The Transfer Rumour Mill Thread

9 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I’d add Ellis to that list & maybe Cust given his form this year,that free’s up some quota places for hopefully some quality imports.

His brain fade apart Ellis has probably been our best prop this season (tight between him and Havard). Cust can go without any question IMO and so can Mago/Singleton but I'd be extremely disappointed to see Ellis let go. 

15 minutes ago, WN83 said:

His brain fade apart Ellis has probably been our best prop this season (tight between him and Havard). Cust can go without any question IMO and so can Mago/Singleton but I'd be extremely disappointed to see Ellis let go. 

I can honestly say I can’t recall Ellis doing anything memorable (cup brainfart apart) in his nearly 2 seasons at the club,use his quota place for a prop who can bend/break the line.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Leeming improves Wigan far more than he would improve pretty much any other side. 

Walters replaces KPP. 

I think we still have 2 marquee places up for grabs, and a billionaire owner who has just bought the stadium. 

To be fair pretty much no other club had a Powell as their starting 9

10 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I can honestly say I can’t recall Ellis doing anything memorable (cup brainfart apart) in his nearly 2 seasons at the club,use his quota place for a prop who can bend/break the line.

He was average last year but he's been class IMO this season. In that run of games against Leigh, Saints and Wire he was absolutely outstanding, comfortably breaking 100 metres in each game (120m, 113m and 125m in those 3 games). He's not dropped below 90 metres a game in his last 6 appearances, which are cracking numbers. He came back from a month out in the cup at Leeds and after Havard went down early, he played long minutes and again was fantastic. The lad is as fit as a fiddle, mobile and his workrate is very good. I'm surprised any Wigan fan wouldn't rate him on this seasons form, especially when we can compare him to the chuckle brothers of Mago and Singleton. If we compare him to a player clubs have been willing to shell out 200 grand on in Tyler Dupree, he hasn't hit the 100 metre mark for 11 games now, with one game game him making 36 metres at 4 metres a carry. That comparison is pretty startling when you consider we're one of the clubs willing to part with cash for him!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, WN83 said:

He was average last year but he's been class IMO this season. In that run of games against Leigh, Saints and Wire he was absolutely outstanding, comfortably breaking 100 metres in each game (120m, 113m and 125m in those 3 games). He's not dropped below 90 metres a game in his last 6 appearances, which are cracking numbers. He came back from a month out in the cup at Leeds and after Havard went down early, he played long minutes and again was fantastic. The lad is as fit as a fiddle, mobile and his workrate is very good. I'm surprised any Wigan fan wouldn't rate him on this seasons form, especially when we can compare him to the chuckle brothers of Mago and Singleton. If we compare him to a player clubs have been willing to shell out 200 grand on in Tyler Dupree, he hasn't hit the 100 metre mark for 11 games now, with one game game him making 36 metres at 4 metres a carry. That comparison is pretty startling when you consider we're one of the clubs willing to part with cash for him!

Wow Ellis & Isa have been Wigan’s best,who knew.

27 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Clearly not you and you’re entitled to your opinion. Isa, I can get why somebody would question but if you think Ellis hasn’t had a good season, I’m thinking maybe you’ve been watching games on the radio. It makes things more interesting if you actually counter with why you’d release Ellis or why you’re confused that somebody would think he’s had a good season? If a lesser player (at least on a statistical basis) would cost 200k, who would you replace him with? 

Edited by WN83

37 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I don’t think that was what they were saying. They backed up an opinion on Ellis. Compellingly, I would say. Havard has clearly been Wigan’s best forward. 

3 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I don’t think that was what they were saying. They backed up an opinion on Ellis. Compellingly, I would say. Havard has clearly been Wigan’s best forward. 

He has recently without a doubt and probably over the season as well. There’s only him and Ellis who can be satisfied with how things have gone so far IMO (in terms of props). Liam Byrne has dropped off a little, although I think he’s been better the last two weeks. Harvie Hill looks promising but no point talking about him in regards to the whole season. Mago and Singleton, well we may as well not go there. 

40 minutes ago, WN83 said:

Clearly not you and you’re entitled to your opinion. Isa, I can get why somebody would question but if you think Ellis hasn’t had a good season, I’m thinking maybe you’ve been watching games on the radio. It makes things more interesting if you actually counter with why you’d release Ellis or why you’re confused that somebody would think he’s had a good season? If a lesser player (at least on a statistical basis) would cost 200k, who would you replace him with? 

Is 1 really poor season followed by an improved one interrupted by a couple of bans really worthy of a new contract ? He’s using up up a quota spot,do we really need to waste them on run of the mill players (He’s hardly been our best player)or in the likes of Isa & Mago poor players ?

Getting rid of those 3 added to Singleton,Powell & possibly  the unfortunate Cooper should free up cap space to bring in 2 real quality props to add to Havard,Byrne & the improving Hill which could go somewhere to improving the glowing weakness that has held us back over the past few years.

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Oh I agree on Havard,worryingly he’s often our only impact middle although Byrne & young Hill have gone up a notch or 2 recently.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Tyrone Roberts linked with the Rhinos - bit leftfield that one, Rohan Smith has coached him but would he even get a Visa having not played NRL for a couple of years?

I hope not anyway.

Wow,talking about backwards steps,where we waste quota spots on bang average forwards Leeds seem to do it with halfbacks.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Wow,talking about backwards steps,where we waste quota spots on bang average forwards Leeds seem to do it with halfbacks.

I can see the need to have an experienced half to help bring Sinfield through, but don’t think Roberts is the right one, we may as well keep Sezer

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Fev have signed Logan Astley on loan for a month from Wigan. Anyone one know much about him?.

He's never gonna let you down. :kolobok_wink:

• Haha 6

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Oh I agree on Havard,worryingly he’s often our only impact middle although Byrne & young Hill have gone up a notch or 2 recently.

I would say that, until his season was ended by that pointless thug from Saints, Cooper was our best prop.

I cannot fathom how anyone would choose Ellis as our best forward. Bang average at the very best.

Isa? Really? I must be watching from an alternative dimension to others posting on here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Is 1 really poor season followed by an improved one interrupted by a couple of bans really worthy of a new contract ? He’s using up up a quota spot,do we really need to waste them on run of the mill players (He’s hardly been our best player)or in the likes of Isa & Mago poor players ?

Getting rid of those 3 added to Singleton,Powell & possibly  the unfortunate Cooper should free up cap space to bring in 2 real quality props to add to Havard,Byrne & the improving Hill which could go somewhere to improving the glowing weakness that has held us back over the past few years.

Thanks for your reasons. Just saying get shut didn’t make much sense to me without context but I can at least admit the new ban, added to that one last season haven’t been ideal. I do think he’s worth a new deal and quite comfortably on this seasons form but his latest brain fade needs to be his last. It’s slim pickings down under when you look at the off contract list and I think it would be a mistake to release him, just as he’s settled and playing well. 

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

Tyrone Roberts linked with the Rhinos - bit leftfield that one, Rohan Smith has coached him but would he even get a Visa having not played NRL for a couple of years?

I hope not anyway.

I thought only wire do signing like this, he wasn't that great last time.

12 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

I would say that, until his season was ended by that pointless thug from Saints, Cooper was our best prop.

I cannot fathom how anyone would choose Ellis as our best forward. Bang average at the very best.

Isa? Really? I must be watching from an alternative dimension to others posting on here.

Nobody did choose Ellis as our best forward. Somebody (me) simply said he’s playing well and it’s been between him and Havard as our best prop over the course of the season. If he’s bang average looking at his output, I’ll have a couple more of him.

Isa I get, he wouldn’t get praised by certain Wigan fans regardless of what he produces. He’s been good when he’s played and we’ve missed him recently.

1 hour ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Fev have signed Logan Astley on loan for a month from Wigan. Anyone one know much about him?.

He’s only had a couple of first team opportunities in weakened teams, so it’s tough to judge him on those games. He looked a bit slight last year and a bit kick happy but I went to Whitehaven in pre season and he’s put some muscle on and he looked more comfortable. He was excellent that day. He’s a flair player, quick on his feet (and quick in general) and a good support player. He looked to do well at Oldham on loan last season and scored some impressive long range try’s. Looking forward to seeing how he goes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WN83 said:

I think this is spot on. Ellis has been quality this year and our best run of form coincided with him and Havard playing in outstanding form. Since then we've been missing at least one of them (except for 5 minutes against Wire) and our front row hasn't looked anywhere near as effective and our performances have dropped.

Given how difficult we've found it recruiting good props I think it would be crazy to get rid of one who is performing and roll the dice again. I thought Ellis was pretty good at the start of last season too, he just went under the radar a bit. Then he picked up a lengthy ban and had some injury issues and just wasn't the same in the second half of the year but this season he's been good. The club has stuck with Smithies and Singleton despite their tendency to pick up bans for acts of stupidity so there's no reason not to extend that tolerance to Ellis. I think on current form he deserves it.

4 hours ago, WN83 said:

Thanks for your reasons. Just saying get shut didn’t make much sense to me without context but I can at least admit the new ban, added to that one last season haven’t been ideal. I do think he’s worth a new deal and quite comfortably on this seasons form but his latest brain fade needs to be his last. It’s slim pickings down under when you look at the off contract list and I think it would be a mistake to release him, just as he’s settled and playing well. 

Fair enough,we’ll have to agree to disagree on Ellis.

5 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

We’ve certainly missed Cooper’s offloading skills.