These People Must Be In a UK Rugby League Independent Commission

Cups are confusing for the general pubic it needs someone with b---s to dump it YES DUMP IT the CC is like the Parrot its an ex cup it has ceased to be.

Put the cup in a museum 

Move the SL Grand Final to Wembley with a 2 week gap from the semi final winners.

Its either that or just watch it die a slow death.

And as for the BBC just have MORE INTERNATIONALS.

Paul

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You didn't do the same. You ignored many other data points which showed that the likes of Wire v Leeds actually beat that crowd you quoted, making your conclusion highly flawed.

I did precisely the same. I ignored loads of variables because that's what you did. That was exactly my point.

1 minute ago, Archie Gordon said:

I did precisely the same. I ignored loads of variables because that's what you did. That was exactly my point.

Do you think Huddersfield took as low a following as Catalans to Wembley?

Even if you want to ignore the evidence, what's your feeling?

11 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Cups are confusing for the general pubic it needs someone with b---s to dump it YES DUMP IT the CC is like the Parrot its an ex cup it has ceased to be.

Put the cup in a museum 

Move the SL Grand Final to Wembley with a 2 week gap from the semi final winners.

Paul

I think it would be silly to scrap a comp that gets large RL viewing figures, and is usually one of the top 5 biggest RL crowds in the world each year.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Do you think Huddersfield took as low a following as Catalans to Wembley?

Haha. That's a different question. It's not even the right question. The better question is do I think Huddersfield would have taken as low a following as Cats in 2018.

There really is limited evidence one way or another. But I am pretty sure that Huddersfield would have brought fewer in 2018 than they did a decade earlier because all teams seem to do so. And it's that general decline that needs arresting.

1 minute ago, Archie Gordon said:

Haha. That's a different question. It's not even the right question. The better question is do I think Huddersfield would have taken as low a following as Cats in 2018.

There really is limited evidence one way or another. But I am pretty sure that Huddersfield would have brought fewer in 2018 than they did a decade earlier because all teams seem to do so. And it's that general decline that needs arresting.

It isn't controversial to accept that Catalans are likely to bring the lowest crowd of any team in the comp for a final. We just need to accept that for what it is. That's life.

I've made the point before to compare to another comparable sport, they have had 3 Euro finals at Twickenham - 1 between English teams at 81k, 1 between Irish teams at 81k and 1 between French teams at 57k. Whilst this will obviously hit the income streams, it is just a cost of doing business - we don't have a right to 70k crowds - we don't need to panic. 

Wire on visit 6 took far fewer than on visit 1. Salford v Hudds would likely be a lower crowd than Wigan v Leeds for example. 

We have a tendency to overreact in RL, and I think that is what the bond thing was, but we also shouldn't be so insecure that we can't accept that sometimes circumstances will lead to lower crowds - we just crack on and get the most we can, and then go again the year later.

8 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

The point i was making was how inept and insular the RFL have become under Rimmer. An independent commission would probably recommend that the whole of the RFL board be replaced with more able people who had a plan for the long term, and not make Rugby League the laughing stock of British sport which it has become

I think that the independent commission would probably view that suggestion for a whole second before getting on with their job.

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

That was the first final at the new Wembley , I went , not been again for RL 

A genuine question then: is there anything that could get you back to Wembley for a Challenge Cup final short of your team being in it?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It seems there are no officers, no members, no objective, no schedule, no tasks, no activities, no start date, no delivery date, no members, no one to ask questions to whom, about what, why, where and when. 

Apart from that, it's going really well. 

4 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Put the cup in a museum 

Paul

Nope it needs someone with balls to make it a proper occasion again.

To me that means getting rid of the ridiculous 1895 Cup and having the women’s challenge cup final as the double-header.

Putting men and women (fast growing area) together as per world cup.

And yes more Internationals too on the BBC!

3 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

Nope it needs someone with balls to make it a proper occasion again.

To me that means getting rid of the ridiculous 1895 Cup and having the women’s challenge cup final as the double-header.

Putting men and women (fast growing area) together as per world cup.

And yes more Internationals too on the BBC!

And what will make it ' Proper ' ? 

As a neutral I would go to the Challenge Cup Final before the Super League Grand Final every day of the week. 

The Challenge Cup final is still a fun day out with plenty of fans from loads of different clubs enjoying the game.

The Grand Final is full of drunken idiots throwing up or fighting (OK, not full of them but enough to spoil the day).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

41 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

And what will make it ' Proper ' ? 

To be honest I’m not sure, and that was probably the wrong word, but I think there is still mileage as long as the BBC are still interested in it. 

By having a double-header we give them more of an offer and you’d hope with some marketing we can try and sell it as a true family occasion again. 

Could we even make it a triple header and host a wheelchair final? Yes some very big technical issues in terms of building a temporary structure (and may not be possible) but has been done for Street Games in athletics etc. First sport to do this at Wembley.. we having a history of innovation and need to keep pushing this.

Just needs some big ideas and

investment to try and make a celebration of the games across all groups.

1 minute ago, theswanmcr said:

To be honest I’m not sure, and that was probably the wrong word, but I think there is still mileage as long as the BBC are still interested in it. 

By having a double-header we give them more of an offer and you’d hope with some marketing we can try and sell it as a true family occasion again. 

Could we even make it a triple header and host a wheelchair final? Yes some very big technical issues in terms of building a temporary structure (and may not be possible) but has been done for Street Games in athletics etc. First sport to do this at Wembley.. we having a history of innovation and need to keep pushing this.

Just needs some big ideas and

investment to try and make a celebration of the games across all groups.

How many fans do you think you'd entice in early rather than staying outside on the beer ? 

On 07/07/2021 at 14:39, The Daddy said:

As mentioned any person with a current or direct affiliation would obviously not be able to serve on a commission, whether an individual with a previous affiliation is deemed not independent is down to interpretation.

There’s no way that Sinfield and Peacock could be truly objective whether they’re involved with Leeds or not. Either way, I’ve seen nothing from Sinfield or Peacock administratively to suggest they have the experience or intelligence to front an independent commission.  

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

How many fans do you think you'd entice in early rather than staying outside on the beer ? 

Not many but it’s not just about that… we’ve the Grand Final and Magic Weekend that offer that (as mentioned by other posters).

It’s also about making it a big and different occasion for media/tv too - with plenty of stories to tell. And the bigger picture of giving players who aren’t just men the chance and incentive to play at Wembley.

1 minute ago, theswanmcr said:

Not many but it’s not just about that… we’ve the Grand Final and Magic Weekend that offer that (as mentioned by other posters).

It’s also about making it a big and different occasion for media/tv too - with plenty of stories to tell. And the bigger picture of giving players who aren’t just men the chance and incentive to play at Wembley.

You've just answered the question , we used to have only the CC final , we now have 2 other events to entice and take the money , one of them ( MW ) that includes every SL clubs fans 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

You've just answered the question , we used to have only the CC final , we now have 2 other events to entice and take the money , one of them ( MW ) that includes every SL clubs fans 

Yep I don’t disagree with that. So we either live with the CC final as it is (and stagnant/slowly diminishing crowds) or try to change things and market it to a potentially bigger or different fan base.

The RFL could go the other way and really push the heritage angle - with NRL round style old jerseys etc - and emphasise the history. Either way for me it needs a clear reason to exist when cups are struggling in all sports.

4 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

Yep I don’t disagree with that. So we either live with the CC final as it is (and stagnant/slowly diminishing crowds) or try to change things and market it to a potentially bigger or different fan base.

The RFL could go the other way and really push the heritage angle - with NRL round style old jerseys etc - and emphasise the history. Either way for me it needs a clear reason to exist when cups are struggling in all sports.

Or we just need more RL fans 

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Or we just need more RL fans 

Well yeah but surely the CC Final as a major occasion should be used as a way to attract more/new fans (I dunno - loads of tickets to London schools etc).

What do you suggest?

Just now, theswanmcr said:

Well yeah but surely the CC Final as a major occasion should be used as a way to attract more/new fans (I dunno - loads of tickets to London schools etc).

What do you suggest?

Not got a clue , but I'd suggest more needs to be done by clubs to get more fans through their turnstiles at their stadiums , fans are essentially club centric , as I was asked earlier , I went to the first CC Final at the new Wembley , but doubt I'd ever go to another unless it involved my club 

Archived