,seems ridiculous not having a look at Wardle,even more so if he sticks a backrower in there.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Interesting.   What do you think Farrell is good at specifically? What are his strong points as an international 2nd rower in 2021?

 

Best line runner in Superleague with a great engine & work ethic.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Davo5 said:

 

We had a good young centre in the squad,seems ridiculous not having a look at Wardle,even more so if he sticks a backrower in there.

yep totally agree

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/06/2021 at 17:53, EastLondonMike said:

I'd stick Makinson in the centres and Handley on the wing. Though I imagine Wane will go with Bateman in the centres.

 

 

Makinson has been tried at Centre for Saints and TBH it wasn't a very successful switch. By far & away his best position is on the wing (though he did win a GF playing at Full Back)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...