This Week’s Disciplinary

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

So was picked up. 

Ok I hadn’t read the minutes.

Headshots with the forearm ok if you have the ball then?

just read the minutes, no direct contact to the head. Im not sure what clip they watched, if a tackler had done that it would be a ban.

10 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

just read the minutes, no direct contact to the head. Im not sure what clip they watched, if a tackler had done that it would be a ban.

The rules around that are odd. Akauola did it for years at Warrington and would never get banned, however, if defenders did that to those with the ball, they’d be banned. Player protection is very much a big thing at the minute but it’s never really mattered when you’re defending. 

I only saw the Saints v Wire game this weekend, the Matautia ban is consistent with others this season, so far. I’ve seen the “fight” between Dezaria and Ellis but nothing before then but I expect they’ll get 3-4 for punching. 

3 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I only saw the Saints v Wire game this weekend, the Matautia ban is consistent with others this season, so far. I’ve seen the “fight” between Dezaria and Ellis but nothing before then but I expect they’ll get 3-4 for punching. 

4-8 for Grade E

https://www.rugby-league.com/flipbooks/2022-operational-rules-tiers-1-3/index.html#p=334

9 minutes ago, Jughead said:

The rules around that are odd. Akauola did it for years at Warrington and would never get banned, however, if defenders did that to those with the ball, they’d be banned. Player protection is very much a big thing at the minute but it’s never really mattered when you’re defending. 

akaouala never did that at warrington. he may have turned his shoulder slightly, but he never ran in with his arm up like that.

Joe westerman did that several times on saturday as well

4 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

akaouala never did that at warrington. he may have turned his shoulder slightly, but he never ran in with his arm up like that.

Joe westerman did that several times on saturday as well

Okay, of course he didn’t. Except you’ve just said he’d lead with the shoulder, which, as a defender would be a card (even before the rule changes we’ve seen this year), but as an attacker, he’s free to knock people out, leave them missing a game and putting their health in jeopardy as he did to Tyrone McCarthy last year, who has since retired due to…concussion suffered by Akauola in August last year. 

9 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Okay, of course he didn’t. Except you’ve just said he’d lead with the shoulder, which, as a defender would be a card (even before the rule changes we’ve seen this year), but as an attacker, he’s free to knock people out, leave them missing a game and putting their health in jeopardy as he did to Tyrone McCarthy last year, who has since retired due to…concussion suffered by Akauola in August last year. 

he never did what matty lees got away with, is my point

1 minute ago, Barry Badrinath said:

he never did what matty lees got away with, is my point

The point is Akauola got away with leading with arms/shoulders as a ball carrier where defenders doing the same would be penalised and banner. My point of the rules being different for ball carriers, as Akauola and Lees’ incidents highlight, than defenders remains. 

24 minutes ago, Jughead said:

The point is Akauola got away with leading with arms/shoulders as a ball carrier where defenders doing the same would be penalised and banner. My point of the rules being different for ball carriers, as Akauola and Lees’ incidents highlight, than defenders remains. 

Using your shoulder as the ball carrier is not illegal in the slightest. 

Using your forearm as the ball carrier is. 

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

He’s obviously not that sort of player 😂

3 minutes ago, LeeF said:

It’s punches to the head

They usually are,still getting ridiculous.there is a lot more dangerous things in games than a couple of lads having a touch up that don’t carry such over the top punishment.

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Using your shoulder as the ball carrier is not illegal in the slightest. 

Using your forearm as the ball carrier is. 

Using your shoulder in the tackle as a defender is not illegal in the slightest. Using your shoulder to make contact with the head is. 

Using your shoulder in the tackle as a ball carrier is not illegal in the slightest. Using your shoulder to make contact with the defenders head is not illegal either, as per Akauola ending McCarthy’s career  

That’s where there’s a clear break in the rules depending on who you are, something that needs addressing. For what it’s worth, I did expect Lees to be banned for that given where we are these days but I still think rules need changing if we’re so big on player safety as we presently are for those defending. The Warrington player and McCarthy before him are victims of rules that are one sided. 

2 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Using your shoulder in the tackle as a defender is not illegal in the slightest. Using your shoulder to make contact with the head is. 

Using your shoulder in the tackle as a ball carrier is not illegal in the slightest. Using your shoulder to make contact with the defenders head is not illegal either, as per Akauola ending McCarthy’s career  

That’s where there’s a clear break in the rules depending on who you are, something that needs addressing. For what it’s worth, I did expect Lees to be banned for that given where we are these days but I still think rules need changing if we’re so big on player safety as we presently are for those defending. The Warrington player and McCarthy before him are victims of rules that are one sided. 

That's not really true. Lees' incident was described as 'Leads with elbow' which is illegal. 

He faces no charge as the reviewer suggests he didn't hit the tacklers head. 

39 minutes ago, Jughead said:

The difference is, an attacker isn't trying to make contact whilst a defender is. An attacker is just trying to run up the pitch. It's the defender who initiates contact. If you don't want Akauola's shoulder in your face, don't tackle Akauola's shoulder.

Just now, Stotty said:

The difference is, an attacker isn't trying to make contact whilst a defender is. An attacker is just trying to run up the pitch. It's the defender who initiates contact. If you don't want Akauola's shoulder in your face, don't tackle Akauola's shoulder.

I’m sorry but I can’t agree. There’s no excuse for leading with an elbow or shoulder as a ball carrier and it’s incredibly dangerous play. 

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

That's not really true. Lees' incident was described as 'Leads with elbow' which is illegal. 

He faces no charge as the reviewer suggests he didn't hit the tacklers head. 

Id suggest the reviewer needs to take a trip to the opticians then.

Archived