Jump to content

Premier Sports TV Deal


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Visually, the budget will also be used to enhance the matchday experience. Flame cannons and fireworks are among the features that should be expected at games in an attempt to improve the product to audiences.

🙄

So a normal Monday night in Bradford then?

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

So a normal Monday night in Bradford then?

I'm hoping the home team are allowed to use the flame cannons on any opposition winger flying down the touchline, that should improve the matchday experience......and make them run a bit quicker

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I'm hoping the home team are allowed to use the flame canons on any opposition winger flying down the touchline, that should improve the matchday experience......

I bet Shaun Ainscough wished they had that time!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Visually, the budget will also be used to enhance the matchday experience. Flame cannons and fireworks are among the features that should be expected at games in an attempt to improve the product to audiences.

🙄

Might get people turning up thinking the drugs have arrived.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Still appears to be a deal for the sake of having a deal, to say we've got a deal.

Indeed , will it financially benefit the clubs ? , Not really 

Will it enhance and improve the visibility of the competition ? , Not really 

Will it result in a huge detrimental affect on attendances overall ? , Not really 

Will it inconvenience loyal fans who currently attend most home and away games ? , Not really  , unless your club ends up playing 5 times away on a Monday night at clubs too far away to realistically attend 🙄

So essentially " we've got a deal " , said in a squeaky ' love island ' type voice 🙁

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't forget, the budget will also be used to enhance the matchday experience. Flame cannons and fireworks are among the features that should be expected at games in an attempt to improve the product to audiences.🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Will you renew your season ticket? I won't.

Why? Because a couple of home games will be on a Monday night? What a snowflake attitude. Super League clubs have Thursday night TV games, i don’t see how Monday is any different to a Thursday game. Is it the most ideal day and time? No, but we can’t have our cake and eat it, if we want tv coverage and the money that comes along with it, which we need, we have to compromise, even premier league football has mid week games on tv. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, POR said:

Don't forget, the budget will also be used to enhance the matchday experience. Flame cannons and fireworks are among the features that should be expected at games in an attempt to improve the product to audiences.🤣

What’s funny about that? Does Championship Rugby League regularly sell out stadiums without putting any effort in to creating an event around the game? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Why? Because a couple of home games will be on a Monday night? What a snowflake attitude. Super League clubs have Thursday night TV games, i don’t see how Monday is any different to a Thursday game. Is it the most ideal day and time? No, but we can’t have our cake and eat it, if we want tv coverage and the money that comes along with it, which we need, we have to compromise, even premier league football has mid week games on tv. 

But there is the thing Kev, I don't want the TV coverage for that amount of money, £6K per club per season it is just not worth it, you say "which we need" who is the "we"?  If it was just 1/100 of what a premier league football club recieves there would be no discussion, why would you even include that stupid suggestion?

Question, are you going to subscribe to Premier for the Championship coverage, are you fish, but don't let that get in the way of you having a moan for something that will not effect you one bit.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

But there is the thing Kev, I don't want the TV coverage for that amount of money, £6K per club per season it is just not worth it, you say "which we need" who is the "we"?  If it was just 1/100 of what a premier league football club recieves there would be no discussion, why would you even include that stupid suggestion?

Question, are you going to subscribe to Premier for the Championship coverage, are you fish, but don't let that get in the way of you having a moan for something that will not effect you one bit.

I think this is very valid. SL was shunted to Thursday, but for tens of millions that is a worthy trade off. 

Incidentally, I wouldn't have continued with Thursday following this cut with Sky. I know ultimately they hold the cards, but when we moved to Thursdays it was against a backdrop of increasing investment, we are now playing on Thursday's for less money. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

What’s funny about that? Does Championship Rugby League regularly sell out stadiums without putting any effort in to creating an event around the game? 

I've always thought you delusional but if you honestly think that a flame cannon and fireworks (great time at 7pm on a summer's evening that no one will be able to see but the noise will upset virtually every pet and their owners within a mile radius of the ground) is going to get them flocking in....

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Why? Because a couple of home games will be on a Monday night? What a snowflake attitude. Super League clubs have Thursday night TV games, i don’t see how Monday is any different to a Thursday game. Is it the most ideal day and time? No, but we can’t have our cake and eat it, if we want tv coverage and the money that comes along with it, which we need, we have to compromise, even premier league football has mid week games on tv. 

Thing that I don`t get is that mondays are traditionally a very strong viewing night. 

 A lot of people who work go out on weekend nights and generally don`t go out on monday night because it is early in the working week, thus it is a prime night for catching people at home watching TV.

As far as getting people to the ground, given that your championship is played through summer doesn`t it get dark quite late. I know that still might be tricky attracting away fans to the game but I thought a twilight game of League, making it welcoming for families, live music, maybe craft beer sections, advertised in the immediate local media, etc. etc. etc. if done right might be attractive for the locals during spring ,summer.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Indeed , will it financially benefit the clubs ? , Not really 

Will it enhance and improve the visibility of the competition ? , Not really 

Will it result in a huge detrimental affect on attendances overall ? , Not really 

Will it inconvenience loyal fans who currently attend most home and away games ? , Not really  , unless your club ends up playing 5 times away on a Monday night at clubs too far away to realistically attend 🙄

So essentially " we've got a deal " , said in a squeaky ' love island ' type voice 🙁

Lots of us will be able to watch full games in (hopefully) decent broadcast standard each week. On the telly 

That's pretty big for me and worthwhile 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think this is very valid. SL was shunted to Thursday, but for tens of millions that is a worthy trade off. 

Incidentally, I wouldn't have continued with Thursday following this cut with Sky. I know ultimately they hold the cards, but when we moved to Thursdays it was against a backdrop of increasing investment, we are now playing on Thursday's for less money. 

The counter to that is that clubs have been playing on Thursdays for long enough now to have been able to work out how to reach those audiences that are looking for something to do on a weeknight, in the same way that the cinema industry turned Wednesday nights form being it's worst-performing day of the week to it's second most-successful. 

There are people out there who are looking for some sort of amusement on weeknights - people without kids to get up for school in the morning, the people who don't see a 10:00pm finish as a 'late night' on a school night, people who'd otherwise be finding something else to do who could be tempted into an RL fix. 

In understand that Thursday nights aren't great for fans that travel, but weeknights are common in sports with much longer travel distances than RL. The sport has had them for long enough now for it to become a much weaker excuse than it once was.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Thing that I don`t get is that mondays are traditionally a very strong viewing night. 

Not really in the UK - whether you're talking entertainment on the TV or sport to attend.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Lots of us will be able to watch full games in (hopefully) decent broadcast standard each week. On the telly 

That's pretty big for me and worthwhile 

 

If you are going to sell your soul the question is how much for? This deal makes the answer nothing or little - against a back drop of reduced income. A few folk are saying they intend to pay the subs - why not hold the deal on ice and ask people to sign up who want to pay for it. A month before confirm demand and what it means in financial terms to clubs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Who on earth is playing a third of their games on Mondays?

I assumed you knew ST holders get entry to home games, sorry for that assumption. Now the small print in the deal seems to say max 5 home games per season (5/13 - 38%) and Premier get the pick - I assume that Batley v Haven wont be first pick, therefore the Fev v Leigh, v Newcastle, v Fax, v York, v Bradford are more likely to be selected, dont you agree?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, sweaty craiq said:

I assumed you knew ST holders get entry to home games, sorry for that assumption. Now the small print in the deal seems to say max 5 home games per season (5/13 - 38%) and Premier get the pick - I assume that Batley v Haven wont be first pick, therefore the Fev v Leigh, v Newcastle, v Fax, v York, v Bradford are more likely to be selected, dont you agree?

If I were looking to sell subscriptions, I'd not be having too many Fev or Leigh home games but I'd be filling my boots with their away games.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Not really in the UK - whether you're talking entertainment on the TV or sport to attend.

Sky have had MNF for years so presumably it gets viewers or they'd ditch it, which highlights the competition championship RL will face. I think pubs in RL heartlands could gain from getting Premier to draw championship RL fans in, outside heartlands it will have no impact. Genuine question; how many pubs have Premier channel,  tbh I've never seen it on in any pub I've been in though tbf that's  not that many.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Sky have had MNF for years so presumably it gets viewers or they'd ditch it

They do but, as we've said, football operates in an entirely different world to the rest of us.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If I were looking to sell subscriptions, I'd not be having too many Fev or Leigh home games but I'd be filling my boots with their away games.

I hope you are correct, I also tried to see the 5 restriction but couldnt find it. The answers given to the questions asked by this site are right from the book of politics, eg How much? It depends on various things, How many of the various things gives how much? The RFL will be working with clubs to ###### off ST holders by offering cheap tickets FFS, you build your brand on full price tickets and the RFL bargain basement mentality ruins all that in a second

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, sweaty craiq said:

I assumed you knew ST holders get entry to home games, sorry for that assumption. Now the small print in the deal seems to say max 5 home games per season (5/13 - 38%) and Premier get the pick - I assume that Batley v Haven wont be first pick, therefore the Fev v Leigh, v Newcastle, v Fax, v York, v Bradford are more likely to be selected, dont you agree?

I've seen various numbers thrown about for minimums/maximums.

But as I can see has already been pointed out, bigger clubs playing away would be the logical choice no?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...