Hull FC sign Liam Sutcliffe..

2 minutes ago, Mark S said:

Another case of Hetherington thinking that academy bred players are happy to get paid buttons. It works when the club is winning plenty of trophies each season. 

Not the case with Sutcliffe, he was on a big contract, which was never fully justified

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

For those who say 'NRL doesn't always mean better' - take this as a prime example. You've got a lad playing for his home city club at 27 years of age getting shipped out....to bring in a former NRL player, who btw has played less than 10 first grade games in the past 4 seasons. Pretty sad indictment for SL really. 

The top end of Queensland Cup is comparable to lower end Super League and he was one of the best players in that comp. Sutcliffe staying at Leeds for a while doesn't mean he's a great player. LMS has been at Saints for years, doesn't mean he is irreplaceable. 

21 minutes ago, Mark S said:

Another case of Hetherington thinking that academy bred players are happy to get paid buttons. It works when the club is winning plenty of trophies each season. 

How do you know he is getting paid buttons?

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Mark S said:

What are you talking about? Sutcliffe was under contract until the end of 2024. The club have released him, their (Smith's) decision, to go to Hull.

52 minutes ago, Mark S said:

Rubbish.

Sutcliffe had only just resigned last year after putting in a transfer request for a move to Cas which fell through.

How have you managed to get hold of the salary information at Leeds?

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

Salary Cap, and Smith wanting a proper centre rather than a utility player

I always wonder how elastic the SC is. Surely the difference between a proper center and a utility is more about how often they're used in each role?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

19 hours ago, M j M said:

Never quite lived up to his potential at Leeds unfortunately. I still think given a solid run in the centres he has shown hints of form but I don't think too many Leeds fans will lose sleep over his departure. 

Nene McDonald inbound to replace him by all accounts.

This Nene McDonald

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/leigh-centurions-star-nene-macdonald-hit-with-a-hefty-punishment-57322/

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So how much are Leeds prepared to pay for him if as the link indicates Macdonald has signed a contract at Leigh. 

I'm not going to click on a SARL link so will take it as read  but given Leigh need to lose about 10 overseas players if they get promoted to SL and the player would no doubt rather be at Leeds than at Leigh I'm sure it will all be fine.

21 minutes ago, M j M said:

I'm not going to click on a SARL link so will take it as read  but given Leigh need to lose about 10 overseas players if they get promoted to SL and the player would no doubt rather be at Leeds than at Leigh I'm sure it will all be fine.

6 players they need to show the exit not 10, Jy Hitchcox played 2 games not in favour Hingano out on loan to York, roumered that Aaekins is homesick, Inu will be 36 next season, Nakubewei and Ioane would not be kept in place of the other overseas lads.

But it does not alter the fact if he is contracted to Leigh Leeds will have to pay for him, and I would say for at least his contract value plus 50% to obtain a better player, no good letting him go for someone not as good, with the money Leigh themselves can go into the transfer market. No need to wait for out of contract players.

Edited by Harry Stottle

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

But it does not alter the fact if he is contracted to Leigh Leeds will have to pay for him, and I would say for at least his contract value plus 50% to obtain a better player, no good letting him go for someone not as good, with the money Leigh themselves can go into the transfer market. No need to wait for out of contract players.

Nah I don't think so. Leeds might pay a notional fee but you're not getting £100k out of them for a player who wants to leave at a time your own roster is already such a mess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

6 players they need to show the exit not 10, Jy Hitchcox played 2 games not in favour Hingano out on loan to York, roumered that Aaekins is homesick, Inu will be 36 next season, Nakubewei and Ioane would not be kept in place of the other overseas lads.

Leeds don’t ‘have’ to pay anything. Hull haven’t paid for Sutcliffe. Being signed  for a club doesn’t automatically mean they’ll get a fee.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Leeds don’t ‘have’ to pay anything. Hull haven’t paid for Sutcliffe. Being signed  for a club doesn’t automatically mean they’ll get a fee.

It does if the club doesn't want to give him away, and he is contracted, it may have slipped out notice but contracts work both ways, to protect both parties.

• Like 1

On 09/08/2022 at 19:42, Tommygilf said:

His utility is often cited as his simultaneously greatest strength and greatest flaw. Its true, no Leeds coach has ever seemed to settle on a single position for Sutcliffe and his Squad numbers at Leeds have reflected that.

On the other hand of course, you could also take the view that his versatility has also come about because he has never really been at the right level in any one position either. Not big enough for second row or loose. Not fast enough at full back. Not skillful enough in the halves. Not got the pace or handling for the centres.

Hull have got a decent squad player. A capable hard working lad the likes of which every squad needs. But if he is in your starting 13 it will be because you're starting 13 has a noticeable weakness.

The new Richard Whiting then you might say.

Edited by Ragingbull

On 09/08/2022 at 19:42, Tommygilf said:

Could never fault his work rate and effort, but for a man who was playing 6 and Centre, he could never pass. I've felt sorry for Handley at times this year with so little service coming from his centre; its like he has glue on his hands.

Perhaps Sutcliffe epitomises (alongside to a lesser extent Cam Smith) the problem Leeds had between 2013 and 2019 bringing through youth to replace the "golden generation". Scouts, coaches and the board seemed to have convinced themselves that these players were the best thing since sliced bread and they just haven't reached those heights at all.

His utility is often cited as his simultaneously greatest strength and greatest flaw. Its true, no Leeds coach has ever seemed to settle on a single position for Sutcliffe and his Squad numbers at Leeds have reflected that.

On the other hand of course, you could also take the view that his versatility has also come about because he has never really been at the right level in any one position either. Not big enough for second row or loose. Not fast enough at full back. Not skillful enough in the halves. Not got the pace or handling for the centres.

Hull have got a decent squad player. A capable hard working lad the likes of which every squad needs. But if he is in your starting 13 it will be because you're starting 13 has a noticeable weakness.

Duplicate post

Edited by Ragingbull

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

It does if the club doesn't want to give him away, and he is contracted, it may have slipped out notice but contracts work both ways, to protect both parties.

They should do, they often don't in Rugby League - which has worked for both players and clubs in the past.

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

The problem Leigh have is they have to get rid of some OQ players if they get promoted. If one of their OQ players actually wants to leave why would they keep him it solves s problem for them.

26 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

The problem Leigh have is they have to get rid of some OQ players if they get promoted. If one of their OQ players actually wants to leave why would they keep him it solves s problem for them.

It seems that a few Rhino's fans are desperate for Nene to make his way to Headingley, can you please direct me to where it says he wants to Leave, I have not heard or have seen that, it to be looks more like one of those slimey agents orchestrating something to line their pockets with.

I heard weeks ago that he had signed for Leigh, albeit not officially, but if he has then tgey would be absolutely stupid not to demand a transfer fee for him, it is not a problem with the overseas player's on who to retain or not, it is near done and dusted in as much in the opinion of the fans and they won't be far wrong.

Nene is a big part of the plan and structure for next season, I don't think he will be allowed to leave without recompense, so if Leeds really want him they will have to pay for him.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

It seems that a few Rhino's fans are desperate for Nene to make his way to Headingley, can you please direct me to where it says he wants to Leave, I have not heard or have seen that, it to be looks more like one of those slimey agents orchestrating something to line their pockets with.

I heard weeks ago that he had signed for Leigh, albeit not officially, but if he has then tgey would be absolutely stupid not to demand a transfer fee for him, it is not a problem with the overseas player's on who to retain or not, it is near done and dusted in as much in the opinion of the fans and they won't be far wrong.

Nene is a big part of the plan and structure for next season, I don't think he will be allowed to leave without recompense, so if Leeds really want him they will have to pay for him.

Nobody is ‘desperate’ it’s just a rumour and with Macdonald being close to Smith it’s a rumour that makes sense seeing as we’ve just got rid of a centre.

If Smith wants him and he wants to come to Headingley and we have to pay, then so be it.

I can’t direct you to a piece that says he wants to leave, just as you can’t direct me to a piece that says he’s resigned for Leigh - and it’s worth bearing in mind you and of course Leigh don’t know what league they will be playing in as it stands.

Why do the rules in Championship allow teams to have so many overseas players? That’s surely unfair and creates a disproportionate competition particularly given how much harder it is for part time clubs to sign overseas players 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Nobody is ‘desperate’ it’s just a rumour and with Macdonald being close to Smith it’s a rumour that makes sense seeing as we’ve just got rid of a centre.

If Smith wants him and he wants to come to Headingley and we have to pay, then so be it.

I can’t direct you to a piece that says he wants to leave, just as you can’t direct me to a piece that says he’s resigned for Leigh - and it’s worth bearing in mind you and of course Leigh don’t know what league they will be playing in as it stands.

As I said in a previous post, demanding a fee and recieving it means that we don't only have to go for player's who are off contract, we can enter into a transfer market situation, it would be crazy not to do so.

Your last sentance is oh so true, and as a fan of the club finals day - if we get there- will be a very nervy time, but I suspect there will not be many - including your good self - who would back against Leigh being in SL next season especially as the game is at Leigh's ground.