The Transfer Rumour Mill Thread

11 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

"A little battered and bruised and extremely exhausted with rugby work and commitments I am able to remove myself from the Club and leave it in the capable hands of the remaining board of directors without owing anybody anything significant."

His own words, but yes it was probably a bargaining tool so I'm not getting in an argument over that or over Beaumont, I have been impressed with what he has done this year. I didn't bring his name up to have a pop at him, was just pointing out in response to Harry's comments that speculating to accumulate can leave clubs in a precarious financial decision.

Leigh were the only one to do it last season Phantom and consequently frightened every one else from doing so, I think if just one Championship team speculates as Leigh did no other club would follow, leaving the door open to much more income, I think it would be more of a calculated risk than a foolhardy one.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Leigh were the only one to do it last season Phantom and consequently frightened every one else from doing so, I think if just one Championship team speculates as Leigh did no other club would follow, leaving the door open to much more income, I think it would be more of a calculated risk than a foolhardy one.

Sorry Harry but this is just not correct imo. There were umpteen press releases last year about the supposed "signings war" between Fev and Leigh, Fev spent a huge amount by Championship standards last year and have spent a significant amount again this year.

Remember Championship teams only get in the region of 200k a year in central funding now, Fev's spending strongly suggests that they have "speculated" again but you can't be reckless and risk bankrupting the club. "Speculate to accumulate" is a very glib phrase that goes hand-in-hand with financial ruin.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Sorry Harry but this is just not correct imo. There were umpteen press releases last year about the supposed "signings war" between Fev and Leigh, Fev spent a huge amount by Championship standards last year and have spent a significant amount again this year.

Remember Championship teams only get in the region of 200k a year in central funding now, Fev's spending strongly suggests that they have "speculated" again but you can't be reckless and risk bankrupting the club. "Speculate to accumulate" is a very glib phrase that goes hand-in-hand with financial ruin.

Yeah i think you need serious backing to do what Leigh did last year and even then you need to make good choices on signings and also get a good amount of luck. Leigh got very lucky with the availability of John Asiata due to the mandatory Covid vaccines for NRL players, he'd still likely be playing for Brisbane were it not for that. There was also probably an element of right place/right time when it came to picking up Amone, Ipape and O'Donnell also that have all turned out to be amongst the better imports of SL this year - it's not exactly a template to follow to say 'go out and find 4/5 underrated gems from Oz'. For every Tom Amone there's probably 2 or 3 Nate Peteru's/Kane Evans' coming over. Leigh have certainly had more than our fair share of dud quota players

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Yeah i think you need serious backing to do what Leigh did last year and even then you need to make good choices on signings and also get a good amount of luck. Leigh got very lucky with the availability of John Asiata due to the mandatory Covid vaccines for NRL players, he'd still likely be playing for Brisbane were it not for that. There was also probably an element of right place/right time when it came to picking up Amone, Ipape and O'Donnell also that have all turned out to be amongst the better imports of SL this year - it's not exactly a template to follow to say 'go out and find 4/5 underrated gems from Oz'. For every Tom Amone there's probably 2 or 3 Nate Peteru's/Kane Evans' coming over. Leigh have certainly had more than our fair share of dud quota players

Agree 100% with this. Leigh's recruitment last year was tremendous, as you point out there was probably a bit of luck involved and right place/right time but as you say rightly say it wouldn't be easy to replicate. Just look at Wakefield with Atoni and Proctor.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

The Mocks come this season, and the official ones at the end of '24.

I am under the impression that being in SL will be more of an advantage than being in the Championship (unless there are unwritten points for potential) in the final gradings, the poison chalice will be spending on a team and not gaining promotion.

Yeah I agree, that makes promotion this year huge then. Im sure a few of the Championship teams have eyes on that especially as like you say, I imagine actually been in SL will be a huge edge especially in the first season.

21 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

I wish Fordy well, left with immediate effect and not a word of thanks or acknowledgment from Wakey. Whatever the circumstances I still think this is a bit of bad form from our lot. 

Statement from Wakey

“The club very recently became aware that James had agreed to join Featherstone Rovers for the 2024 season and after considering all the circumstances, we have agreed with James that he should leave with immediate effect. 

5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Agree 100% with this. Leigh's recruitment last year was tremendous, as you point out there was probably a bit of luck involved and right place/right time but as you say rightly say it wouldn't be easy to replicate. Just look at Wakefield with Atoni and Proctor.

Perhaps Mr Lam's little black book, respect and contacts was also a telling factor, don't forget it was also he who brought over French and Field.

11 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Good signing for us. Stay classy Sheffield. 🤣

On the face of it that's bush league from Sheffield. Announce he's moving on if you must but what reason is there to announce the club he's going to other than sour grapes to steal their thunder?

Good signing for Fax, he's an improved player.

29 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

On the face of it that's bush league from Sheffield. Announce he's moving on if you must but what reason is there to announce the club he's going to other than sour grapes to steal their thunder?

Good signing for Fax, he's an improved player.

Seems little point in even announcing that he is moving on, he won't be the only player from there that has signed somewhere else but Aston holds Fax in a special place in his heart. The player must be disappointed they have done that as well and if I were Fax I would be pushing for an early release.

32 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Seems little point in even announcing that he is moving on, he won't be the only player from there that has signed somewhere else but Aston holds Fax in a special place in his heart. The player must be disappointed they have done that as well and if I were Fax I would be pushing for an early release.

What's the history there then? I checked back and Fax announced Gwaze was leaving before Sheffield announced they had signed him, but that was after the season had finished and more importantly Fax didn't say where he was going, exactly the same with Cory Aston. So it can't be that.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

What's the history there then? I checked back and Fax announced Gwaze was leaving before Sheffield announced they had signed him, but that was after the season had finished and more importantly Fax didn't say where he was going, exactly the same with Cory Aston. So it can't be that.

Probably goes back to the Sam Barlow 'transfer'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

It dates back over 10 years to an argument over Sam barlow. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/9001331.stm

Since then Aston has never missed an opportunity to make snide or sly comments regarding the integrity of our club and fans only last season calling us snakes in an interview after our away game against them after we had recalled Corey Aston from them to play in the game against them and he basically won us the game. 

From 35s in on this video :- 

This season from 3.15 in on the video:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ti3-FwNWj4

Good coach, petty human being.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I think the history is that in the main Mark Aston is a bit of a prat. 

Edited by Wakey Til I Die
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

According to Matt Shaw 

Daniel Smith's Castleford Tigers career appears to be coming to an end. Rugby League Live understands the ball-playing forward is expected to complete a permanent move to Championship outfit Featherstone Rovers, with his time at the Jungle set to end.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, POR said:

According to Matt Shaw 

Daniel Smith's Castleford Tigers career appears to be coming to an end. Rugby League Live understands the ball-playing forward is expected to complete a permanent move to Championship outfit Featherstone Rovers, with his time at the Jungle set to end.

Good signing for Fev that. Looks like Cas bringing the wage bill down with little chance of relegation this season.

• Like 1

On 20/05/2023 at 10:03, The Blues Ox said:

Matt Shaw has now written about the Fax/Sheffield relationship. We all know he's a Fax fan but unlike certain other "journalists" he doesn't tend to let that impact his reporting and I think this is a legitimate interest story
https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/sheffield-eagles-departure-star-player-26964285

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Matt Shaw has now written about the Fax/Sheffield relationship. We all know he's a Fax fan but unlike certain other "journalists" he doesn't tend to let that impact his reporting and I think this is a legitimate interest story
https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/sheffield-eagles-departure-star-player-26964285

I can only imagine that Aston is gutted that Douglas has decided to leave which has allowed him to have this type of response but from the players persepctive I imagine he is a little dirty on his current coach for what he has done. I do find it kind of funny that we are living rent free in Aston's head and really looking forward to when we play them again this season now.

• Like 1

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-news/hull-kr-transfer-tyler-dupree-8459547

Tyler Dupree has apparently handed a formal transfer request in at SRD

edit - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/65674364

Now confirmed by Salford and they've denied his request, not sure how well it's going to go trying to keep him til end of 2025 if he wants to leave though, they'd be far better off taking the 6-figure offer from Hull KR and using it to find a replacement.

Edited by LeytherRob