The Transfer Rumour Mill Thread

2 minutes ago, binosh said:

Frankie Halton to Leigh immediately?

Apparently  Halton's plea for an early release to return closer to home has been granted and he will link up with the team where it all began

20 hours ago, Trojan Horse said:

Eseh is a hugely promising young prop and I’m glad we have him. Whatever league we are in 2024 I hope he’s one of the first to stay with us. I think he’s under contract till end of 2024.

There's usually some form of 'Relegation" clause in most players contracts and its likely to say that in the event of the club being relegated the player is either free to leave or the club must honour the contract in full (is. still pay the player their full SL wage) 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

47 minutes ago, binosh said:

Frankie Halton to Leigh immediately?

It's looking like an official announcement coming at 10am, if true a cracking signing and really strengthens an area we have very little cover with Hughes and Wardle out long term

• Like 2

18 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Fev will have to do what Leigh did and use a high proportion of quota spots on the pack(particularly prop forward), there just doesn't seem to be enough good British props to go around currently unless you are Huddersfield who have probably twice as many experienced props as any other team this year. Have Fev confirmed yet if they are going to go full time next year if promoted? I know a couple of years ago MC was suggesting they might try to keep a hybrid of FT and PT if they were promoted.

I don't think Fev have made a public pronouncement about going full time if they reach SL but I think the club seems to be a bit further forward in that respect than a couple of years ago. MC has always said Fev would spend full cap if we got promoted though.

However, there have been very few teams in the Championship in recent years (Toronto being the exception) who have been in a financial position to sign genuine SL-quality players well before promotion was assured, as was the case with Leigh last season. For many years this has been a major flaw of the current P & R system (ie you don't know if you're going to be promoted until October yet player contract negotiations opens in May) and it has only got worse since there was the swingeing cuts to central funding for Championship clubs a couple of years ago.

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

When do the new IMG rankings come in? Is it after next season? If so then just getting up this year would likely be enough, if its the season after then this year could be the poisoned chalice.

The Mocks come this season, and the official ones at the end of '24.

I am under the impression that being in SL will be more of an advantage than being in the Championship (unless there are unwritten points for potential) in the final gradings, the poison chalice will be spending on a team and not gaining promotion.

43 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

It's looking like an official announcement coming at 10am, if true a cracking signing and really strengthens an area we have very little cover with Hughes and Wardle out long term

Welcome home to a Leigh lad, if not mistaken he will be the only Leyther in the squad, always impresses when I have watched him play. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I don't think Fev have made a public pronouncement about going full time if they reach SL but I think the club seems to be a bit further forward in that respect than a couple of years ago. MC has always said Fev would spend full cap if we got promoted though.

However, there have been very few teams in the Championship in recent years (Toronto being the exception) who have been in a financial position to sign genuine SL-quality players well before promotion was assured, as was the case with Leigh last season. For many years this has been a major flaw of the current P & R system (ie you don't know if you're going to be promoted until October yet player contract negotiations opens in May) and it has only got worse since there was the swingeing cuts to central funding for Championship clubs a couple of years ago.

If MC can afford to he should do it now, not wait untill he has the SL funding in his wallet, it is common knowledge that members of your pack were playing before the Second World War ended and will be no use whatsoever in SL, MC should do a Beaumont and go down under and recruit some now and have them playing together before next season comes along, this has been Leigh's strength this season.

It is the old mantra of Speculating to Accumulate.

I get the impression that some Fev fans are wary that Sheffield, Fax, Batley and Toulouse could come along and burst your bubble in the play-offs, and that is with the present squads, If any of those teams recruited 3 or 4 'better' player's they could very well bring that scenario to reality, In fact any of those teams and including Fev really are that ambitious and want to be promoted should show their intention and recruit now, if they don't I think they are sending out a clear message that they are happy to remain in the Championship and most probably miss out on what will become a 'closed shop' by any other name.

Mr Beaumont set a plan in motion and stuck to it, had it backfired he would have been quids out if pocket.

28 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

If MC can afford to he should do it now, not wait untill he has the SL funding in his wallet, it is common knowledge that members of your pack were playing before the Second World War ended and will be no use whatsoever in SL, MC should do a Beaumont and go down under and recruit some now and have them playing together before next season comes along, this has been Leigh's strength this season.

It is the old mantra of Speculating to Accumulate.

Beaumont has more money. It's all well and good advocating spending money that you don't have, but Beaumont briefly walked away from Leigh a few years ago when some "unforseeable circumstances" (not making the play-offs) happened.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Beaumont has more money. It's all well and good advocating spending money that you don't have, but Beaumont briefly walked away from Leigh a few years ago when some "unforseeable circumstances" (not making the play-offs) happened.

He did a podcast about that, quite a smart move.

Edited by binosh

58 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I would have walked away to - albeit he went nowhere, just threatened - with the attitude of some of the shower of brown stuff he was paying good money to.

Yes he most probably has more money, but as I said spending a little more in addition to what you have already invested could result in a very good payback, if you fail without any additional spend, it could be tantamount to having wasted what has already been spent, and being in SL next term will give you more of a chance of remaining there than trying to get in from the outside once this IMG thingy kicks in.

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Don’t you have to be full time in SL?

If a club can’t be a full time outfit they shouldn’t be in SL.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Any club that isn't full time in SL would not last long in SL, rules that say a club should be full time need not be made the inevitable would happen very quickly.

8 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I'd be fully in favour of that being added to the minimum standards.

I'd be even more in favour of existing minimum standards being enforced, which they haven't been for the last 25 years.

• Like 3

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Any club that isn't full time in SL would not last long in SL, rules that say a club should be full time need not be made the inevitable would happen very quickly.

So why waste everyone’s time in the first place, SL=Full Time, can’t do that you’re not in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

He didn't walk away, he 'threatened' to which IMO was a great bargaining tool to bring closure to the remaining contracts still negotiating settlement.

10 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

He didn't walk away, he 'threatened' to which IMO was a great bargaining tool to bring closure to the remaining contracts still negotiating settlement.

"A little battered and bruised and extremely exhausted with rugby work and commitments I am able to remove myself from the Club and leave it in the capable hands of the remaining board of directors without owing anybody anything significant."

His own words, but yes it was probably a bargaining tool so I'm not getting in an argument over that or over Beaumont, I have been impressed with what he has done this year. I didn't bring his name up to have a pop at him, was just pointing out in response to Harry's comments that speculating to accumulate can leave clubs in a precarious financial decision.

• Like 1