The French Elite Competition - Next Season and Beyond

Read on the French forums today that the French Federation has managed to bring in significant financial aid for Elite One clubs which will double each clubs budget. Can any of the French Rugby League commentators on here elaborate on what this might be?

Been really impressed with what Luc Lacoste is doing and he seems to have the ambition and business nous to take the game forward over there. One really important thing that the Federation need to take control of is the production of Elite One games, it's great that we're able to watch many Elite games online but I think there's a general issue with the overall production quality of many of the games that are shown, some of the picture quality for games aren't very good, mostly filmed using a single camera and sometimes behind stand posts and obstructions.

Another issue from a fan standpoint is not knowing where to go to tune into games as they are on varying formats some are on a clubs youtube page, others on a clubs facebook page, some on the Federation's youtube page and some games have been on Via Occitanie, this is really confusing and can cause fan apathy. My view is that the coverage needs to improve in terms of production quality and be easy to find on a single platform. 

For the Elite competition to survive and flourish it needs to move closer to professionalism both on and off the field so I hope some of these issues can be resolved in time for next season. 

• Like 5

Elite One plus is a cohesive and historic, albeit with considerable flaws, competition that celebrates its 100th anniversary in a decade mores time.

Essentially it does not need to be more professional nor integrated into the wider European game.

However I for one wish it was.

I hope Lacoste and the Federation have the levity and luck to improve Elite and the clubs.

I'd wish there was a full conversation and plan to integrate the SL, the British and French structure. 

For me ideally, the first matter would be for the two heartlands to beat as one. I feel France feels distant.

More practically would be to boost Elite up to Championship and maybe as a feeder for a true European SL.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Elite One plus is a cohesive and historic, albeit with considerable flaws, competition that celebrates its 100th anniversary in a decade mores time.

Essentially it does not need to be more professional nor integrated into the wider European game.

However I for one wish it was.

I hope Lacoste and the Federation have the levity and luck to improve Elite and the clubs.

I'd wish there was a full conversation and plan to integrate the SL, the British and French structure. 

For me ideally, the first matter would be for the two heartlands to beat as one. I feel France feels distant.

More practically would be to boost Elite up to Championship and maybe as a feeder for a true European SL.

I imagine the French federation see some of the baffling decisions the RFL make and don’t want anything to do with them. 

• Like 3

I'll believe it when i see it! In France the clubs pay 20000 euros to play in elite 1, there's no prize money, the money just goes to the federation to run the comp and keep RL alive in France, the clubs have to then pay their players, pay the transport, pay the production costs for showing the games on YouTube or Facebook, the fines, the players license to play, the fines etc The clubs get nothing from the federation, 

2000 euros to put a under 19s team into the elite u19s comp, 

So it's the clubs that fund the federation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Desperately need some internationals so fed can get some sponsors to pay for themselves then. 

Against who? I agree in principle but who have they got to play? England don’t fancy it and I doubt they’d sell out games against Wales, Scotland or Ireland. 

22nd  May Limoux v Carcassonne at 15h30 

Catalan v Toulouse u19s at 13h30 

The u17s final at 11h30 which will be between four of the following teams, Villeneuve,salon, Toulouse and Carpentras, 

And the u15s at 10 am between either Lézignan,salon, Albi and Catalan, 

All at Narbonne stadium, 

Should be a great day 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I think we`re going to see more and more of this sort of stuff.

Broncos prop Ryan James is chasing a finals swan song as he prepares to retire from the NRL and take an alternative path.

James will hang up his NRL hat at the end of the season and plans to embark on a gap year of sorts before returning to the game.

At age 31, James feels like he has more footy in him and will head to Europe for one last league experience in France at the end of 2023 after he completes a masters of business administration at Bond University next year.

READ NEXT

James plans to play for a second division team in France in 2024 to experience life overseas with his young family.

Rumours that Wade Graham has similar plans. Personally I think this can be nothing but a good thing for the game in France.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I think we`re going to see more and more of this sort of stuff.

Broncos prop Ryan James is chasing a finals swan song as he prepares to retire from the NRL and take an alternative path.

James will hang up his NRL hat at the end of the season and plans to embark on a gap year of sorts before returning to the game.

At age 31, James feels like he has more footy in him and will head to Europe for one last league experience in France at the end of 2023 after he completes a masters of business administration at Bond University next year.

READ NEXT

James plans to play for a second division team in France in 2024 to experience life overseas with his young family.

Rumours that Wade Graham has similar plans. Personally I think this can be nothing but a good thing for the game in France.

I’m surprised he’s targeting a 2nd division team………..he would surely be good enough for Elite 1 even after a season out

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I’m surprised he’s targeting a 2nd division team………..he would surely be good enough for Elite 1 even after a season out

He may just be saying that and will see where he ends up once he starts playing. He probably doesn`t want to over exert himself either when he gets there. and that`s o.k. as I`m assuming he will still be professional enough to perform an appropriate level and have a lot to offer young French up and comers. 

We may start to see this trickle turn into a flood after the French WC. The more League players Oz exports around the world the better as far as I`m concerned, I think it will not only be good for other countries competitions but is a major carrot for young people deciding which sport to go into in this country. I`d love to see more of it at a school-exchange level.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I could think of worse ways to wind down after a career in the NRL. Some good pickups and publicity possible to generate from bringing in players on a one year deal at the tail end of their career. 

I doubt they’d get paid much, if anything by elite 2 clubs mind you, with attendances in the very low hundreds and the rest of the players as amateurs. But that aside, if they can afford it, yes a superb experience. 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I doubt they’d get paid much, if anything by elite 2 clubs mind you, with attendances in the very low hundreds and the rest of the players as amateurs. But that aside, if they can afford it, yes a superb experience. 

They almost certainly won’t be doing it for anything other than pocket money. 

Toulouse Olympique have sruggled too at Elite 1 far,far from the Dragons who are in the play-offs regularly. But now a real effort is being made with the club realising that a reserve out fit is necessary. Half a dozen new comers will be at the old Minimes Stadium in the months ahead.

On 17/08/2022 at 14:12, Charlie said:

Toulouse seem to be putting together a decent elite 1 side with there new players and a few of the u19s 

From Villeneuve two former players in forward Masselot and centre Marguerite – both former internations. Also a fine young lad too in forward Biscarro – much expected from him. From Catalans Dragons utility back Brochin and finally two rugby unuion players from Federal rugby union in Georgian Amirana and Devisne – both forwards

* Add on Benjamin Laguerre , younger brother to Mathieu from the Dragons and I think two young players from U19s  Guidez and Sayah will be involved too.

Edited by audois
  • Like 5

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg