Sat 9th Jul: SL-MW: St Helens v Wigan Warriors KO 16:45 (Sky)

Who will win?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/07/22 at 16:15

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Did someone say St Helens v Wigan would struggle to match the entertainment of Wakefield v Toulouse?

I thought the first half was dreadful but the second half provided enough skill and excitement for two games.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Righto, off to the next match thread.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Roy Haggerty said:

Matty Peet might be a pie, but he’s a very likeable, dignified bloke in post-match interviews. 

Was about to post the exact same thing, he's always good in post match interviews. 

• Like 2

Well played Saints. Batchelor has been a revelation this season and has to be in the England squad. They have a fair few players that can break the line and you can't write them off.

As a Wigan fan I'm very optimistic going forward for the play offs. The sending off cost us dearly. I thought it was a little harsh with the man falling, it was a yellow for me, but Singleton had got himself in a stupid bodily position to then put on that shot. Wigan can do better than Singleton,  and Isa for the matter.

Another great game.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Roy Haggerty said:

Matty Peet might be a pie, but he’s a very likeable, dignified bloke in post-match interviews. 

See if he's as dignified if you ever sign a player from them.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Indeed. If there is one skill on a rugby field that can be taught and developed its goalkicking.

England are going to have exactly the same problem. No one kicking at 80% will make that 17.

11 minutes ago, Roy Haggerty said:

It’s really annoying. I want to dislike him but I really can’t. If you could show the very opposite end of the spectrum from Shaun Wane, it’s Matty Peet. 

Edited by Jughead

it was a good game, I do wonder what game we’ve become when it becomes standard practice for someone to lie on the floor when uninjured. It certainly paid off for Sironen, Is he the real man Sironen’s son? It settled the game though, so I imagine we will see it in every game from now on. (And I do appreciate Fazz tried ineptly to milk an attack to the head as well.) it’s almost an anti rugby league tactic, 

As ever with Peetball, some absolutely superb attack on show. We are such a good team to watch this year.

• Confused 5

Just now, Exiled Wiganer said:

it was a good game, I do wonder what game we’ve become when it becomes standard practice for someone to lie on the floor when uninjured. It certainly paid off for Sironen, Is he the real man Sironen’s son? It settled the game though, so I imagine we will see it in every game from now on. (And I do appreciate Fazz tried ineptly to milk an attack to the head as well.) it’s almost an anti rugby league tactic, 

As ever with Peetball, some absolutely superb attack on show. We are such a good team to watch this year.

Yes it is a worrying trend. When you see a stand up guy like Farrell appear to do it you know the game has a problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

It’s as clear a red as any given out this year but “boo, fans will turn off”. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

So your completely ignoring the shoulder/arm into the back of the head? I'm sure that just tickled him.

Edited by dkw
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

It’s been a saints tactic for years.

I thought that was a fantastic game. The send off was massively frustrating (the correct decision though) but at least it made the defeat easier to take. I really didn't expect us to get anything out of it after going down to 12 men but that Bevan French try got the hopes up. Unfortunately we don't quite have the defensive strength to keep out a Saints team with a man advantage. Great effort though.

In the first half we really struggled to make ground and it once again showed the Saints front row is stronger than Wigan's. It's a work in progress to keep improving in that area but Singleton today showed why Cooper is a sensible signing. Our senior prop isn't a pack leader, he's a liability and not much better than our young forwards.

I was also a bit puzzled that Pearce-Paul didn't play. Had a strong game against Trinity yet he goes with Isa (who admittedly has played well at centre in the last couple of years) and Bibby, who I just don't get what is seen in him. Still, to be competing with Saints in these games is exactly where we need to be. There's still improvement needed but hopefully we can be at our best with our strongest squad at the end of the year.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, EagleEyePie said:

I thought that was a fantastic game. The send off was massively frustrating (the correct decision though) but at least it made the defeat easier to take. I really didn't expect us to get anything out of it after going down to 12 men but that Bevan French try got the hopes up. Unfortunately we don't quite have the defensive strength to keep out a Saints team with a man advantage. Great effort though.

In the first half we really struggled to make ground and it once again showed the Saints front row is stronger than Wigan's. It's a work in progress to keep improving in that area but Singleton today showed why Cooper is a sensible signing. Our senior prop isn't a pack leader, he's a liability and not much better than our young forwards.

I was also a bit puzzled that Pearce-Paul didn't play. Had a strong game against Trinity yet he goes with Isa (who admittedly has played well at centre in the last couple of years) and Bibby, who I just don't get what is seen in him. Still, to be competing with Saints in these games is exactly where we need to be. There's still improvement needed but hopefully we can be at our best with our strongest squad at the end of the year.

KPP was ill apparently, mentioned it in the commentary.

24 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Faz did it in thirst half as well and as soon as the penalty was given jumped up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

He has been a lucky lad, would Lam have been any different with Field and French performing as they have done all season, it was Lam who took both to Wigan but could never utilise them together, and of course he has Briers, O'Loughlin and Wane as 'ASSISTANTS'!

9 minutes ago, hullste said:

Faz did it in thirst half as well and as soon as the penalty was given jumped up. 

And I think he did it in the Cup Final too. He certainly did it after the Saints “man” had succeeded in getting Singleton sent off. It’s a blight on the game. 

Putting to one side the game defining incident, though, I was very happy with what we tried to do. Our handling was well off what it should be, which meant we couldn’t cut them up as often as we would like, but we are years ahead of where I expected us to be.

We just need to keep doing what we know works, and have already had a successful season. The game at our place is a great chance to show what we can do. In Peet we can trust. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

He has been a lucky lad, would Lam have been any different with Field and French performing as they have done all season, it was Lam who took both to Wigan but could never utilise them together, and of course he has Briers, O'Loughlin and Wane as 'ASSISTANTS'!

There is indeed an alternative world in which Lam was able to utilise those 2 alongside Hastings last year. The recruitment was superb. We will never know, but Peet is making the most of the hand he was dealt. 

• Like 1