Tottenham Hotspur Pitch

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't know if anyone watched the sporting drama of the Premier League. Pure world class sport. 

Nobody was talking about whether the pitches were 105m or 109 yards. 

I was trying to watch it but I couldn't keep my eyes off this thread!

• Haha 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I know perfectly well that the FIFA maximum length of a soccer field is 105 metres.  However @Dave T's picture from the RU match doesn't show any soccer markings, so how do you know that the dead ball lines were in exactly the same place as the soccer goal lines?

I have to give you full credit because its quite obvious on the video you posted on page 1. It is also quite obvious that the lines are in the same place on the RL photo too:

image.png.e2b7dfcf86e69bbf297464dc53d38e20.png

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Yes I do, but the ratio of the distance in the still image in the highlight video at the kickoff from the goal line to the kickoff line divided by the distance from the goal line to the 22 metre was exactly the same as 50 divided by 22, which means that distance from the goal line to the kickoff line was 50 metres.  That means the field was 100 metres long, not less.

The goal line can't be in the same place, if it was then my measurement and calculations wouldn't have given the same ratio as 50 divided by 22 and they did.

Or, and I think its truly the most likely explanation, your calculations are off.

As has been mentioned, without a fixed parameter at some point you cannot work anything out with ratios. 

1 minute ago, RP London said:

Or, and I think its truly the most likely explanation, your calculations are off.

As has been mentioned, without a fixed parameter at some point you cannot work anything out with ratios. 

It also can't be done using a photo with the angles. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RP London said:

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It also can't be done using a photo with the angles. 

But apart from that?

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Yes they can, because the stadium has enough length between the seats at each end to fit an NFL field into it and that's a lot longer than 105 metres.  It's 117 metres between the broken yellow lines which are marked behind their end lines.

So the stadium can accommodate RL requirements, either they weren't interested in doing so or the incompetents at the RFL with their small time, cap-doffing pour cousin, make-do-because-that's-all-they-know ways of doing things didn't bother to raise the matter with them.

Oh please!  Your mention of Subbuteo is nothing short of ridiculous.

Naturally I took account of how the camera aspect could distort the distances involved, that's why I measured between points on the relevant lines which I know to be in line with each other such as along the side line.  And I enlarged the images to full screen size to get a better view.  That's how I can be sure that I measured accurately.

I think we can be pretty sure that the RFU bigshots almost certainly wouldn't stand for a less than full size field at a showpiece event, they'd want everything about such an event to be just right.  So if all the ratios of distances between the lines on that field match the comparable ratios of a full length RU field (as they do in this case) I suggest that we can be confident that those prove that the field was the full length.

The Gridiron pitch might be 117 metres, but the metre deep run-offs shorten the pitch that sits on top.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

I mean its pretty clear the difference and why there is a difference in length:

THFC_Pitch_TottenhamHotspurFC-2000-1024x682.jpg

Thanks for that shot, Damien!

Very useful illustration of the two pitches side by side.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Yes I do, but the ratio of the distance in the still image in the highlight video at the kickoff from the goal line to the kickoff line divided by the distance from the goal line to the 22 metre was exactly the same as 50 divided by 22, which means that distance from the goal line to the kickoff line was 50 metres.  That means the field was 100 metres long, not less.

The goal line can't be in the same place, if it was then my measurement and calculations wouldn't have given the same ratio as 50 divided by 22 and they did.

The camera never lies. 😀

7 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

The Gridiron pitch might be 117 metres, but the metre deep run-offs shorten the pitch that sits on top.

It's not even 117 metres, it's exactly 109.75 metres from end zone to end zone.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JohnM said:

No we don't. We say soccer.

Thats why we watch the Soccer Association Cup Final organised by the Soccer Association, a member of The Federation of international soccer associations. We also Have the SoccerAssociation Premier League and Soccer League Championship, League one and league 2.

And  the big one next weekend…The Union of European Soccer Association’s Champions League Final.

I still pine for my Charlie Buchan’s Soccer monthly.

Of course you cannot rely on those foreigners, like the DFB, FFF, RFEF, And in Brazil the CBF.  Of course there is no F in the netherlands…its voetball, or should that be voccer?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Damien said:

The distance between the broken yellow lines behind the NFL end lines is 128 yards which is 117 metres.

6 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Thats why we watch the Soccer Association Cup Final organised by the Soccer Association, a member of The Federation of international soccer associations. We also Have the SoccerAssociation Premier League and Soccer League Championship, League one and league 2.

And  the big one next weekend…The Union of European Soccer Association’s Champions League Final.

Of course you cannot rely on those foreigners, like the DFB, FFF, RFEF, And in Brazil the CBF.  Of course there is no F in the netherlands…its voetball, or should that be voccer?

Soccer is a word of English derivation which is short for association football, did you not know that?

I have to give you full credit because its quite obvious on the video you posted on page 1. It is also quite obvious that the lines are in the same place on the RL photo too:

image.png.e2b7dfcf86e69bbf297464dc53d38e20.png

And you evidence that those lines are in the same place as the lines for RL is what exactly?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Big Picture said:

The distance between the broken yellow lines behind the NFL end lines is 128 yards which is 117 metres.

Soccer is a word of English derivation which is short for association football, did you not know that?

And rugger is a word of English derivation which is short for rugby football, doesnt seem to be used much though.

Ill stick to football and rugby thanks, like the rest of the world outside of north america.

3 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

And rugger is a word of English derivation which is short for rugby football, doesnt seem to be used much though.

Ill stick to football and rugby thanks, like the rest of the world outside of north america.

You're forgetting that it's soccer in Australia and New Zealand too.  Thanks for recognizing that rugby is a type of football too by the way.

29 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

And you evidence that those lines are in the same place as the lines for RL is what exactly?

You are just being obtuse now. You said there are no soccer markings. There are, I just showed you from the video you posted. Those lines place the RU try line and dead ball line in exactly the same place as the RL equivalent. The goal area marking proves that. The dead ball line is exactly the same as the soccer equivalent, literally any photo of a Tottenham game shows that due to the proximity of the slope. The pictures on this are clear but you are still trying to argue black is white to make out RL is doing something than other sports. Its bizarre.

44 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Nothing better to do this afternoon? 🙂

You might call it football, others might call it football. The fact remains that we call it soccer, a contraction of association football. Always did, still do and will do.  At school in the 1950s,at college in the 1960s, at work in the 1970s onwards, and in retirement from 2017 onwards.

Wikipedia sees it slightly differently.

"The term soccer comes from Oxford "-er" slang, which was prevalent at Oxford University in England from about 1875, and is thought to have been borrowed from the slang of Rugby School. The slang also gave rise to rugger for Rugby football, fiver and tenner for a five-pound and ten-pound note, and the now-archaic footer for association football. The word soccer (which arrived at its final form in 1895) was first recorded in 1889 in the earlier form of socca."

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

You are just being obtuse now. You said there are no soccer markings. There are, I just showed you from the video you posted. Those lines place the RU try line and dead ball line in exactly the same place as the RL equivalent. The goal area marking proves that. The dead ball line is exactly the same as the soccer equivalent, literally any photo of a Tottenham game shows that due to the proximity of the slope. The pictures on this are clear but you are still trying to argue black is white to make out RL is doing something than other sports. Its bizarre.

I take it you mean the barely visible blueish lines there?  I missed those altogether when I first looked at it but I grant that they could be soccer lines covered over, in which case I'll admit that I was mistaken.  Those runoff slopes really are horrible aren't they/

5 hours ago, Damien said:

Yes, there certainly wouldn't appear to be an extra 6 metres on each end of the underneath field - judging on that side-by-side pic you shared.

What you say makes sense to me.

10 hours ago, Big Picture said:

You're forgetting that it's soccer in Australia and New Zealand too.  Thanks for recognizing that rugby is a type of football too by the way.

It wasn't when I lived and played there in the 70s , it was football , Rugby union was Rugby , and RL was Rugby League or just League