Sun 3rd Jul: SL: Warrington Wolves v Salford Red Devils KO 15:00

Who will win?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • Salford Red Devils

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/07/22 at 14:30

1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Yesterday's result put last week's game in prospective, today was 2 poor defensive teams(non existent) and SRD a better attack. Only Cooper shows any glimpse of being a decent forward. Holmes, Mulhern, and the rest are not even average. 

Rugby League in a nutshell. After a game as entertaining as that, why would you call them two poor defences? I didn't see much poor defence, just some great attacking play, particularly by Salford who are, I would dare to suggest, the most entertaining team in Super League at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hammerless Nail said:

Rugby League in a nutshell. After a game as entertaining as that, why would you call them two poor defences? I didn't see much poor defence, just some great attacking play, particularly by Salford who are, I would dare to suggest, the most entertaining team in Super League at the moment.

Entertaining yes, but 2 teams who could not defend, who ever kept hold of the ball won simple as that. Enjoy your victory well deserved but really 2 poor sides, Warrington the poorer. 

1 hour ago, tonyXIII said:

Hmmm! Toulouse ARE in the league and Warrington ARE in that relegation battle - as are we. If you are not careful and do not show your fellow strugglers some respect, it could be Warrington's year at last - for the wrong reason!

You mean as a fan or as a club. TO wont win enough to trouble the rest, the others will pick up odd wins but whether I respect (I do) other sides won't impact the results. As for Warrington disrespect for other teams, they don't respect the shirt never mind other teams. 

Everything about people's reaction when their passion is problematic defies sense.

Two teams that can't defend would end up with a basketball score.

Disappointment is hard to take piling on silly afterwards won't help.

Edited by Oxford
  • Haha 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

33 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

You mean as a fan or as a club. TO wont win enough to trouble the rest, the others will pick up odd wins but whether I respect (I do) other sides won't impact the results. As for Warrington disrespect for other teams, they don't respect the shirt never mind other teams. 

Toulouse have Wakefield away next week and then a run of three consecutive home games against Leeds, Salford and Hull FC.  And then HKR and Warrington away.

So the next 7 games against teams no higher than 6th and 3 weeks of home games on the bounce.

I don't think Toulouse are out of this race at all.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Toulouse have Wakefield away next week and then a run of three consecutive home games against Leeds, Salford and Hull FC.  And then HKR and Warrington away.

So the next 7 games against teams no higher than 6th and 3 weeks of home games on the bounce.

And Wire's next 5 games see them play 4 teams in the top 5 on the table.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

20 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

17 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

And Wire's next 5 games see them play 4 teams in the top 5 on the table.

And don't forget when the fat lady sings!

Today we sank to a new low. At 24-8 in front we should have found some way to turn the screw and put Salford to the sword. Instead, we find a way not for the first time to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. To be 24-14 up with 9 mins to play and end up losing I can't understand. We need to have a good hard look in the mirror?? Sadly I think those who will be leaving at the end of the season no longer care, they are picking up easy money for not a lot of effort. Those who might care are not with us until next season!

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

39 minutes ago, Wilderspoolmemories said:

Today we sank to a new low. At 24-8 in front we should have found some way to turn the screw and put Salford to the sword. Instead, we find a way not for the first time to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. To be 24-14 up with 9 mins to play and end up losing I can't understand. We need to have a good hard look in the mirror?? Sadly I think those who will be leaving at the end of the season no longer care, they are picking up easy money for not a lot of effort. Those who might care are not with us until next season!

Any chance that it might just have been that Salford played well?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, johnh1 said:

No SRD have to disappear from the image because the opposition gets right in the way of the great blame game.

I also think that this was because it was SRD that the reaction has been so strong.

10 hours ago, Dunbar said:

You beat me to it. Toulouse have winnable games there, Wire don't look like winning any. Beating Hull isn't really anything to shout about as they are doing their usual thing right now. 

8 hours ago, johnh1 said:

Whilst I'm not a fan of not giving credit where it is due and focusing solely on one team, Wire are a disaster at the moment and Salford were 10 points down with 9 minutes to go at possibly the worst team in the comp. That doesn't suggest they were playing well at 70 minutes. 

Of course they did well to finish the game emphatically and do what they needed to, but I suspect the West Stand wasn't buoyant at the 70m mark. 

Edited by Dave T

But it’s an 80 minute game Dave. As Oxford said, the fallout from the Wire fans would probably not have been the same if they were playing Wigan or Saints. But because it was little old Salford, who bring nothing to SuperLeague, it was unacceptable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Whilst I'm not a fan of not giving credit where it is due and focusing solely on one team, Wire are a disaster at the moment and Salford were 10 points down with 9 minutes to go at possibly the worst team in the comp. That doesn't suggest they were playing well at 70 minutes. 

Of course they did well to finish the game emphatically and do what they needed to, but I suspect the West Stand wasn't buoyant at the 70m mark. 

We had a disastrous 10-15 minute spell where Watkins was sin-binned and our right edge defence became completely non-existent. To be fair to Warrington, the left edge of Thewlis and Wardle did look threatening at times. Bar that, we were quite clearly the better team. Obviously, we can't have these disastrous 10-15 minute spells if we want to make the play-offs but our attack is capable of rescuing us against all but the top 4 sides in the competition IMO. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ray Cashmere said:

We had a disastrous 10-15 minute spell where Watkins was sin-binned and our right edge defence became completely non-existent. To be fair to Warrington, the left edge of Thewlis and Wardle did look threatening at times. Bar that, we were quite clearly the better team. Obviously, we can't have these disastrous 10-15 minute spells if we want to make the play-offs but our attack is capable of rescuing us against all but the top 4 sides in the competition IMO. 

My point isn't about being the better team though, being better than Warrington at the moment is no great shakes unfortunately! 

The claim was that Salford played well. With 70 minutes gone they had scored 14 points and were losing by 10 to a shocking team. 

That suggests that Salford didn't play that well, Im prepared to bet that there was some Salford fans restless before the comeback. 

I couldn't go yesterday, and Salford were clearly better than Wire and deserving of the win, because the scoreboard says so. 

Edit: but I'm not here to pee on anyone's chips Ray, enjoy your victory and good luck for the reast of the season.

Edited by Dave T

53 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

But it’s an 80 minute game Dave. As Oxford said, the fallout from the Wire fans would probably not have been the same if they were playing Wigan or Saints. But because it was little old Salford, who bring nothing to SuperLeague, it was unacceptable.

This is a weird position.

Are you saying that losing at home in this fashion to Salford is just the same as losing to Wigan and Saints?

Whether you like it or not, Wigan and Saints are far better teams than Salford, who before yesterday were level with us in the table in 9th. Conceding 18 points in the last 9 minutes at home against a team level in the league is well worthy of criticism.

I'm also not interested in the self-pitying last line - I often defend Salford on here from some of the nonsense 'business case wars'.

If you want an example of how your point is nonsense - see the reaction to the hammering by Leeds a few weeks ago. The commentary is all about the performances - Leeds are another team off form yet they battered us. Yet, Leeds are accepted as a top club.

Edited by Dave T

7 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

Strange response that, Dave, but I'm not going to start an argument. I usually agree with most of your posts, but not this time.

You suggest fans are more annoyed losing to Salford (9th) at home versus Saints (1st) or Wigan (2nd).

Of course they are. That's not a slur on poor little Salford, it's a reflection of the league table. 

There ain't much more to it than that imho. 

Edited by Dave T

4 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Is this a personal exchange or can we all join in. 😄

Just seeking out some intelligent conversation!

Sometimes you are surprized. Other times your gut tells you just to wait and it will come.

Even at 70 minutes and ten down it just didn't feel like "same old same Salford" but something was up and so it was.

That fight back was remarkable. A truly hard earned, but worthy display born from resilience and skill.

The media will of course concentrate on the latest Warrington woes. Portraying more a Wire wipeout than a Salford success. But it really was the later.

Rowleyball plays to the team's strengths. They have a hard working but lightweight pack so the burden is on the backs, wit and speed to open up teams.

And how they do. 100 points in two games. Four wins in six. That aim of ten wins and safety comes closer. That is the starting point. Anything else is a bonus and unlike a number of other clubs, that will be enjoyed and rejoiced in abundance if it happens. Others might have the entitlement, but we just enjoy the moment. 

Whether the wins last. Well paperthin squad, etc. But SRD deserve some respect for once, kids

Enjoy the moment.

Good times. ✌🏼️😃✌🏼️

Edited by idrewthehaggis
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

being better than Warrington at the moment is no great shakes unfortunately! 

I think Wolves' fans are being overly dramatic and pessimistic at the moment Dave, quick turn arounds when coaches change last about 5 minutes, long term planning and changes needed to achieve them can last decades.

Now I'm not a Powell fan in terms of his attitudes and some of his statements but clearly those players at Warrington  are not a happy bunch on the whole but it will almost certainly start to benefit the club next year.

Whether on not the club hangs on to see is another matter.

But this was one game against a very good attacking side that is patient but risky.

There are too many injuries both on and off the pitch for both sides as well as tired bodies right now.

If you look at this as, we should beat Salford everyday of the week, then you can't get upset if they lose because the players will have felt that way too and even in RL where dominance is everything there is no right to win against anyone.

The thing is we probably wouldn't have a thread or conversation like this if we didn't have relegation and it wouldn't be quite so dramatic if relegation wasn't so damaging.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I think Wolves' fans are being overly dramatic and pessimistic at the moment Dave, quick turn arounds when coaches change last about 5 minutes, long term planning and changes needed to achieve them can last decades.

Now I'm not a Powell fan in terms of his attitudes and some of his statements but clearly those players at Warrington  are not a happy bunch on the whole but it will almost certainly start to benefit the club next year.

Whether on not the club hangs on to see is another matter.

But this was one game against a very good attacking side that is patient but risky.

There are too many injuries both on and off the pitch for both sides as well as tired bodies right now.

If you look at this as, we should beat Salford everyday of the week, then you can't get upset if they lose because the players will have felt that way too and even in RL where dominance is everything there is no right to win against anyone.

The thing is we probably wouldn't have a thread or conversation like this if we didn't have relegation and it wouldn't be quite so dramatic if relegation wasn't so damaging.

“We….are…..going down, say we are going down”.  🎶😎