Jump to content

European U19s Format Confirmed


Recommended Posts


I love the look of this.

So suggestive of a bright future. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

So it’s 13 a side but they’re playing 20 minute games in the group stages? 

Looks like a form of on field seeding system  before progressively  extending the length of play to 40 min and then full 80. Maybe aimed at trying to avoid blow out scores early doors.

Good idea at this stage of youth European development.....

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It looks great and a huge step in the right direction. The 20 minute games are just daft. I'd imagine it cuts down on costs an awful lot though and means they can condense the tournament into a week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There has been lots said within our and the other code about using 7/9s as an introduction for the non traditional nations as a development tool.

This seems to be in this spirit. So there is lots to like about. It certainly will avoid massive soul crushing blow outs. 

Certainly it would be a great event to watch as well. Lignano Sabbiadoro is a fine venue. A bit of an Italo-German resort, but you know great that the Game is been taken to NE Italy.

Indeed can I discretely suggest this being sort of a new game format - Rugby League 20?

(Up there with my humdinger of Arena indoor RL 7s😀)

Edited by idrewthehaggis
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Damien said:

It looks great and a huge step in the right direction. The 20 minute games are just daft. I'd imagine it cuts down on costs an awful lot though and means they can condense the tournament into a week.

I imagine it will reduce blow-out scores amongst mis-matched teams but also the short games will cause less wear and tear on teams who have to play the next round in just a few days. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Damien said:

It looks great and a huge step in the right direction. The 20 minute games are just daft. I'd imagine it cuts down on costs an awful lot though and means they can condense the tournament into a week.

Quite the contradiction there

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

Quite the contradiction there

There is no contradiction. It's quite possible to think 20 minute games are daft and realise that this is very likely down to cost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Damien said:

There is no contradiction. It's quite possible to think 20 minute games are daft and realise that this is very likely down to cost.

Cost is clearly a factor  but the schedule has much to admire.

All countries play each other on day one - and get 2 hours rugby each over the day. That will sort out a pecking order for mid week followed by the following weekend's semi's  and finals - again actually more than  90 min rugby for the participants spread over a full day.

Should be a great time for all-  direct country to country social mix for the lads  and networking opportunities for various managements surely invaluable..........

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

There has been lots said within our and the other code about using 7/9s as an introduction for the non traditional nations as a development tool.

This seems to be in this spirit. So there is lots to like about. It certainly will avoid massive soul crushing blow outs. 

Certainly it would be a great event to watch as well. Lignano Sabbiadoro is a fine venue. A bit of an Italo-German resort, but you know great that the Game is been taken to NE Italy.

Indeed can I discretely suggest this being sort of a new game format - Rugby League 20?

(Up there with my humdinger of Arena indoor RL 7s😀)

That’s not the venue mentioned in the article. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

That’s not the venue mentioned in the article. 

It's where the squads are staying. They're all at the resort hotel, and going to the ground belonging to the rugby club in Udine to play the games. The beach resort doesn't have a built in rugby ground.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JonM said:

It's where the squads are staying. They're all at the resort hotel, and going to the ground belonging to the rugby club in Udine to play the games. The beach resort doesn't have a built in rugby ground.

Ah makes sense, thanks for clarifying mate 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So Ukraine making every effort to get there despite being in a war, Scotland can’t raise a team. Honestly … Scotland feels like it’s made zero progress this century, if anything it’s gone backwards.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Would it be fair to say the list of nations reflects which countries have more potential in the future? 

The answer to that probably requires clarification of the criteria for "potential", but for some potentially interesting context which may paint the picture a little better - the 2019 (last non-covid year) ERL annual report had the registered participant numbers of these nations as follows: 

Registered Paticipants (Coaches/Match Officials/Players)

  1. England: 44,215
  2. France: 8,140
  3. Wales: 1,306
  4. Ukraine: 802 (actually increased to 1005 in 2020)
  5. Serbia: 712
  6. Ireland: 437
  7. Scotland: 263
  8. Italy: N/A (In 2018 it was 255)

Note: Norway (569) and Turkey (511) are the only nations not involved in the u19 champs which would register on this list.

As for numbers of participating youth clubs and schools (with matches played in brackets):

  1. England: 100+ (100+)
  2. France: 100+ (100+)
  3. Wales: 87 (100)+
  4. Ukraine: 24 (19)
  5. Ireland: 6 (16)
  6. Serbia: 5 (36)
  7. Italy: 3 (3)
  8. Scotland: 2 (3)

Note: Czech Republic - 6(30) and Turkey 4(12) are the only two would make this list.

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...