The Random Wonderments Thread

On 05/11/2021 at 20:26, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Similarly prostitution is not actually illegal, it is soliciting which is illegal which is why brothels can legally operate as long as no money is officially exchanged for the establishments services and as long as those services aren't actually advertised in any way. Clients will not actually pay for a sexual service but rather will leave a 'gift' for the lady that he has spent an hour in the company of. 

Does this mean Prince Andrew has done nothing wrong?

Edited by Marauder

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

On 23/11/2021 at 21:34, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Also if you're planning on nicking a trolley I'm sure losing £1 is not gonna bother you. 

Didn't take long for some people to realise for a quid you can get all your shopping home without having to buy 3 or 4 carrier bags and the burden of carrying them.

Edited by Marauder
  • Haha 2

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

6 hours ago, Josef K said:

How long was it before people started visiting the battle grounds of WWI. I’ve always wondered how many people died in the early years when perhaps it wasn’t as safety conscious. People would see a shell and decide to have a closer look ?. 

From the '1914-18 website', sounds like they began during the war and not after it finished - 

World War I battlefield tourism is not a new trend. Practised during the war by soldiers, family members and gawkers alike, eager to be on former (now safe) battlefields and to mourn their dead, WWI battlefield tourism became an important societal and cultural phenomenon from WW1 through the interwar period, which was supported by a burgeoning industry - transport, accommodation, tours etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

21 minutes ago, Exiled Townie said:

From the '1914-18 website', sounds like they began during the war and not after it finished - 

World War I battlefield tourism is not a new trend. Practised during the war by soldiers, family members and gawkers alike, eager to be on former (now safe) battlefields and to mourn their dead, WWI battlefield tourism became an important societal and cultural phenomenon from WW1 through the interwar period, which was supported by a burgeoning industry - transport, accommodation, tours etc.

Very interesting! Another bit of trivia about people trespassing on battlefields, during the Napoleonic Wars dentists would go onto battlefields after the battles were over and pull out the teeth of the dead soldiers and make them into sets of false teeth. Lovely..! 🤢

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, voteronniegibbs said:

Lost cats. There is a never ending stream on local social media, and posters on lamp posts, from folks wanting help to find their lost cat.

Who is more responsible for a family pet cat becoming lost?

A: the irresponsible owner, for opening the door so it can wander off into someone else's garden to have a dump and then not coming back?

B: the cat, for wandering off into someone else's garden to have a dump and then forgetting where it lives?

C The Cat, for scouting the neighbourhood and finding a house where it gets fed better/more. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

50 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

C The Cat, for scouting the neighbourhood and finding a house where it gets fed better/more. 

Well this is essentially it. If a cat is not happy in its environment and can get out of said environment it will do. Some cats are of course just house cats that accidentally get out but most of the time it has ran away cos it wants to get as far away as possible and as you say, if it finds a happier environment, ie a new owner that actually cares for it, it will just stay there instead. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

6 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Very interesting! Another bit of trivia about people trespassing on battlefields, during the Napoleonic Wars dentists would go onto battlefields after the battles were over and pull out the teeth of the dead soldiers and make them into sets of false teeth. Lovely..! 🤢

6 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Yes in one of the Liverpool Uni’s (i think) i visited a place were some of those pulled out teeth were on display. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

Lost cats. There is a never ending stream on local social media, and posters on lamp posts, from folks wanting help to find their lost cat.

Who is more responsible for a family pet cat becoming lost?

A: the irresponsible owner, for opening the door so it can wander off into someone elses garden to have a dump and then not coming back?

B: the cat, for wandering off into someone elses garden to have a dump and then forgetting where it lives?

Dogs have masters , cats have servants.

On 25/01/2022 at 20:38, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I’m glad you mentioned the Napoleonic Wars HG because Paul O’Keefe wrote a book called “The Aftermath” about what happened to all the dead bodies after the battle of Waterloo and the thousands of dead horses. 
I will nip to my local library and see if i can order it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Josef K said:

I’m glad you mentioned the Napoleonic Wars HG because Paul O’Keefe wrote a book called “The Aftermath” about what happened to all the dead bodies after the battle of Waterloo and the thousands of dead horses. 
I will nip to my local library and see if i can order it. 

Just bought a pristine copy of this in the charity shop. Will add it to my 'to read' pile! 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Just bought a pristine copy of this in the charity shop. Will add it to my 'to read' pile! 👍

Excellent let me know how it is please and then i’ll nip to the library. You’re very fortunate too have books like that in your local charity shop. The ones in St Helens all they seem to have is books aplenty about the rugger chap Lawrence Dilagogogogo, David Beckham, Robbie Williams, and zillions on the British Monarchy. St Helens must’ve been a Royalist stronghold in the civil war. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Was there ever a Norsex? I've contemplated this before because there is of course Essex and Sussex, and there has been Middlesex and Wessex in the past. It would stand to reason that there should have been a Norsex you would think. 

Nosex , that's our house 

Oh sorry , you said Nor sex 🙄

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Was there ever a Norsex? I've contemplated this before because there is of course Essex and Sussex, and there has been Middlesex and Wessex in the past. It would stand to reason that there should have been a Norsex you would think. 

North of those regions was Mercia, a large kingdom ruled by the Angles. I'm sure the Saxons would have liked to turn it into Norsex or Nossex, but lacked the manpower to conquer their neighbours.

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Norfolk ? (North folk) Not 'sex' at the end, I'm afraid 😉

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

11 minutes ago, Exiled Townie said:

Norfolk ? (North folk) Not 'sex' at the end, I'm afraid 😉

Angles, not Saxons - hence East Anglia.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

28 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

North of those regions was Mercia, a large kingdom ruled by the Angles. I'm sure the Saxons would have liked to turn it into Norsex or Nossex, but lacked the manpower to conquer their neighbours.

Ah, that's explains it a bit I think, I didn't realise the regions I mentioned were distinctly Saxon as opposed to the Angles you mention as well. While I do find it very interesting, Dark Age history is not my area of expertise. 

Edit. Just add to that, while we don't have masses of records or evidence from this period, would it be reasonable to presume that the Saxons may have referred to Mercia or at least the general areas north of Middlesex which they hadn't permanently expanded into as Norsex or Nossex. I am assuming that the 'sex' suffix means land and so these names are merely 'Western Land', 'Eastern Land' and so on and so on and so it could just be a phrase used in reference to Mercia. 

So essentially, what I'm suggesting is its a phrase which may have existed and was just never massively recorded or documented due to it not being an established Saxon kingdom and as such has simply disappeared. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

3 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I am assuming that the 'sex' suffix means land and so these names are merely 'Western Land', 'Eastern Land' and so on and so on and so it could just be a phrase used in reference to Mercia. 

Essex comes from "Eastseaxe", meaning East Saxons. Wessex and Sussex follow the same pattern. So they probably wouldn't have used a name with that ending for a kingdom of Angles, although they weren't all that different in origin as invaders from what is now South Denmark/North Germany/Schleswig-Holstein.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, bowes said:

There was a Middle Anglia at one point, but it later became part of Mercia.

Yes, it's the white one with the bonnet up. :kolobok_wink:

Ford-Anglias.jpg

• Haha 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

My wonderment is thinking of the mundane around the world.

I could ramble on but I think this question best describes my interest:

Think of the people all over the world who have the same job as you.

For example, the florists of Belgrade, Serbia. Or the preschools of Santiago, Chile.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

My wonderment is thinking of the mundane around the world.

I could ramble on but I think this question best describes my interest:

Think of the people all over the world who have the same job as you.

For example, the florists of Belgrade, Serbia. Or the preschools of Santiago, Chile.

It's a good wonderment that one, I've thought about this kind of thing before; as you're going to bed the people on the other side of the world just getting up to go do the same thing as yourself, the unspoken, faceless masses that keep the world moving. I've just got up while the sanitary workers of the Far East are just finishing for the day. Really makes you curious to find out more about these people doesn't it and how closely their life possibly compares to your own.