Jump to content

So What's The Plan From Here?


Recommended Posts

England internationals should be:

Mid season int in Canada or USA . Say if you maintain a semi pro league we will keep coming over every year to play you. If Eng play Canada one year get Ireland to go to USA and France to go to Quebec to play a game the other one. 

One mid season int in Eng (Eng vs Celtic nations isn´t the worst concept) then 4 nations tournament (Eng France , Jamaica plus one.) end of season with 3 games and a final. That´s 6 internationals a year for England RL , four of them in Christmas shopping times which is nice to get a commercial FTA channel. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, iangidds said:

How minority are we going ? It seems to me we are getting more minority all the time hence the smaller tv deals and less or no money for the lower levels; is that doing well?

I think that we need to look at the current deal against similar deals in the past. The one that has just finished was a particularly large deal against all that had gone before.

IIRC there were two drivers, the possibility BT would bid driving the price up and the major overhaul of the "every minute counts" competitions, in which the MPG took the limelight off Superleague.

Add to that the driver of  SKY not getting value for their money  this and last year due to covid which could be seen as a Clawaback, so we take the hit of not delivering to SKY......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think on a domestic and international  level we need to strengthen and build on what we have already got. 

1. We need to support where the game is already strong and aggressively push into schools and help strengthen existing community clubs in these areas, whilst looking to add more clubs where there are gaps. This needs to be done by using the local professional club as the nucleus for this.

2. Assist clubs outside the heartlands with development at community level. Clubs such as Newcastle, Coventry, Sheffield, both London clubs, both Welsh clubs plus any ambitious clubs like Bristol All Golds, Nottingham Outlaws, Devon Sharks. Work with these clubs and help with setting up junior clubs in and around their catchment areas.

3. Selling out the showpiece events such as CC final, GF, Magic Weekend and create a buzz for these events.

4. All clubs, professional and amateur, working together with the common goal of growing, improving and selling the game.

5. Regular Internationals for all NH teams in mid season and at the end of the season. Give the opportunity for France and possibly Wales, Scotland and Ireland to play against England.

6. Work together with the FRL to help develop the game in France. This could include aligning Elite 1 with the Championship so they could either compete for promotion to SL (long term objective) or play a Treize Tournoi style competition involving the top clubs from each competition. 

Probably other things could be done too but that's enough for now!

 

Edited by JM2010
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

England internationals should be:

Mid season int in Canada or USA .

England played New zealand in the USA in a first class International to promote a possible world cup there IIRC, the low interest and attention that received sadly saw the pulling of the world cup in the USA.  Been there, done that, didn't work even with the Kiwi's on show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BridBeachRL said:

Agreed household names play full sized RU with Europe, international and B&I Lions at the top of the sport. However why can't RL 13 a side players be household names. The RFL or Super League need to look at marketing better. If people saw our sport, our players and how good the on field product was that might convince others to get onboard. But if you are inclusive whether intentional or not from the Toronto debacle to others then the Sport will be a slow burner and we can enjoy our bit whilst what happens... Happens

Just how to you expect RL players to become household names if they play in smallish, rundown, economically disadvantaged towns?  You'll never get the public at large to bother with them on that basis.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Just how to you expect RL players to become household names if they play in smallish, rundown, economically disadvantaged towns?  You'll never get the public at large to bother with them on that basis.

Through coverage on the BBC especially Challenge cup games and internationals, in which the sporting public get to see the games stars play. The .owns have nothing to do with it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, steve oates said:

Through coverage on the BBC especially Challenge cup games and internationals, in which the sporting public get to see the games stars play. The .owns have nothing to do with it 

On the contrary when the great majority of the public have never even heard of those towns and most of the minority who have heard of them look down on them because they see them as rundown, downmarket places which don't fit their idea of places where big time pro sport is played, the towns have a lot to do with it.  In those circumstances they're an obstacle to any RL players becoming household names.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, steve oates said:

Through coverage on the BBC especially Challenge cup games and internationals, in which the sporting public get to see the games stars play. The .owns have nothing to do with it 

The BBC's challenge cup final this year was a complete triumph for the game. The best yet.

With the same commentary team, on a lovely new ground (LSV or Wimbledon say?) on a glorious sunny day, England/Wales v USA (or Jamaica or France or etc. etc) would do the game a power of good.

Let's get it on.

I'd like to see John Dutton engaged as the co-ordinator/project manager for the establishment of a regular 4/5/6 nations tournament in the NH if he's not completely heartbroken over the disgraceful betrayal by the Australians this week.

His handling of the World Cup has been exemplary. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

The BBC's challenge cup final this year was a complete triumph for the game. The best yet.

With the same commentary team, on a lovely new ground (LSV or Wimbledon say?) on a glorious sunny day, England/Wales v USA (or Jamaica or France or etc. etc) would do the game a power of good.

Let's get it on.

I'd like to see John Dutton engaged as the co-ordinator/project manager for the establishment of a regular 4/5/6 nations tournament in the NH if he's not completely heartbroken over the disgraceful betrayal by the Australians this week.

His handling of the World Cup has been exemplary. 

 

Don't suggest the LSV , RL fans go everywhere on the train 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Just how to you expect RL players to become household names if they play in smallish, rundown, economically disadvantaged towns?  You'll never get the public at large to bother with them on that basis.

Adam Peaty is from Uttoxeter. He's more famous than any RL player in England right now. 

Geography is not our problem. Telling our story is the problem. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd like to see a bit more innovation in terms of how the game is presented both in the ground and on TV. BBC's sports videos often have plays of the week for the NFL or baseball - there's never anything like this even produced by the Super League's own youtube channel. Channel 4 revolutionised cricket coverage when they took it on in the late 90s. I'd love to see something similar for RL, because the production hasn't changed a whole lot since Super League began 25 years ago. For example, every team uses GPS data to track how hard the players are working - why can't the TV production company use this data to create a bit more excitement for the viewers by highlighting how big some of the hits are in terms of G forces, how fast the players are running? Could they calculate air time for spectacular try finishes etc? There's constant talk about creating star players, but can we do a bit more with the presentation to help highlight great skills/contributions? The current stats are interesting enough, but they're the same ones that they've been using for 25 years. They need to jazz it up a bit IMO. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, steve oates said:

England played New zealand in the USA in a first class International to promote a possible world cup there IIRC, the low interest and attention that received sadly saw the pulling of the world cup in the USA.  Been there, done that, didn't work even with the Kiwi's on show.

So not USA playing in their own country then and thus completely different. So havent been there, havent done that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Adam Peaty is from Uttoxeter. He's more famous than any RL player in England right now. 

Geography is not our problem. Telling our story is the problem. 

Not having internationals is the problem. National games get national coverage and mean special moments in these games are amplified significantly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JM2010 said:

I think on a domestic and international  level we need to strengthen and build on what we have already got. 

1. We need to support where the game is already strong and aggressively push into schools and help strengthen existing community clubs in these areas, whilst looking to add more clubs where there are gaps. This needs to be done by using the local professional club as the nucleus for this.

2. Assist clubs outside the heartlands with development at community level. Clubs such as Newcastle, Coventry, Sheffield, both London clubs, both Welsh clubs plus any ambitious clubs like Bristol All Golds, Nottingham Outlaws, Devon Sharks. Work with these clubs and help with setting up junior clubs in and around their catchment areas.

3. Selling out the showpiece events such as CC final, GF, Magic Weekend and create a buzz for these events.

4. All clubs, professional and amateur, working together with the common goal of growing, improving and selling the game.

5. Regular Internationals for all NH teams in mid season and at the end of the season. Give the opportunity for France and possibly Wales, Scotland and Ireland to play against England.

6. Work together with the FRL to help develop the game in France. This could include aligning Elite 1 with the Championship so they could either compete for promotion to SL (long term objective) or play a Treize Tournoi style competition involving the top clubs from each competition. 

Probably other things could be done too but that's enough for now!

 

For me everything is around internationals. If players for other nations know they are going to get regular games against England it will transform the seriousness and profile of these European tournaments. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Throw the six figure salary given to Elstone at a marketing and PR company who take charge of all Super League clubs marketing and PR and take charge of all major events and finals. 

 

Why don't the clubs just employ more capable people? 

Different clubs will have different target audiences and marketing priorities - they should own their own promotion. 

The clubs are the primary point of sale for the sport. We don't (or shouldn't) need a "guru" running it centrally because a) we should be holding the clubs to better standards on that front and b) getting a "guru" is pointless if you don't know the audience you want to attract and the objective from your marketing. 

Asking someone to come in and "run the CC Final" will get you a lot of short term advertising for the CC Final, but it will achieve nothing in the longer term - the CC Finals problems aren't problems you can advertise your way out of. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Not having internationals is the problem. National games get national coverage and mean special moments in these games are amplified significantly. 

More internationals would help, but we don't have them so the sport has to work with what it's got. Blaming the lack of internationals is finding an excuse. 

We have so many stories to tell. We have so much amazing content. The sport just sucks at capturing and telling them and no amount of internationals changes that fact.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Why don't the clubs just employ more capable people? 

Different clubs will have different target audiences and marketing priorities - they should own their own promotion. 

The clubs are the primary point of sale for the sport. We don't (or shouldn't) need a "guru" running it centrally because a) we should be holding the clubs to better standards on that front and b) getting a "guru" is pointless if you don't know the audience you want to attract and the objective from your marketing. 

Asking someone to come in and "run the CC Final" will get you a lot of short term advertising for the CC Final, but it will achieve nothing in the longer term - the CC Finals problems aren't problems you can advertise your way out of. 

 

Because the clubs are, largely, potless themselves so stuff like marketing and PR goes by the wayside and the game gets next to no coverage beyond the regional Evening Newspapers. 

Marketing and PR of the 2013 and 2021 (so far) World Cups has projected Rugby League into the eyes, ears and hands of so many more people than any Super League club can. It’s exactly what the game needs. 

Competent marketeers and PR professionals know that one size does not fit all and there are different needs and desires for each project or in our case, each club or event. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, steve oates said:

England played New zealand in the USA in a first class International to promote a possible world cup there IIRC, the low interest and attention that received sadly saw the pulling of the world cup in the USA.  Been there, done that, didn't work even with the Kiwi's on show.

The proposed WC in NA was pulled due to it being proposed and run by the same people that organised the Denver test (a game the NRL tried their hardest to scupper) and those people had not been forthcoming with money promised to the RFL and NZRL for taking part in the game long after the game had happened. The IRL (or RLIF as it was then called) did not support the bid as a consequence. It was that which led to the 2025 WC being taken from that group and thus from NA.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

More internationals would help, but we don't have them so the sport has to work with what it's got. Blaming the lack of internationals is finding an excuse. 

I disagree. Internationals resonate far more with the wider population that the club game does.

12 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

We have so many stories to tell. We have so much amazing content. The sport just sucks at capturing and telling them and no amount of internationals changes that fact.

I agree that the sport does 'suck' at telling our stories, but ultimately internationals are likely to reach a far wider audience to hear these stories than the club game. It's the same with every other sport in this country. Even soccer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Because the clubs are, largely, potless themselves so stuff like marketing and PR goes by the wayside and the game gets next to no coverage beyond the regional Evening Newspapers. 

Marketing and PR of the 2013 and 2021 (so far) World Cups has projected Rugby League into the eyes, ears and hands of so many more people than any Super League club can. It’s exactly what the game needs. 

Competent marketeers and PR professionals know that one size does not fit all and there are different needs and desires for each project or in our case, each club or event. 

So we're dividing up a marketing and PR function to replace for 12 SL clubs, all with their own audiences and priority markets, as well as the central marketing of SL, RFL and their respective events? Either this is going to be a big function, or it's going to be spread very thinly. 

The clubs have no issue finding the funds for another NRL dropout as they become available - isn't the issue simply one of not having the right priorities. 

If you're doing marketing and advertising right, it isn't a cost centre. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

I disagree. Internationals resonate far more with the wider population that the club game does.

I agree that the sport does 'suck' at telling our stories, but ultimately internationals are likely to reach a far wider audience to hear these stories than the club game. It's the same with every other sport in this country. Even soccer.

But we don't have an international calendar at the moment  I get that they are beneficial, but we don't have one, so what do we do? Shrug our shoulders and say "there's nothing we can do"? Or does the sport think creatively and work with what it does have?

No amount of wishing makes the Australians and Kiwis more enthusiastic about playing England more often - we can't wait around for that to change. 

So the "problem" isn't internationals. The "problem" is that the sport isn't doing enough with the assets it does have. 

Edited by whatmichaelsays
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Just how to you expect RL players to become household names if they play in smallish, rundown, economically disadvantaged towns?  You'll never get the public at large to bother with them on that basis.

If that is the case, why aren't players from Leeds, Hull and the other bigger places with RL Clubs already household names?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

For me everything is around internationals. If players for other nations know they are going to get regular games against England it will transform the seriousness and profile of these European tournaments. 

I agree that we need lots of international fixtures for the NH nations which can then drive the development of RL in those countries. Internationals on their own isn't enough imo

Edited by JM2010
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

But we don't have an international calendar at the moment  I get that they are beneficial, but we don't have one, so what do we do? Shrug our shoulders and say "there's nothing we can do"? Or does the sport think creatively and work with what it does have?

No amount of wishing makes the Australians and Kiwis more enthusiastic about playing England more often - we can't wait around for that to change. 

So the "problem" isn't internationals. The "problem" is that the sport isn't doing enough with the assets it does have. 

I really enjoy reading your posts because I do think that they often really hit on serious problems within RL. And I agree that the sport doesn't do anywhere near enough with the assets it has. That said, I still think any cut-through will have a limited ceiling unless we can create more assets in the form of internationals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...