Matt Dufty to Wire

Watch the match winning try from the Knights at the weekend on 3 minutes and 7 seconds.

This one clip just sums him up.  How on earth can a full back not take the ball carrier in this situation and fall for a dummy in such a comical fashion.

Match Highlights: Bulldogs v Knights - NRL

As a full back, the guy isn't even a speed bump, he is like a traffic policeman waving try scorers through.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I have no idea how good he is (or not), but I'd hardly say we are excelling at fullback. 

Ratchford is old and out of contract, Thewlis is decent but I'm mot sure he is the answer at FB. 

Our attacking options from 1 are not really working. 

Edited by Dave T

30 minutes ago, UTK said:

Seen Paul Vaughan has been linked with Wigan, thought that would've been the perfect signing for Wire to throw some cash at instead.

I can't see that happening at all but I could be wrong. Wigan look to be going down a route of signing fringe NRL players, between the ages of 22-25, who are clearly very talented but haven't quite cracked it. It's cheaper and they're hungry to prove a point. Matt Peet has also been very vocal on signing on character and I've seen Vaughan's questioned more than once. 

As for Wire and Dufty, I'm just staggered. He made it clear last year that Superleague is a last resort for him and that should've ruled out any chance of him getting picked up here. Wire need a complete overhaul of policy. I've watched them a lot this year and the rare bright spots have come from guys like Thewlis and Wrench but as ever, it looks like a young player (Thewlis) will be dumped (either to the reserves or shoehorned in on the wing) in favour of throwing money at a new signing. Until the mentality of the powers that be at Wire changes, they're going nowhere. They seem incapable of learning their lesson. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WN83 said:

I can't see that happening at all but I could be wrong. Wigan look to be going down a route of signing fringe NRL players, between the ages of 22-25, who are clearly very talented but haven't quite cracked it. It's cheaper and they're hungry to prove a point. Matt Peet has also been very vocal on signing on character and I've seen Vaughan's questioned more than once. 

As for Wire and Dufty, I'm just staggered. He made it clear last year that Superleague is a last resort for him and that should've ruled out any chance of him getting picked up here. Wire need a complete overhaul of policy. I've watched them a lot this year and the rare bright spots have come from guys like Thewlis and Wrench but as ever, it looks like a young player (Thewlis) will be dumped (either to the reserves or shoehorned in on the wing) in favour of throwing money at a new signing. Until the mentality of the powers that be at Wire changes, they're going nowhere. They seem incapable of learning their lesson. 

We do need to be careful with the young lads. Thewlis is not really the solution imho (I'm not saying Dufty is by the way), but we have seen this at Leeds, a young lad comes in and they think he's a world beater and then they keep losing and these young lads end up average and moved on anyway. 

I hope Thewlis goes on to be a star player for a long time, but development takes time, he isn't necessarily what we need at 1 right now. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We do need to be careful with the young lads. Thewlis is not really the solution imho (I'm not saying Dufty is by the way), but we have seen this at Leeds, a young lad comes in and they think he's a world beater and then they keep losing and these young lads end up average and moved on anyway. 

I hope Thewlis goes on to be a star player for a long time, but development takes time, he isn't necessarily what we need at 1 right now. 

I don’t think fullback is currently the priority for you. Having Thewlis starting and Ratchford available to jump in and out of there when needed is fine IMO. It lets you take Thewlis out of the fire when needed. The issue I have if Dufty comes in is that it’s likely to be on a 3-4 year deal and it could be extended as his NRL career looks to be done. Where does that leave Thewlis? I’d be looking at a new deal for Ratchford for another year or looking to get a cheaper option that Dufty to work alongside Thewlis. 

First jobs first for Wire and that should be sorting the pack and finding a controlling halfback to play alongside Williams. Do that and the job Thewlis has at the back becomes far easier. 

51 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I have no idea how good he is (or not)

He is better than playing with 12 men.  But only just.

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

16 minutes ago, WN83 said:

I don’t think fullback is currently the priority for you. Having Thewlis starting and Ratchford available to jump in and out of there when needed is fine IMO. It lets you take Thewlis out of the fire when needed. The issue I have if Dufty comes in is that it’s likely to be on a 3-4 year deal and it could be extended as his NRL career looks to be done. Where does that leave Thewlis? I’d be looking at a new deal for Ratchford for another year or looking to get a cheaper option that Dufty to work alongside Thewlis. 

First jobs first for Wire and that should be sorting the pack and finding a controlling halfback to play alongside Williams. Do that and the job Thewlis has at the back becomes far easier. 

I think fullback is a real key position, they can make or break a teams attack. I don't think we have seen enough in Thewliss' 20 odd game SL career to say he is the future in that position. Ratchford turns 34 soon. 

So I think FB is a priority, I did have high hopes for Ashton, but I suppose it depends what kind of FB you want. 

If we sign an FB and don't bolster our pack, I'll agree with you, but there are no signs of that happening. 

If Dufty is as bad as everyone says, Thewlis will get plenty of opportunities. 

Edited by Dave T

59 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I have no idea how good he is (or not), but I'd hardly say we are excelling at fullback. 

Ratchford is old and out of contract, Thewlis is decent but I'm mot sure he is the answer at FB. 

Our attacking options from 1 are not really working. 

If he is switched on he will score a stack of tries in SL - very talented. Ratchford needs punting 

15 minutes ago, WN83 said:

Treize Mondial suggest that Dudson and Kasiano are interesting Warrington.  They are two of fifteen players (eight of them French) at Les Dracs out of contract at the end of the season.  (They also speculate that Samisoni Langi could be bound for Hull FC). 

I'll agree with the OP. Even if Ratchford moves on, Thewlis should be the future at full back - he is a really classy player - and Ashton is a really luxury of a deputy.

I don't know this Dufty guy at all but it sounds like a punt at the 'next Field/French'.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Treize Mondial suggest that Dudson and Kasiano are interesting Warrington. 

Two guys who would have been good signings 3 or 4 years ago but who will be 32 by the start of next season. Not exactly thrilling given Catalans could presumably hold on to either if they were that bothered.

Edited by Just Browny
  • Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think fullback is a real key position, they can make or break a teams attack. I don't think we have seen enough in Thewliss' 20 odd game SL career to say he is the future in that position. Ratchford turns 34 soon. 

So I think FB is a priority, I did have high hopes for Ashton, but I suppose it depends what kind of FB you want. 

If we sign an FB and don't bolster our pack, I'll agree with you, but there are no signs of that happening. 

If Dufty is as bad as everyone says, Thewlis will get plenty of opportunities. 

It’s definitely key but I just think you guys have a chance here to draw a line in the sand and to try and change the perception. Dufty does not want to come to superleague, he has to come to superleague and that’s dangerous. You have a quality young fullback in the side and back up from Ratchford and Ashton. There’s a risk when you’re struggling that suddenly every position feels a problem. We had that last year but things can change quickly. 

Sorting the pack and a halfback would be my first priority. If there is room for a fullback then look elsewhere and don’t bring the big money guy in, who has admitted superleague is simply a fallback wage for him. 

Dufty has been very average this season but he’s not the first that’s looked lost in the Bulldogs system . I was disappointed personally that he left the Dragons , he did a good job in a poor side in the main . He is fast , he is a running threat and he is a good link player with a good cut out pass . He’s slight and has defensive frailties but he’s not the only fullback like that . I think in SL he’d be a very good pick up , and could have a similar impact to Field as they’re similar in many ways . In fact Dufty played fullback to Field’s halfback in NYC 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Dufty has been very average this season but he’s not the first that’s looked lost in the Bulldogs system . I was disappointed personally that he left the Dragons , he did a good job in a poor side in the main . He is fast , he is a running threat and he is a good link player with a good cut out pass . He’s slight and has defensive frailties but he’s not the only fullback like that . I think in SL he’d be a very good pick up , and could have a similar impact to Field as they’re similar in many ways . In fact Dufty played fullback to Field’s halfback in NYC 

Agreed. He has speed to burn and a superior NRL record than either Field or French, and look at their impact at Wigan.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

If he is switched on he will score a stack of tries in SL - very talented. Ratchford needs punting 

41 minutes ago, DavidM said:

23 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Agreed. He has speed to burn and a superior NRL record than either Field or French, and look at their impact at Wigan.

I think you guys are being very kind to Dufty.  He has a good running game and can break a tackle but that is the only strong part of his game.

He has one of the lowest try involvements in the NRL from fullback this year while at the same time he has the highest error count.  The only reason he isn't top of the missed tackles as well is because half the time he doesn't even touch a ball carrier because comically falls for every dummy he is sold.

It is not just that he is playing in a bad Bulldogs team, the fact he is playing is one of the main reasons why the Bulldogs are so poor this year as he offers nothing from fullback which is a key positions in the modern game.

If the worst team in the NRL are getting rid of their deadwood to try and see some improvement and he is one of these identified then Wire should be not looking at him to make them better.

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I think you guys are being very kind to Dufty.  He has a good running game and can break a tackle but that is the only strong part of his game.

He has one of the lowest try involvements in the NRL from fullback this year while at the same time he has the highest error count.  The only reason he isn't top of the missed tackles as well is because half the time he doesn't even touch a ball carrier because comically falls for every dummy he is sold.

It is not just that he is playing in a bad Bulldogs team, the fact he is playing is one of the main reasons why the Bulldogs are so poor this year as he offers nothing from fullback which is a key positions in the modern game.

If the worst team in the NRL are getting rid of their deadwood to try and see some improvement and he is one of these identified then Wire should be not looking at him to make them better.

Transposing it to SL why could he not have the impact Field or French has ? Field wasn’t spotted while Dufty was an NRL regular . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yes but in SL if you are quick you find space that doesn't exist in the NRL. Jai Field anyone?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Yes but in SL if you are quick you find space that doesn't exist in the NRL. Jai Field anyone?

Dufty is a bit older but their careers have basically ran in parallel , and are similar styles of player . They were excellent juniors but it was Dufty who won rep honours and Dufty who made it into and cemented an NRL spot . He scored 44 tries in 80 games which isn’t bad for someone so terrible . He has frayed edges and faults , but if Field didn’t he wouldn’t be at Wigan would he ? And he’s found it much to his liking 

12 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Transposing it to SL why could he not have the impact Field or French has ? Field wasn’t spotted while Dufty was an NRL regular . 

12 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I don't think it is a given.

If a player has weaknesses in his game then those weaknesses will still be there even if the competition isn't as high a standard.

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I don't think it is a given.

If a player has weaknesses in his game then those weaknesses will still be there even if the competition isn't as high a standard.

I respect your view as always . Personally I’d find it very interesting to see them both play here to compare how they go