Salford set to part company with Richard Marshal

The Daddy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dealwithit said:

Can someone tell me very quickly why Salford and Swinton can’t share Moor Lane?

Dealwithit

Swinton are happy to stay at Sale and develop RL from there as it stands.

They have played at Moor Lane and it is said they did not enjoy, albeit that was before the Fergie Fledglings renovations.Clubs do not always play in their town. Manchester United play in Stretford, Patrick Thistle long moved to Maryhill, Sale play in Salford and Swinton play in Sale.

Damien

Can I re-assure categorically that there is absolutely no ill wind between SRD, its officials and Salford City Council.

People may keep on perhaps wishing there is, but it is incorrect and boils those individuals credibility on here.

As for a certain past owner, I can say love has swiftly disappeared like the falling leaves of a blossom tree and now seems to be blowing themselves westward towards the Irish Sea. 

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

They defaulted last November/December. Within 6 months it was an open secret that Sale and Salford City would be buying the ground. Seems pretty soon...

Council and Peel have been wanting to sell the stadium for a number of months even years. If the club had alienated the council as much as claimed would the council have continued to allow reduced rents? would the council be actively assisting in securing moor lane for the club? 

23 minutes ago, To Be Confirmed said:

Council and Peel have been wanting to sell the stadium for a number of months even years. If the club had alienated the council as much as claimed would the council have continued to allow reduced rents? would the council be actively assisting in securing moor lane for the club? 

But they haven't actually sold at any previous time though have they? Not until the debt they were owed was written off, and then talks got very serious. Landlords will often take reduced rents (and the promise of a larger debt), especially when the number of viable alternative tenants zero. That scenario has fundamentally changed now with no larger debt commitment from Salford RL and Salford City being a football league side on the up.

I don't see how anyone can think the debacle won Salford RL any favours - even as tenants of Sale at the ground.

Are the council 'actively assisting' in securing Moor Lane 'for' Salford? Or are Salford City seeing it as a good part exchange option to part-fund their side of the purchase of the AJ Bell? Moor Lane being part of the deal and the council therefore wanting tenants would be a happy coincidence for Salford RL, not a plan by design.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Having watched Brierley for most of his career, I was somewhat aghast this season when it was announced that he was going to occupy the Full Back position, simply because his defence was terrible, whichever club he has played at he would be in the middle of the park when on the offensive but when the opposition are attacking he has been shoved outside out of the way so to speak, so never ever a fullback as long as he has an hole where the sun doesn't shine.

How wrong could I be, at fullback he has been a revelation, his defence has been brilliant pulling of some tackles that were worth the admission money alone, and with his ball in hand skills and pace linking up with the attack is more than enough that any team could have especially if he is outside good half backs. 

I am very sorry to see him leave Leigh, I hope he can do a good job at Salford and give you fans as much pleasure as he has given us Leythers!

Very Richie Myler-esque, both in talents and transformation.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

I find it odd that people can possibly think that things like Salford either not paying rent over many years on and off, and/or not paying the going rate and not paying owed debt to the council aren't linked to the council's recent desire to get rid of the stadium. This is after many years of the council always saying it wasn't for sale. The stadium is obviously a burden to the council and they cant make it pay, which is in no small part because the team that the stadium was built for has consistently failed to pay rent or not paid rent at the market rate.

Surely with Marwan Koukash looking to get back into our game, or so we told, taking over the reins at the Red Devils again would tick the box's for him and the club.

2 hours ago, davet said:

Confirmed as parted company between Marshall & the club.

It seems to be said every year, but i do feel Salford will have a massive fight on their hands to stay in SL at the end of next season.

They must have someone lined up to take over the coaching, but i haven't a clue who.

I fear Salford will fold if ever they loose their Super League status as with a highly unlikely TV contract for the Championship and being in a very serious competition now with Sale union and Salford soccer club they will struggle for fans and sponsors

2 hours ago, Damien said:

I find it odd that people can possibly think that things like Salford either not paying rent over many years on and off, and/or not paying the going rate and not paying owed debt to the council aren't linked to the council's recent desire to get rid of the stadium. This is after many years of the council always saying it wasn't for sale. The stadium is obviously a burden to the council and they cant make it pay, which is in no small part because the team that the stadium was built for has consistently failed to pay rent or not paid rent at the market rate.

The original officials at Salford council,and the originating regime at Salford Red Devils (Salford City Reds/John Wilkinson),have all moved on.

The individual who took on the debt,also moved on.

The individual who took over works in the profession dealing with debt, and conformed with the regulations pertaining to debt.

There should not be any ill-feeling with the current incumbents.I personally think that it is not right,but that is how this country rolls.

I am just relieved,and pleased,that rugby league clubs appear,at this moment in time,to be paying HMRC.

Small steps... 

I reckon another British head coach for Salford.It seems to be the way the sport is heading...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

16 hours ago, Eddie said:

I don’t know, I’m not the one employing people. Danny Ward? James Ford? No idea if they’d be better than Marshall, but they might be. 

I wouldn't be hugely enthusiastic about Ford if I were a Salford fan. With the resources he has had this season at York they've had a very poor season truth be told. And from his point of view, I don't think it's an attractive time to move given the general direction of travel of the two clubs.

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

But they haven't actually sold at any previous time though have they? Not until the debt they were owed was written off, and then talks got very serious. Landlords will often take reduced rents (and the promise of a larger debt), especially when the number of viable alternative tenants zero. That scenario has fundamentally changed now with no larger debt commitment from Salford RL and Salford City being a football league side on the up.

I don't see how anyone can think the debacle won Salford RL any favours - even as tenants of Sale at the ground.

Are the council 'actively assisting' in securing Moor Lane 'for' Salford? Or are Salford City seeing it as a good part exchange option to part-fund their side of the purchase of the AJ Bell? Moor Lane being part of the deal and the council therefore wanting tenants would be a happy coincidence for Salford RL, not a plan by design.

Yes the council are actually assisting, regular meetings are being held and the Council were present and presented a portion of the fans forum as to how they are assisting. 

Commercial property values have fallen heavily due tot eh pandemic and with further council cuts due to government cuts the council and peel have both seen this option as a viable one. All of the council, Sale and Salford FC are all on the same page in that none will make any formal offer for the stadium until such time as salford Red Devils have a secure future. 

Was it Carl Rogers who argued the most important part of a conversation is listening?

To be Continued and Angelic Cynic.

I endorse your posts. 

Evidentially we all know that there is no rift. We know that extraordinary two rugby clubs of differing codes, a soccer club and the Council are working together to ensure all three stay in the same City. 

We know that the Council has long term supporters of the RL club to the point of being accused of bias. That whatever occurs at Moor Lane or elsewhere will seek consultation with the local residents and will be an opportunity to create community facilities, employment and revenue.

An adult conversation might now continue as who should be next in line.

Henderson, Ward, MacDermott, Briers, Rowley, Ford, Wane, Edwards, who knows? What qualities would they bring, who would they add, what would merit success. Are they the men to improve Salford?

17 minutes ago, To Be Confirmed said:

Yes the council are actually assisting, regular meetings are being held and the Council were present and presented a portion of the fans forum as to how they are assisting.

With all due respect they're not going to tell their ratepayers anything else surely?

40 minutes ago, To Be Confirmed said:

All of the council, Sale and Salford FC are all on the same page in that none will make any formal offer for the stadium until such time as salford Red Devils have a secure future. 

Or rather that they are haggling over the "value" of Moor Lane in part exchange.

13 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Was it Carl Rogers who argued the most important part of a conversation is listening?

To be Continued and Angelic Cynic.

I endorse your posts. 

Evidentially we all know that there is no rift. We know that extraordinary two rugby clubs of differing codes, a soccer club and the Council are working together to ensure all three stay in the same City. 

We know that the Council has long term supporters of the RL club to the point of being accused of bias. That whatever occurs at Moor Lane or elsewhere will seek consultation with the local residents and will be an opportunity to create community facilities, employment and revenue.

An adult conversation might now continue as who should be next in line.

Henderson, Ward, MacDermott, Briers, Rowley, Ford, Wane, Edwards, who knows? What qualities would they bring, who would they add, what would merit success. Are they the men to improve Salford?

Its a difficult sell. If Toulouse come up Salford will be favourites to go down, and there isn't the budget (or potential budget) to change that significantly. Very few coaches would see that as a good opportunity. It could be a scenario where both coach and club are in a "beggars can't be choosers" position.

Rowley is an incumbent assistant still? 

Yes hard sell on one hand. Easy sell in that there is so few English senior RL jobs going. 

If I was Marshall, I might be tempted to try and do a year in the NRL if any opportunities arose and if it suited his own life choices at home. He is an excellent coach, maybe not a leading coach as yet. He can learn, he can improve. Which I think he will. 

As for Rowley. This explains his role. 

https://www.salfordreddevils.net/paul-rowley-appointed-in-new-role/

Salford are in a financial mess.

I feel for them and they should never have left the Willows for a soulless White Elephant opposite the Trafford Centre.

They do though have some good people who know their stuff. I for one hope they can come out of this OK. 

They are not the only ones in a mess either.

I can see Marshall going down the East Lancs because he is well thought of and will be well backed. The proposed 3 down next year should it happen will be a step too far for Salford.

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Its a difficult sell. If Toulouse come up Salford will be favourites to go down, and there isn't the budget (or potential budget) to change that significantly. Very few coaches would see that as a good opportunity. It could be a scenario where both coach and club are in a "beggars can't be choosers" position.

Rowley is an incumbent assistant still? 

You base that on your own opinion of course. Being in the know and that Toulouse haven’t yet seen SL yet alone played in it.

Well its already been explained that the club ditched any of the debt left by the pre Koukash ownership and were debt free in 2020.

Also they made a £298,290 profit in 2019 according to Aaron Bower and Companies House. 

But not a mess, just skint in comparison to teams with wealthy benefactors. So be it. If they get relegated, it is a disaster for anyone whilst the 2nd tier is not adequately financed.

Good posts from Tabby and Snowy.

6 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Well its already been explained that the club ditched any of the debt left by the pre Koukash ownership and were debt free in 2020.

Also they made a £298,290 profit in 2019 according to Aaron Bower and Companies House. 

But not a mess, just skint in comparison to teams with wealthy benefactors. So be it. If they get relegated, it is a disaster for anyone whilst the 2nd tier is not adequately financed.

Good posts from Tabby and Snowy.

Do wealthy benefactors make a profit in this sport?

Tabby I guess in one sense no, but I am sure some may be helped by running a loss making business to offset tax. But I am pretty sure the bonus of attaining soft power by being associated with a club, brand and having access to a variety of people is "profitable" in another sense.

For example, during the GAA season in Ireland, the long standing joke is a sizeable amount of business gets done in the corporates of the Cusack stand.

To paraphrase Padge, we need to think about numerous ways to bring money into the game, not just "Uncles" Garys and Marwans. Nines, levies, E sports, community shares, internationals, etc.

As well as reduce costs, central contracting, collective media, sponsorship, merchandise, academies, etc.

Archived