The Random Wonderments Thread

39 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Do other countries have the huge volume of antiques based programmes we have on tv or is this just a really British thing? 

Looks like the Antiques Roadshow has several foreign versions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiques_Roadshow#International_versions 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Looks like the Antiques Roadshow has several foreign versions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiques_Roadshow#International_versions 

I knew about foreign versions of that but I'd put an episode of flog it on just to kill some time earlier and it got me thinking of all the others and that sort of subcategory of restoration and upcycling programmes as well. There seems to be dozens of these shows and I really do wonder whether other countries are quite as obsessed with this genre of programme as we are, I mean in Britain we even have celebrity antiques experts which seems like an incredibly British thing to me. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, voteronniegibbs said:

Why do supermarkets make me put a quid in the trolley to stop me stealing it?

Has anyone actually managed to fit a shopping trolley on the back seat of their car?

Also if you're planning on nicking a trolley I'm sure losing £1 is not gonna bother you. 

• 1 month later...

I wonder where the tap water round here comes from? A far as i know the other side of the Pennines comes from the Lake District, I remember this cos when there was that heatwave the other year and the reservoirs were drying out they were saying there was a risk of Manchester not having enough water. Knowing Hull City Council it probably comes straight out of the Humber. I was just wondering cos I drink litres of the stuff everyday. 

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I wonder where the tap water round here comes from? A far as i know the other side of the Pennines comes from the Lake District, I remember this cos when there was that heatwave the other year and the reservoirs were drying out they were saying there was a risk of Manchester not having enough water. Knowing Hull City Council it probably comes straight out of the Humber. I was just wondering cos I drink litres of the stuff everyday. 

That's an easy one. Tophill Low reservoir.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Manchester & Liverpool get water from North Wales too. United Utilities has a regionally integrated system, so water for their customers can be drawn from the pennines, wales, lake district, local reservoirs etc.

We don't have a national grid for water as such, but there is a fair bit of regional distribution that goes on, even in the drier bits of the country. Near me, for example, water gets taken out of the river Ouse in Norfolk, goes into an underground pipeline that comes out in the River Kennet near Newmarket, and then there's another pipeline that takes it another few miles into the river Stour. So water moves from the east anglian fens (not that much rain, but not many people) into the Essex rivers (Essex is also relatively dry, but has a lot more people).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Farmduck said:

That's an easy one. Tophill Low reservoir.

Correct! At least that's one of the reservoirs that supply the city, its not a big place so it won't solely supply the city I wouldn't have thought. I always forget that place is a reservoir cos its a nature reserve as well and I always think of it more as that. 

3 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Correct! At least that's one of the reservoirs that supply the city, its not a big place so it won't solely supply the city I wouldn't have thought. I always forget that place is a reservoir cos its a nature reserve as well and I always think of it more as that. 

West side of city , wolds area , underground aquifers supply water to Hull and surrounding area  .

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Why does the picture of the chicken on the side of a box of fried chicken always look really happy that you're eating his relatives?? 

Because they're from his wife's side of the family.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/11/2021 at 21:19, voteronniegibbs said:

Why do supermarkets make me put a quid in the trolley to stop me stealing it?

Has anyone actually managed to fit a shopping trolley on the back seat of their car?

I saw someone try to take one on a bus once. Not just any bus but one that was already dangerously overcrowded. Suffice to say the driver made him leave it behind. 

3 hours ago, RoyBoy295 said:

You have fingertips, but not toe tips.

You can tiptoe, but not tip finger.

So, I take it that you are not a ballerina, Roy Boy!