Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

229 for 9 at the end of the innings.

Now let's see if England can remember how to bat.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

229 for 9 at the end of the innings.

Now let's see if England can remember how to bat.

England just lost 4 wickets for 9 runs. So I guess not.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

India on the rack against England’s bowling attack this morning.

40-3 after 12 overs, Kohli already gone for a duck, Woakes instrumental.

No, you are not seeing things. 

12 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

a breakthrough not desperate, but would keep us back on top.

12 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Catch taken and the partnership is broken as Rahul goes for 39

11 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

India collapsing now to 183-7 in the 42nd over.

ali.jpg

Edited by 17 stone giant

Just a tangential note, I don't follow cricket closely but I just checked the Guardian scoreboard for this game. It's a bit confusing when they show the Indian batting card with Loku Marakkalage taking all those wickets but then you look at the Sri Lankan bowling figures and Loku Marakkalage doesn't exist. They gave all his wickets to some guy named Dilshan Madushanka. Doesn't seem very fair.

Saturday and the chance for Australia to end England's involvement in the World cup (technically) and the Champions Trophy. A prospect almost as good for Aussie Cricket fans than waking up next to fellow Aussie Margot Robbie.

No Mitchell Marsh and No Glenn Maxwell whose golfing exploits have ensured that The Big Show is again a no show. This kind of reminds me of Adelaide 2002 when I was regaled with" How easy do we have to make it for you" when we lost an ODI to a sub-par Australian XI.

Any chance Ben Stokes will be dropped. His swipe against India alone should cost him his place, to Harry Brook but England's main problem is the "bits and pieces players" who bat a bit, bowl a bit but not to great effect at either namely Sam Curran and Liam Livingstone to which sadly on the evidence of this tournament you can add Moeen Ali and Chris Woakes. Curran and Livingstone neither of which play much Red Ballk cricket are living proof of the arrested development that happens in a cricketers careerrt whenn you follow the T20 cash rather than woprk on the findamentals of your game. Are either of these better now than when they first started out internationally?

English Cricket will take a deserved financial hit if they do not qualify for the Champions Trophy with less allocated revenue from the ICC falling behind Australia. Anyone care or is this just a chance to rest inbetween Franchise tournaments ?

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

31 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Anyone care or is this just a chance to rest inbetween Franchise tournaments ?

I don't care. I'm done with 1 day cricket now. It had its time, but I've moved on. Thanks for the memories (although to be honest I have very few, because I've never been an avid follower of it).

I think one day cricket is great, but this competition has largely been a massive disappointment, with flogging even when two good sides have come together.

Afghanistan and Netherlands have been two bright spots; they play each other today 

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

5 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I think one day cricket is great, but this competition has largely been a massive disappointment

Nobody learnt the lessons from the last one in England - as England won in a classic final and everyone seemed to forget what a slog the tournament was and how it both didn't really capture anyone's imagination and, more crucially, didn't always sell that many tickets.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I’m still looking forward to the prospect of an India vs South Africa final from a neutral perspective.

I think another problem is we have many people conditioned to enjoy T20 now where exciting finishes are much more common than 50 overs.

Personally even though I can enjoy T20, I believe more can be made of the World Test Championship than it’s current guise/format.

Although maybe the time for that has passed sadly…

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’m still looking forward to the prospect of an India vs South Africa final from a neutral perspective.

I think another problem is we have many people conditioned to enjoy T20 now where exciting finishes are much more common than 50 overs.

Personally even though I can enjoy T20, I believe more can be made of the World Test Championship than it’s current guise/format.

Although maybe the time for that has passed sadly…

It feels like this tournament has had even fewer close finishes than previous 50 over tournaments. Working from home, I've had TMS on the radio most days and, while it passes the time pleasantly, I haven't been gripped by the game being described very often.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It feels like this tournament has had even fewer close finishes than previous 50 over tournaments.

Yes, I’ve had it on in the background at home while working and enjoyed seeing the cricket grounds in India and the vibe of the India matches in particular with the sea of blue merchandise.

I hope it can be resuscitated in the public eye because while T20 is exciting at times, it lacks the pure strategic battle of the longer forms and the chance to see bowler/batter duel that is my love of the sport personally.

I understand though that England’s disheartening showing makes it harder for some to rally around it.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

It feels like this tournament has had even fewer close finishes than previous 50 over tournaments. Working from home, I've had TMS on the radio most days and, while it passes the time pleasantly, I haven't been gripped by the game being described very often.

Literally a couple of games have been worth paying attention to.

There's a lesson for rugby league in there in believing that reducing numbers increases competitiveness of individual games.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

26 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Literally a couple of games have been worth paying attention to.

There's a lesson for rugby league in there in believing that reducing numbers increases competitiveness of individual games.

I'm hoping for a few zingers in the knock-out stages, but even that won't make up for the procession of processions that have made up most of this tournament.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

So out of 34 games played so far, there have only been a handful of good ones?

Not exactly a positive endorsement of 50 over cricket.

Even more so when you consider that some of the remaining 11 group games probably won't have much riding on them.

It's a format designed to engineer the end of 50 over cricket. If RL did a World Cup of a single group of 10 counties all playing each other at a game a day we'd rightly call it completely bonkers.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"