Jump to content

The Cornwall RLFC Thread


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Damien said:

The clubs are right to get the best deal they can. I have been quite consistent in being opposed to significant and unproportionate cuts to League 1. That though should not mean they can veto who may join the professional ranks and the RFL are also right to do what is best for the development of the game in England/UK. In my opinion it would set a dangerous precedent to not allow English clubs into the league due to their location. Hopefully common sense will prevail.

They've already done that: Manchester. Except then it was because they were too CLOSE to existing clubs. Too far, too close, too whatever else they can think of. I'm starting to see a pattern... 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

I don't know where people are getting some of the figures being bandied around from. 

I suspect people are pulling numbers out of the air

There are two or three coach hire 'comparison sites'. I did a quick 'for example' input and found coach companies who would take a part of 30-35 people from Leeds to Penryn and back in June 2022 for around £2000.

Interestingly, the cost was roughly the same as the two trips to Barrow and Workington which the same clubs will NOT have to do in 2022.

We either want Rugby to be national sport or we are happy for it to be grouped around the M62. We need to decide once and for all.

 

Or, alternatively we need to decide whether some clubs aren't capable of operating at certain levels. Which is fine so long as it doesn't hold the game back.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

There was no appetite for RL in Toronto yet more people turned out for single games there than in much of the lower reaches of the Championship and League 1 combined.

And what happened there. Another failed experiment 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DEANO said:

And what happened there. Another failed experiment 

Covid and no government loans. Without the latter we'd only have maybe 6 professional rugby league teams left in this country, and even then they'd be vastly diminished.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Only if they Ed played to the same rules as everyone else

They played to the rules in place.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think some of the frustration from some clubs is not necessarily the travelling involved to Cornwall it's very likely as a result of the cuts to funding and travel allowance made for the upcoming season. I think it's frustration that it came out of the blue. The expense of it which will be pretty significant for some clubs is only one part. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Padge said:

They played to the rules in place.

Yes they did. I thought your argument was why they are success. Put Cornwall in the same position and they’ll be a success 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DEANO said:

Yes they did. I thought your argument was why they are success. Put Cornwall in the same position and they’ll be a success 

Only if they have the backers willing to go for it and ride the initial storm. 

Catalan aren't a success because the rules made them a success, the rules gave them the opportunity to be a success rather than be strangled at birth.

  • Like 6

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Padge said:

Only if they have the backers willing to go for it and ride the initial storm. 

Catalan aren't a success because the rules made them a success, the rules gave them the opportunity to be a success rather than be strangled at birth.

There was no initial storm. They had 3 years grace

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DEANO said:

There was no initial storm. They had 3 years grace

The initial storm is not winning many games, finishing at the bottom and hemorrhaging support on the terraces and financial sponsors. It would be easy for the money men doing the backing to lose their nerve, that is why it is important that the owners don't lose their nerve, the three years helps to give them a pressure release valve that allows them to plan long term.

We need to stop this nonsense of clubs having to be an overnight success to succeed.

This applies to ALL clubs.

  • Like 6

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Padge said:

The initial storm is not winning many games, finishing at the bottom and hemorrhaging support on the terraces and financial sponsors. It would be easy for the money men doing the backing to lose their nerve, that is why it is important that the owners don't lose their nerve, the three years helps to give them a pressure release valve that allows them to plan long term.

We need to stop this nonsense of clubs having to be an overnight success to succeed.

This applies to ALL clubs.

So you agree that all promoted teams should be ringfenced even if your club gets relegated 

  • Thanks 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

As I say, don’t cut the clubs funding by 80% and then be surprised if they’re annoyed an extra expense they didn’t agree to is added to their budgets.

 

Any club wanting to decide who can or cannot play in a semi pro comp should shut up about franchising.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DEANO said:

So you agree that all promoted teams should be ringfenced even if your club gets relegated 

Absolutely, I have said it for years, I have been banging that drum so long my ears hurt.

  • Like 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

I remember when it was let's get rid of Toronto and we should focus on France. Then with Toronto gone the anti Toulouse talk starts and it's that we should concentrate on England. Then when we do its Cornwall is a bit far.

Let’s face it some people think there should only be clubs in Lancashire and Yorkshire, they even moan about Cumbrian clubs as it’s too far to travel. I expect Wigan will be next, that’s over 12 miles from the nearest junction of the M62. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Let’s face it some people think there should only be clubs in Lancashire and Yorkshire, they even moan about Cumbrian clubs as it’s too far to travel. I expect Wigan will be next, that’s over 12 miles from the nearest junction of the M62. 

Even at that we can't have a new club in Manchester because it's too local and might just work!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Let’s face it some people think there should only be clubs in Lancashire and Yorkshire, they even moan about Cumbrian clubs as it’s too far to travel. I expect Wigan will be next, that’s over 12 miles from the nearest junction of the M62. 

I think you are right - Wigan will be next. Mainly because the "moaners" overwhelmingly seem to support Yorkshire clubs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Grand Est said:

I think you are right - Wigan will be next. Mainly because the "moaners" overwhelmingly seem to support Yorkshire clubs. 

The future in Yorkshire is gas lamps.

  • Haha 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Damien said:

I remember when it was let's get rid of Toronto and we should focus on France. Then with Toronto gone the anti Toulouse talk starts and it's that we should concentrate on England. Then when we do its Cornwall is a bit far.

Absolutely. Heard it all before.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely. Heard it all before.

I don't think that's true at all. The point made that travel may not be funded for clubs whose funding has already been cut is a valid one - for Cornwall far more than the other clubs. And then there's the issue of whether the club can survive. Clearly we have insufficient information to make a call on that buy equally clearly, it doesn't help the credibility of the sport for any club to fall flat on it's face. It's a huge risk.

  • Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Griff said:

I don't think that's true at all. The point made that travel may not be funded for clubs whose funding has already been cut is a valid one - for Cornwall far more than the other clubs. And then there's the issue of whether the club can survive. Clearly we have insufficient information to make a call on that buy equally clearly, it doesn't help the credibility of the sport for any club to fall flat on it's face. It's a huge risk.

Clearly they have planned. Now travel becomes others problems. Will the I’m at work so can’t travel come into effect now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...