Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

3rd Test at Headingley might provide a bit of swing for Anderson so i think England might pick him again .England now at 8-5 to win the game ,  might be the time to bet them .Still hope as in the last Test though that we bat first if we win the toss , regardless of the wicket .Need to post a good total and put the pressure on them for a change .

33 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Pope's injured shoulder rules him out of the Headingley Test. Need to get Foakes in to replace him, drop Anderson and let Mark Wood loose on the Aussies.

Sadly they've already said that they won't be calling anybody in as cover for Pope. So will be Lawrence or Ali replacing him. Foolish move imo.

Scotland..!

They play Netherlands on Thursday and i'm not sure whether they need to win or not to qualify. Presume they do.

Ireland have f'd it. The way the associate nations are treated, their performances could have some pretty significant impact back on the isle.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

I see the West Indies have also botched their World Cup qualification.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

42 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Scotland..!

They play Netherlands on Thursday and i'm not sure whether they need to win or not to qualify. Presume they do.

Ireland have f'd it. The way the associate nations are treated, their performances could have some pretty significant impact back on the isle.

A small defeat should be enough but don’t ask me how small

Seems to be a great spirit in the Scotland team.

Mark Watt is a really useful spinner.

Fast bowler Chris Sole is the son of David Sole, former Scotland and British Lions prop. I assume Chris' mother is tall and willowy.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

19 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Scotland..!

I believe Scotland need to win and the Netherlands would need a massive win to qualify as best runner up to Sri Lanka due to their run rate.

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I believe Scotland need to win and the Netherlands would need a massive win to qualify as best runner up to Sri Lanka due to their run rate.

NRR is stupid. Head to head should be absolute.

I'm on a train tomorrow, will try and watch on SKY Go as it'll be a cracker of a game.

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

NRR makes it tricky, but to illustrate the size of loss that Scotland can still go through with, if they bat first and get 250, Netherlands need to win in 44 overs. If Netherlands bat first and score 250, Scotland need to get to 219.

• Like 1

Apparently there is a preamble to laws of cricket describing the "spirt of cricket"

Respect your captain, team-mates, opponents and the authority of the umpires.

Play hard and play fair.

Accept the umpire’s decision.

Create a positive atmosphere by your own conduct, and encourage others to do likewise.

Show self-discipline, even when things go against you.

Congratulate the opposition on their successes, and enjoy those of your own team.

https://www.lords.org/mcc/the-laws-of-cricket/preamble-to-the-laws-spirit-of-cricket

20,000+ at the Oval last night and they saw England Women posting a below par (but still record breaking) 186/9 before Australia got to 183/8 thanks mainly to Ellyse Perry's reargaurd attack.

England really don't have a chance in this series - Australia just don't lose enough - but the crowds, in particular, are encouraging.

Also: a lesson for RL. This will be the highpoint for interest in women's cricket so matches have just been confirmed and promoted for 2024.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Australia 85 for 4. Head and Marsh batting. :kolobok_cool:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The Netherlands grab a wicket in the first over after winning the toss and putting Scotland in to bat.

A big win by them and they could qualify in second place with Sri Lanka for the ICC World Cup in India.

Scotland just need a win as their run rate is fine.

Very good start by the Netherlands though. The NRR potentially throws up some potential odd scenarios. Netherlands might need a run to win the game, hit the ball to an outfielder, but not take the single because it would put them out, whereas a dot ball followed by a boundary would put them through. An Australian team would be bowling a deliberate no ball at that point I guess.

• Haha 1

Netherlands need 60 off 6 overs and are scoring at the rate to get it. Five wickets standing.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

THREE SIXES IN THE OVER

Netherlands need 23 runs and have 18 balls to get them

A century for Marsh from 102 balls. Yes, the bowlers have toiled, but he's been excellent.

Ralph Waldo Emerson