Salford set to part company with Richard Marshal

The Daddy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well a surprize, but not a shock.

If I was to meet Mr Marshall, then I would tell him that I thought he was an excellent coach, but would query if he thought he was best as a deputy rather than a leader, where he has been far more successful at Warrington and St Helens.

And maybe this is where it did not succeed at Salford. There are no ill feelings from me or I suppose fellow Reds. Likewise with Krisnan Inu, Kevin Brown and Tui Lolohea, all leaving, you have to wish them well. 

The Reds would be a good deal to manage. Well run, financially balanced, some quality in the squad, no short of advantages of living and working in Salford/Manchester.

Good on the club to be decisive in making this quick decision. Now we all hope we can have installed a new management/coaching team that can restore Salford's fortunes.

The only surprise for me is that he lasted this long which I think he can thank Leigh for. Just to be straight he is a fantastic bloke and Im sure he is a great assistant coach but in my eyes he does not have what it takes to be a head coach as he just does not have a ruthless streak and will always end up with discipline problems in his squads because of it. Halifax have spent 3 seasons rebuilding because of his loyalty to players who clearly needed to be moved along.

2 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

The only surprise for me is that he lasted this long which I think he can thank Leigh for. Just to be straight he is a fantastic bloke and Im sure he is a great assistant coach but in my eyes he does not have what it takes to be a head coach as he just does not have a ruthless streak and will always end up with discipline problems in his squads because of it. Halifax have spent 3 seasons rebuilding because of his loyalty to players who clearly needed to be moved along.

So who decided to do the signings?

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why, he’s taken them backwards. If Leigh are relegated and Toulouse promoted then Salford are favourites to go down next year without some major changes. 

I don't think that's particularly his fault. Salford's playing budget is appalling.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't think that's particularly his fault. Salford's playing budget is appalling.

It is, but if they’re going to stay up next season they need to make changes, and I don’t think Marshall is the man to do that. He seems sound, but as others have said above he’s no Ian Watson. 

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It is, but if they’re going to stay up next season they need to make changes, and I don’t think Marshall is the man to do that. He seems sound, but as others have said above he’s no Ian Watson. 

He's never going to be a Watson though. In Watson they had a one off, especially for a club with the budget of Salford.

Ultimately, if you spend around 60% of what most of the rest of the league are spending, then that is going to bite you on the backside at some point. I see Tui Lolohea has gone through the exit door and been replaced by Ryan Brierley...

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

He's never going to be a Watson though. In Watson they had a one off, especially for a club with the budget of Salford.

Ultimately, if you spend around 60% of what most of the rest of the league are spending, then that is going to bite you on the backside at some point. I see Tui Lolohea has gone through the exit door and been replaced by Ryan Brierley...

True, so Salford’s options are to stick with Marshall and almost certainly go down, or gamble and get someone else in who could (as a long shot) do what Marshall did and punch well above their weight. I don’t envy them, or whoever they appoint, it’s a poor state of affairs. 

8 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Erm, Brierley will be a utility squad player replacing the likes of Patten. Its Brodie Croft who replaces Tui.

New improved contract offered for Ken Sio and one tempted for Ratchford, if he doesn't want to be on the bench at Warrington.

Ratch just announced a testimonial,  so he ain't leaving 

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

True, so Salford’s options are to stick with Marshall and almost certainly go down, or gamble and get someone else in who could (as a long shot) do what Marshall did and punch well above their weight. I don’t envy them, or whoever they appoint, it’s a poor state of affairs. 

Who would they get for the money they pay?

31 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I don’t know, I’m not the one employing people. Danny Ward? James Ford? No idea if they’d be better than Marshall, but they might be. 

I believe both of those turned them down before Marshall, but the young british option is a good path for them to take.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Watson took time to get Salford where they were so it would be harsh to get rid if Marshall so quickly. Watson can’t be that great he’s now got a full budget at Hudds and they’ve done nothing this year.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

12 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

The Reds would be a good deal to manage. Well run, financially balanced, some quality in the squad, no short of advantages of living and working in Salford/Manchester.

There is rose tinted then there is this.

Salford have all sorts of problems and they are certainly not well run or managed. They didn't comply with the CVA that they agreed and failed to pay £3.5 million that was owed to creditors, money primarily owed to the council that has lost them a lot of goodwill with the council and taxpayer. Yes people twisted this as great business but defaulting on debt and alienating creditors and backers of the club is never a good thing.

They have time and time again not been able to afford rent at the AJ Bell and now are in the ludicrous position of being turfed out of the stadium that was built for them for 2 other clubs to buy it. No one can even say where Salford will be playing in 3 years and if it will be in a SL standard stadium.

The squad is poor and is 2nd bottom. Watson performed miracles in his time there. Any coach will have his work cut out to keep Salford in SL. 

Players can play for Leigh, Wigan and Warrington and have all the same living advantages that you cite with Salford. 

I like Salford and want them to do well but the future isn't too rosy as things stand.

19 minutes ago, Damien said:

There is rose tinted then there is this.

Salford have all sorts of problems and they are certainly not well run or managed. They didn't comply with the CVA that they agreed and failed to pay £3.5 million that was owed to creditors, money primarily owed to the council that has lost them a lot of goodwill with the council and taxpayer. Yes people twisted this as great business but defaulting on debt and alienating creditors and backers of the club is never a good thing.

They have time and time again not been able to afford rent at the AJ Bell and now are in the ludicrous position of being turfed out of the stadium that was built for them for 2 other clubs to buy it. No one can even say where Salford will be playing in 3 years and if it will be in a SL standard stadium.

The squad is poor and is 2nd bottom. Watson performed miracles in his time there. Any coach will have his work cut out to keep Salford in SL. 

Players can play for Leigh, Wigan and Warrington and have all the same living advantages that you cite with Salford. 

I like Salford and want them to do well but the future isn't too rosy as things stand.

Quite a bit of nonsense in that post to be honest. 

Firstly the CVA (Which was debt from a regime twice previous) has been being paid ever since the current regime took over, likely they decided to call in the CVA in a season where there was no relegation and effectively wipe off 3.5m of debt off the club and have more money to spend elsewhere. you say they have lost goodwilll with the council yet the council are well on board with the Salford club, attended the fans forum where again they reaffirmed their commitment to help the club and looking at securing Moor Lane where the club will be part owners instead of tenants. its safe to say therefore that the club hasn't alienated the council.

they haven't been able to afford the rent owing to the ludicrous position that the then owners put the club in and using an average attendance of 8,500 when agreeing to rental values.... again if the club had alienated the council as much as you claim then surely the club would have been booted out of the stadium sooner.   

i would say that once the club move to Moor Lane they will be far better off commercially than they currently are.. 

1 hour ago, To Be Confirmed said:

if the club had alienated the council as much as you claim then surely the club would have been booted out of the stadium sooner. 

They defaulted last November/December. Within 6 months it was an open secret that Sale and Salford City would be buying the ground. Seems pretty soon...

13 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Erm, Brierley will be a utility squad player replacing the likes of Patten. Its Brodie Croft who replaces Tui.

New improved contract offered for Ken Sio and one tempted for Ratchford, if he doesn't want to be on the bench at Warrington.

Having watched Brierley for most of his career, I was somewhat aghast this season when it was announced that he was going to occupy the Full Back position, simply because his defence was terrible, whichever club he has played at he would be in the middle of the park when on the offensive but when the opposition are attacking he has been shoved outside out of the way so to speak, so never ever a fullback as long as he has an hole where the sun doesn't shine.

How wrong could I be, at fullback he has been a revelation, his defence has been brilliant pulling of some tackles that were worth the admission money alone, and with his ball in hand skills and pace linking up with the attack is more than enough that any team could have especially if he is outside good half backs. 

I am very sorry to see him leave Leigh, I hope he can do a good job at Salford and give you fans as much pleasure as he has given us Leythers!

42 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

They defaulted last November/December. Within 6 months it was an open secret that Sale and Salford City would be buying the ground. Seems pretty soon...

I find it odd that people can possibly think that things like Salford either not paying rent over many years on and off, and/or not paying the going rate and not paying owed debt to the council aren't linked to the council's recent desire to get rid of the stadium. This is after many years of the council always saying it wasn't for sale. The stadium is obviously a burden to the council and they cant make it pay, which is in no small part because the team that the stadium was built for has consistently failed to pay rent or not paid rent at the market rate.

Archived