Jump to content

I'm not sure about this Rohan


Recommended Posts


 

I think this montage sums up Leeds this season. Our defence hasn't been that bad all things considered, but our attack has been pretty woeful. And when your attack is as bad as ours you absolutely have to take golden chances that are presented to you like some of the above are.

The camp is unlikely to be very happy given the results this year. I suspect many are being moved on at the end of the year too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would say his big problem is there being no friction, that group of players need to be hammered by the new coach and get some effort out of them. Being nicey nicey will not work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

 

I think this montage sums up Leeds this season. Our defence hasn't been that bad all things considered, but our attack has been pretty woeful. And when your attack is as bad as ours you absolutely have to take golden chances that are presented to you like some of the above are.

The camp is unlikely to be very happy given the results this year. I suspect many are being moved on at the end of the year too.

To move player's on if they are in contract will cost a lot of money and subtract from what the club can spend on the new player's on the SC as the contract settlement counts on the cap as spend on player's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

To move player's on if they are in contract will cost a lot of money and subtract from what the club can spend on the new player's on the SC as the contract settlement counts on the cap as spend on player's.

Apologies I wasn't clear, there's a fair number out of contract at the end of the year.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

 

I think this montage sums up Leeds this season. Our defence hasn't been that bad all things considered, but our attack has been pretty woeful. And when your attack is as bad as ours you absolutely have to take golden chances that are presented to you like some of the above are.

The camp is unlikely to be very happy given the results this year. I suspect many are being moved on at the end of the year too.

That's been my take on the games I've seen with Leeds as well. 

I don't look at that team and see one that's got a particular issue with work ethic, effort or their defence, but one that has a real lack of attacking cohesion and execution. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, whatmichaelsays said:

That's been my take on the games I've seen with Leeds as well. 

I don't look at that team and see one that's got a particular issue with work ethic, effort or their defence, but one that has a real lack of attacking cohesion and execution. 

Just goes to show how astute Ricky Stuart was in moving Sezer and Austin on from Canberra - when they were in their prime!

Was it Agar who was responsible for them going to Leeds or was it someone who is still a high ranking officer at the club, or someone now departed and employed in t'other code? I honestly don't know the answer but whoever made the decision to take them to Leeds is the one responsible for Leeds poor form this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Just goes to show how astute Ricky Stuart was in moving Sezer and Austin on from Canberra - when they were in their prime!

Was it Agar who was responsible for them going to Leeds or was it someone who is still a high ranking officer at the club, or someone now departed and employed in t'other code? I honestly don't know the answer but whoever made the decision to take them to Leeds is the one responsible for Leeds poor form this season.

Tbf, Sezer and Austin have barely played together and we looked so much better going forward at the start of the year with Myler at FB. Hopefully that will return with him.

Moreover, having Newman and Fusitua was a real bonus. We had it for 1 half against Wakefield and it was a walkover.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just goes to show how astute Ricky Stuart was in moving Sezer and Austin on from Canberra - when they were in their prime!

Was it Agar who was responsible for them going to Leeds or was it someone who is still a high ranking officer at the club, or someone now departed and employed in t'other code? I honestly don't know the answer but whoever made the decision to take them to Leeds is the one responsible for Leeds poor form this season.

Most likely a combination of Sinfield and Hetherington with Agar agreeing. There's not much reason to doubt any of their abilities to judge a player, particularly Hetherington's.

To be fair to Sezer he hasn't played much anyway to form a clear opinion. In any event I think what makes good players not perform well is much more complex than you are suggesting.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe with a bit more friction they would drop the ball a bit less.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, M j M said:

Most likely a combination of Sinfield and Hetherington with Agar agreeing. There's not much reason to doubt any of their abilities to judge a player, particularly Hetherington's.

To be fair to Sezer he hasn't played much anyway to form a clear opinion. In any event I think what makes good players not perform well is much more complex than you are suggesting.

All I suggested MjM is that Ricky Stuart must have seen a good reason to let them go from Canberra.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, whatmichaelsays said:

That's been my take on the games I've seen with Leeds as well. 

I don't look at that team and see one that's got a particular issue with work ethic, effort or their defence, but one that has a real lack of attacking cohesion and execution. 

Yeah exactly I've never watched them this year and been disappointed with the effort, just frustrated with the lack of cutting edge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think quite often it is lazy analysis to just equate under-performing to unhappiness in the camp. That is just one element of what can go wrong. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

All I suggested MjM is that Ricky Stuart must have seen a good reason to let them go from Canberra.

To some extent I agree, Sezer was never going to take Canberra to the next level (hence bringing in Williams) and Austin was too inconsistent. However, it could be argued that Stuart's decisions more recently have been disastrous. Since Bateman and Williams have gone, the Raiders have disintegrated.

You have to question Stuart's judgement if he thinks Fawley is going to take them forward..............he was woeful at the Giants and is far worse than Sezer

Edited by DoubleD
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

To some extent I agree, Sezer was never going to take Canberra to the next level (hence bringing in Williams) and Austin was too inconsistent. However, it could be argued that Stuart's decisions more recently have been disastrous. Since Bateman and Williams have gone, the Raiders have disintegrated.

You have to question Stuart's judgement if he thinks Fawley is going to take them forward..............he was woeful at the Giants and is far worse than Sezer

Fairy Muff, so Stuart has himself gone backwards. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:
 

I think this montage sums up Leeds this season. Our defence hasn't been that bad all things considered, but our attack has been pretty woeful. And when your attack is as bad as ours you absolutely have to take golden chances that are presented to you like some of the above are.

The camp is unlikely to be very happy given the results this year. I suspect many are being moved on at the end of the year too.

I agree in general that the attack is shall we say blunt... not helped by lack of speed or ability to break the line in anyone's legs with exception of Handley with regards speed and Sutcliffe whom is the only Leeds player able to regularly break a tackle and line - although no one tends to be on his shoulder...

I can't agree with the defence not being bad. Yep the Line defence is OK but teams make it too easier to Leeds last 20/40.   Too often not forcing teams to kick from deep and subsequently giving a good starting attacking position.

At Salford the edge (sorry to use that term but it seems to be the term nowadays together with middles).   Anyway the edge was too easily broken. Salford had a field day against Handley and Broadbent pairing and was clearly targeted.  I assume due to newness of playing together but their was a clear problem that led to making breaks and putting rest of defence under pressure leading to try's.

Edited by redjonn
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I agree in general that the attack is shall we say blunt... not helped by lack of speed or ability to break the line in anyone's legs with exception of Handley with regards speed and Sutcliffe whom is the only Leeds player able to regularly break a tackle and line - although no one tends to be on his shoulder...

I can't agree with the defence not being bad. Yep the Line defence is OK but teams make it too easier to Leeds last 20/40.   Too often not forcing teams to kick from deep and subsequently giving a good starting attacking position.

At Salford the edge (sorry to use that term but it seems to be the term nowadays together with middles).   Anyway the edge was too easily broken. Salford had a field day against Handley and Broadbent pairing and was clearly targeted.  I assume due to newness of playing together but their was a clear problem that led to making breaks and putting rest of defence under pressure leading to try's.

2 biggest aspects that Rohan Smith has to focus on are:

1: Line speed - our defensive line speed is poor/inconsistent compared with top teams

2: Support play - far too often we have 1-up plays which are easy to defend against. When we do pass the ball, we don't engage with the line often enough, and when we make the rare break, there is noone in support

Mike Meehall Wood did a great article on the importance of support play in NRL, and how it is often a key (and overlooked) determinant between the top and bottom teams in the ladder. I'll try and dig it out

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

This would be one of the first articles I'd show those simpletons who keep harping on about rugby league being a simple game where you just need to run and tackle hard. This deception is key and I bet Leeds Rhinos are at the bottom of the chart for this in SL

Edited by DoubleD
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

 

What would you give for discussions like this with video evidence during games? It's the kind of stuff that would absolutely be focused on in US sport. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

This would be one of the first articles I'd show those simpletons who keep harping on about rugby league being a simple game where you just need to run and tackle hard. This deception is key and I bet Leeds Rhinos are at the bottom of the chart for this in SL

Article is a huge oversimplification which maybe tells a story in itself, I was surprised he hadn't heard of push. I actually found this table (from his twitter replies) much more illuminating:

 

Even that is limited in scope. If you have push support on every play, but you never give a pass, push supports cease to be useful. If you run triple block plays but consistently never hit any of the short options, have you really had a play with 3 decoy runners? If you have loads of shape in good ball but in yardage you consistently use one-out carries between the scrum lines, does that average out to being alright? There's no real gauge of quality.

Roosters are a good example to watch in terms of quality push, lots of changes of angles and accelerating through the line. Some of the less effective teams will push plenty, but they're running in straight lines and stopping just short of contact. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

All I suggested MjM is that Ricky Stuart must have seen a good reason to let them go from Canberra.

Surely the same can be said of any import

im not sure judging Sezers leeds career on a few games when he’s been injured is fair.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think quite often it is lazy analysis to just equate under-performing to unhappiness in the camp. That is just one element of what can go wrong. 

We’ve also had half or more of the team out for most of the season.

we are severely lacking in the prop department and until that gets sorted we won’t be doing much.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...