Jump to content

Salvage Hunters..


Recommended Posts

Watching an episode tonight and they've invited a special guest with them in their tour for antiques, Johnny Vegas.

Their first visit takes them to the town of Wigan which, as the narrator explains, "is the home of the World's most successful Rugby League team".

I wonder if Johnny was spitting feathers?

  • Like 2

Sky Sports Jenna Brooks to Jake Connor regarding England selection : "Shaun Wane has said that he's spoken to you about why you were left out, he's also said he's told you what you needed to do more of, I'm interested, what do you need to do more of and did you do it tonight?"

Jake Connor : "I don't know, to be honest I haven't spoken to him."

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Hard to argue against though isnt it?

Those 80s 90s Wigan teams were something.

Compared to the style of game/rules/quality of player and the showers that this Saints team have faced these last few years..there is no comparison.

Even as an FC fan i know  people who don't follow league would mention Wigan and KR before Saints.

Edited by jacksy
  • Like 1

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jacksy said:

Oops

 

 

Edited by jacksy

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jacksy said:

Hard to argue against though isnt it?

Those 80s 90s Wigan teams were something.

Compared to the style of game/rules/quality of player and the showers that this Saints team have faced these last few years..there is no comparison.

Even as an FC fan i know  people who don't follow league would mention Wigan and KR before Saints.

Not sure about KR mate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jacksy said:

Hard to argue against though isnt it?

Those 80s 90s Wigan teams were something.

Compared to the style of game/rules/quality of player and the showers that this Saints team have faced these last few years..there is no comparison.

Even as an FC fan i know  people who don't follow league would mention Wigan and KR before Saints.

Sounds like the world must stop at the M62. Obviously the narrator hasnt heard thatAustralia was ‘discovered’ a few years back.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Sounds like the world must stop at the M62. Obviously the narrator hasnt heard thatAustralia was ‘discovered’ a few years back.

Which Aussie team are more successful than Wigan? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jacksy said:

Hard to argue against though isnt it?

Those 80s 90s Wigan teams were something.

Compared to the style of game/rules/quality of player and the showers that this Saints team have faced these last few years..there is no comparison.

Even as an FC fan i know  people who don't follow league would mention Wigan and KR before Saints.

The Wigan teams of the 80s/90s were a full time team playing against part-timers, they spent money on overseas players and cherry picking the best British players like it was going out of fashion. That policy while getting them lots of trophies ultimately resulted in them almost going bust and selling off Central Park only to end up as arguably second class tennants at the JJB stadium.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, roughyed8 said:

The Wigan teams of the 80s/90s were a full time team playing against part-timers, they spent money on overseas players and cherry picking the best British players like it was going out of fashion. That policy while getting them lots of trophies ultimately resulted in them almost going bust and selling off Central Park only to end up as arguably second class tennants at the JJB stadium.

Bit longwinded for a light hearted non sport TV programme, that.

  • Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Watching an episode tonight and they've invited a special guest with them in their tour for antiques, Johnny Vegas.

Their first visit takes them to the town of Wigan which, as the narrator explains, "is the home of the World's most successful Rugby League team".

I wonder if Johnny was spitting feathers?

More importantly, how much did the experts think an antique like Tommy Leuluai would be worth?

  • Haha 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Bit longwinded for a light hearted non sport TV programme, that.

To say nowt of the possibility of getting the WDL's backs up.

  • Haha 1

Sky Sports Jenna Brooks to Jake Connor regarding England selection : "Shaun Wane has said that he's spoken to you about why you were left out, he's also said he's told you what you needed to do more of, I'm interested, what do you need to do more of and did you do it tonight?"

Jake Connor : "I don't know, to be honest I haven't spoken to him."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

To say nowt of the possibility of getting the WDL's backs up.

I think we were all outraged that Browny was given free range to vent his hate on the BBC.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Not sure about KR mate. 

Sadly, I have to agree with Jacksy here. Although clearly not in terms of success, the name "Hull Kingston Rovers" is a rather unusual one and is synonymous with RL.

I feel rather dirty now...

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Sky Sports Jenna Brooks to Jake Connor regarding England selection : "Shaun Wane has said that he's spoken to you about why you were left out, he's also said he's told you what you needed to do more of, I'm interested, what do you need to do more of and did you do it tonight?"

Jake Connor : "I don't know, to be honest I haven't spoken to him."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Sadly, I have to agree with Jacksy here. Although clearly not in terms of success, the name "Hull Kingston Rovers" is a rather unusual one and is synonymous with RL.

I feel rather dirty now...

 

Maybe in Hull and the heartlands but I don’t think anyone under the age of 50 who isn’t a RL fan would know of them any more than Bradford, Saints or Warrington.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Maybe in Hull and the heartlands but I don’t think anyone under the age of 50 who isn’t a RL fan would know of them any more than Bradford, Saints or Warrington.

Although it pains me to disagree, there was an article somehow related to RL on Radio 1 years ago, nothing to do with any particular team, and the name they plucked out of the air was Hull Kingston Rovers.

I'm still recovering..

  • Haha 3

Sky Sports Jenna Brooks to Jake Connor regarding England selection : "Shaun Wane has said that he's spoken to you about why you were left out, he's also said he's told you what you needed to do more of, I'm interested, what do you need to do more of and did you do it tonight?"

Jake Connor : "I don't know, to be honest I haven't spoken to him."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Wigan have won 22 leagues, 19 CCs and 4 WCCs. 

They dont have a challenge cup down under, and WCC wasnt going when valleys were winning their championships.

They are the most succesful team in wigan though.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

They dont have a challenge cup down under, and WCC wasnt going when valleys were winning their championships.

They are the most succesful team in wigan though.

If you want to count regional comps like BRL why not add in 18 Lancashire League titles for Wigan?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a cachet that some names have.

Whenever I told someone that I knew the names of all the Scottish soccer teams home group they would always test me with Hamilton Academicals?.

Ironically at that time Douglas Park was THE only Scottish football ground I had been to.

Hamilton Access, Accrington Stanley, Hull Kingston Rovers and Harlem Globetrotters may be names that sit in people's memory Banks only because of their names.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Although it pains me to disagree, there was an article somehow related to RL on Radio 1 years ago, nothing to do with any particular team, and the name they plucked out of the air was Hull Kingston Rovers.

I'm still recovering..

Hull KR have come up on quiz shows too.

Edited by jacksy

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Sounds like the world must stop at the M62. Obviously the narrator hasnt heard thatAustralia was ‘discovered’ a few years back.

Can't remember many non RL people ever mention Aussie club sides in my vicinity.

That's not to say its never happened.

Just can't point to any occasion. 

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought a programme might finally have been made about Fev and the stands from Scarboro for a minute. 😉

Please view my photos.

 

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

 

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

 

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Bearman said:

There is a cachet that some names have.

Whenever I told someone that I knew the names of all the Scottish soccer teams home group they would always test me with Hamilton Academicals?.

Ironically at that time Douglas Park was THE only Scottish football ground I had been to.

Hamilton Access, Accrington Stanley, Hull Kingston Rovers and Harlem Globetrotters may be names that sit in people's memory Banks only because of their names.

Third Lanark anyone?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Spidey said:

If you want to count regional comps like BRL why not add in 18 Lancashire League titles for Wigan?

Now you are showing your ignorance of rugby league outside the M62 corridor (and Australian geography)

Elite level RL in Australia was organised in State Competitions during the part time era because of among other things distances. Brisbane to Sydney for example is about 1000kms (what’s that, similar to the distance between Wigan pier and the kremlin).

 

Let’s remember Great Britain regularly got thrashed by Australian teams consisting of players playing in what you call regional leagues (Lewis, Meninga, Miles……)

You are also showing your ignorance of RFL history in UK.

the Lancashire league, and it’s Yorkshire equivalent) we’re not based on separate games. They were tables based on games in the regular rugby league competition played between Lancashire teams ( and for the purposes of completeness, games between Lancashire and Cumberland teams were included in the Lancashire league table). A nice way of increasing the size of an honours board….count the same games twice!

The BRL had separate reserve and junior competition so if you want to include those bring it on.

Also rugby league didn’t start in Australia until 1908, 13 years after the breakaway in the north of England.

The point of all this- if you want to make some subjective assessment of world most successful team it’s helpful to specify the criteria used for most successful (and for that matter, world)

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Bearman said:

There is a cachet that some names have.

Whenever I told someone that I knew the names of all the Scottish soccer teams home group they would always test me with Hamilton Academicals?.

Ironically at that time Douglas Park was THE only Scottish football ground I had been to.

Hamilton Access, Accrington Stanley, Hull Kingston Rovers and Harlem Globetrotters may be names that sit in people's memory Banks only because of their names.

There is no team in any sport called Hamilton Academicals.

You might as well believe that East Fife Four Forfar Five is possible.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...