The Random Wonderments Thread

On 24/10/2021 at 23:54, voteronniegibbs said:

Rolls Royce provided the AVRO Shackletons with their Griffon engines. Shackletons were described as 10,000 loose rivets flying in close formation.

We did the airbus factory tour on a trip to Toulouse a few years back, looking at the A380. Lots of explanations about how clever all the technology was, how the wings were specially shaped, carbon fibre this and that. The different parts of the planes come from different parts of Europe - this bit comes from Preston, this bit from Spain, this bit from Germany and so on. Anyway, end of the tour, the man said - yeah, as long as each piece is within a few cm of spec, the pieces all pretty much fit together and we just put tens of thousands of rivets in everywhere to hold it together.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

No matter how one handed (or footed) you are why are your arms (or legs) still the same size. 

Feet tend to be slightly different sizes. When you're buying shoes, make sure they fit your larger foot (usually the left).

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 27/10/2021 at 20:34, Futtocks said:

Feet tend to be slightly different sizes. When you're buying shoes, make sure they fit your larger foot (usually the left).

My right foot is bigger than my left. It is annoying having different sized feet 

Why do fridges never hum a tune you know?

Edited by Padge

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Peacocks can fly, but not very well. The males have the extra burden of their tails and make one hell of a racket just trying to get off the ground.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

That's not proof. It could have used a ladder. 😀

have seen loads of cats in pictures like that - they can't fly! the fire brigade usually come to rescue them

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 25/10/2021 at 09:07, DavidM said:

Yeh , be an old bloke in a cap dawdling along in the plane infront 

Towing a plane-avan.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

29 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

What's all the banging outside tonight? 

You live in Hull's newest dogging site?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

You live in Hull's newest dogging site?

If I lived at a dogging site the banging would be inside, ie inside people's cars and I would currently be stood outside said cars messing around on my phone talking to you. Can't say this is the most exhilarating of dogging sites...

Interesting fact, dogging is not actually illegal, people who get arrested for it are arrested for indecent exposure and public order offences and these charges can only be brought if someone is offended by the activities they have seen. Hence why these things go on at night in secluded spots, so the only people that are there are people actually interested in watching a couple of fat East Hull scumbags with marriage issues shagging. Similarly prostitution is not actually illegal, it is soliciting which is illegal which is why brothels can legally operate as long as no money is officially exchanged for the establishments services and as long as those services aren't actually advertised in any way. Clients will not actually pay for a sexual service but rather will leave a 'gift' for the lady that he has spent an hour in the company of. 

...not that I know anything about dogging you understand and have never been to that dogging site down on Hessle foreshore underneath the Humber Bridge... :kolobok_ph34r:

2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I wonder why some people use these terms:  "PIN number" and "PAT testing" 

Ralph Waldo Emerson