Jump to content

League Restructure Thread (Merged Threads)


Recommended Posts

As reported by Johnny Davidson. According to him, The RFL are due to meet today with the clubs to discuss the future of Super League, Championship and League One. Also, no relegation from Super League is allegedly on the cards. 

Groundhog Day. I’m off to buy some ale at lunch to forget today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


24 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

As reported by Johnny Davidson. According to him, The RFL are due to meet today with the clubs to discuss the future of Super League, Championship and League One. Also, no relegation from Super League is allegedly on the cards. 

Groundhog Day. I’m off to buy some ale at lunch to forget today.

Before the pub opens Hela  what would be your ideal outcome from the meeting, the way you have posed the statement I am wondering are the SL not involved, and if they are who would be the representatives, and is that a select number of clubs or all clubs top to bottom?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Before the pub opens Hela  what would be your ideal outcome from the meeting, the way you have posed the statement I am wondering are the SL not involved, and if they are who would be the representatives, and is that a select number of clubs or all clubs top to bottom?

From what Davidson has wrote, Super League are involved in these discussions.

As for what my outcome from the meeting would be, a roadmap that’s longer than my front drive, tbh, and one thats not going to be binned in eighteen months for a mish-mash of two or three previous structures that we’ve used before that will then be binned eighteen months after for something else we’ve done before. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In 66AD the Roman writer Caius Petronius wrote:

'We trained very hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams, we would be reorganised. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganising and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralisation.'

Rugby League - the game that keeps tradition alive.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh good, lucky there's nothing else to talk about.

Exciting to do it in the season for a change though. What will we all talk about in December-January? (don't answer that, I know, with a depressing certainty. I know).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have less issue with reorgs driven by necessity, which i think we currently have. To survive we may need to make some hard choices.  The world has changed, we cant ignore that. 

This isn;t one of the normal case of chasing the silver bullet imho.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

As reported by Johnny Davidson. According to him, The RFL are due to meet today with the clubs to discuss the future of Super League, Championship and League One. Also, no relegation from Super League is allegedly on the cards. 

Groundhog Day. I’m off to buy some ale at lunch to forget today.

Deckchairs. Titanic.

  • Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Ooh Ah Timmy Street said:

Superleague clubs are meeting at 9:30, rest 1:30. Let’s hope common sense prevails ….  🙈

What would be common sense in this instance?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SL will go their own way grabbing what they can at the expense of the whole of Rugby League.

The time has come for "A Second Great Schism." SL is akin to how RU forced RL into existence. The sooner the "rest" see it the better for the whole game from grassroots to the semi-pro game.

The game is now dominated by six teams, surely that can't be right?

Let SL go and combine the championship with League 1 as one division - like it used to be, and it worked!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I have less issue with reorgs driven by necessity, which i think we currently have. To survive we may need to make some hard choices.  The world has changed, we cant ignore that. 

This isn;t one of the normal case of chasing the silver bullet imho.

I don't have a problem with some form of 'tactical' short term decisions given the situation we're in, but I'd like to see it coupled with some longer term road map to build our way out of it.

Hopefully it's a bit more substantial than just looking at structure (as per the thread title, admittedly I haven't seen the report referenced in the OP).

Given what was said about Davy's role when he took that on fingers crossed these meetings are him and the RFL presenting back to the clubs some form of joined-up whole-game plan not just for next season but also how we intend to move the sport into growth as we go into negotiations for the next TV deal.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, LeeF said:

What would be common sense in this instance?

A structure based on what's best for the mediocre eight teams in the middle, no funding for anyone below them, and the Super League to be a 39 game season with 12 team play offs.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do rather think the conversations will be about P&R, funding, number of teams in the pro game and governance structures - which seem perfectly sensible, and possibly negligent to not do so based on the new TV deal and the ongoing pandemic impacts.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I have less issue with reorgs driven by necessity, which i think we currently have. To survive we may need to make some hard choices.  The world has changed, we cant ignore that. 

This isn;t one of the normal case of chasing the silver bullet imho.

What if that was keeping all SL clubs protected from relegation and no promotion from the Championship? Essentially keeping a club there that may lose every single SL game and denying a club that wins every single Championship game.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I have less issue with reorgs driven by necessity, which i think we currently have. To survive we may need to make some hard choices.  The world has changed, we cant ignore that. 

This isn;t one of the normal case of chasing the silver bullet imho.

Totally agree we are presently riding down a road to nowhere or perhaps oblivion, the game is much more than just the 12 clubs at the top of the pyramid there is hell of a lot to reorganise at all levels.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the suggestions(according to John Davidson), is that the bottom four of league 1 will get culled this season .  
 

for arguments sake, let’s say that is Coventry , West Wales , North Wales and London Skolars. That’s a number of player pathways just wiped from the game .  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Totally agree we are presently riding down a road to nowhere or perhaps oblivion, the game is much more than just the 12 clubs at the top of the pyramid there is hell of a lot to reorganise at all levels.

I do also think people competely overstate the structure thing in RL. It is perfectly normal for sports comps to change and adapt, but when we do it it is a huge issue. Like I said elsewhere, the toxicity is rife.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ooh Ah Timmy Street said:

One of the suggestions(according to John Davidson), is that the bottom four of league 1 will get culled this season .  
 

for arguments sake, let’s say that is Coventry , West Wales , North Wales and London Skolars. That’s a number of player pathways just wiped from the game .  

So we save approximately £300,000 there. Right, what’s the plan with that then? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Scubby said:

What if that was keeping all SL clubs protected from relegation and no promotion from the Championship? Essentially keeping a club there that may lose every single SL game and denying a club that wins every single Championship game.

People can make their own minds up about their preferences. 

BUt I suspect some people would celebrate the above scenario if it was Catalans protected vs Leigh/Fev, and hate it if it is Leigh protected vs Toulouse.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Dave T said:

People can make their own minds up about their preferences. 

BUt I suspect some people would celebrate the above scenario if it was Catalans protected vs Leigh/Fev, and hate it if it is Leigh protected vs Toulouse.

There is a logic to protecting Catalans that doesn't extend to protecting a club surrounded by other clubs though.

Not saying it's the right point of view but it's not *necessarily* hypocritical to support some protection and not others.

  • Like 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Scubby said:

What if that was keeping all SL clubs protected from relegation and no promotion from the Championship? Essentially keeping a club there that may lose every single SL game and denying a club that wins every single Championship game.

No P&R then, wait for the Nail, Hammer and Coffin Lid to happen.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • John Drake changed the title to League Restructure Thread (Merged Threads)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...