Sun 21 Aug: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

1 hour ago, welshmagpie said:

They often avoid showing the crowd in their social media videos for that very reason I imagine.

Its a real shame, the poor decisions and poor start of the club have wiped even more fans of their ‘regular attendee’ list. Their form is red hot currently and deserving of better as is their media output which is vastly improved due to the excellent Jake Watson and co

Like I say the stands had a lot more than is shown in the video...a good game yesterday and lots of happy fans at the end 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Is that York,the home of a Championship club equivalent of West Wales Raiders?

Ludicrous comment. West Wales aren't going to be finishing in the play-offs, are they?

It's a terrible result but at least it has given a few people a good laugh.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Thats the task for anyone trying to get to the final. I think out of the teams 3-6 we will have the best chance.  Its going to be interesting if we beat Bradford next week, the team we put out against Widnes and Fev. I would imagine full team against Widnes then rest a load against Fev. We have been lucky with injuries and suspensions and way games have fallen has given us a really good chance to keep our squad fresh and in that regard other teams around us are struggling.

😮 Fax have been lucky with injuries and suspensions 🤔 I presume you mean lucky that they are all clearing up as the play offs approach?

1 hour ago, wilsontown said:

Ludicrous comment. West Wales aren't going to be finishing in the play-offs, are they?

It's a terrible result but at least it has given a few people a good laugh.

I can't see owt funny about that score.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

😮 Fax have been lucky with injuries and suspensions 🤔 I presume you mean lucky that they are all clearing up as the play offs approach?

Exactly, as Grix mentioned in his interview after yesterdays game, we are in a really good position in that we are at the end of the season with a just about full strength squad which gives us plenty of competition for places which most teams don't seem to have at this point. Off the top of my head it looked like we were able to rest 4 first choice players yesterday and with both Gee and Gwaze back in the next couple of weeks that will be like 2 new signings and I think Tibbs is the only player who won't play again this season. 

Im not sure how the play offs work but Im asuming they start the week straight after the last game? If thats the case I can see us resting all key players for the Fev game as we don't want to play that game and then risk been tired going in to the first game of the playoffs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Exactly, as Grix mentioned in his interview after yesterdays game, we are in a really good position in that we are at the end of the season with a just about full strength squad which gives us plenty of competition for places which most teams don't seem to have at this point. Off the top of my head it looked like we were able to rest 4 first choice players yesterday and with both Gee and Gwaze back in the next couple of weeks that will be like 2 new signings and I think Tibbs is the only player who won't play again this season. 

Im not sure how the play offs work but Im asuming they start the week straight after the last game? If thats the case I can see us resting all key players for the Fev game as we don't want to play that game and then risk been tired going in to the first game of the playoffs.

Aye, in a peculiar way Mr Ford at York has given us an end of season boost. I just hope he gets his deserved retribution from Fax in the play offs❗😅

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

Aye, in a peculiar way Mr Ford at York has given us an end of season boost. I just hope he gets his deserved retribution from Fax in the play offs❗😅

Fun fact for you. When Halifax played York last month, not a single one of their bans came from a club citing.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Right here in black & white...

How does the process work? Do the refs go back through the video after the game and can pick out incidents? I only ask because 3 of the incidents did not result in penalties and I have not heard of refs been able to go back through aftewards and pick out things that happened.

After watching the highlights of the Leigh v York game. There's no doubting that Leigh are a very fit team, to be able to push up and support the ball carrier aligned with the ball skills of the players make Leigh a very formidable team. They haven't just done this to York, but to the majority of opposition they've played this season.

1 hour ago, wasginger said:

After watching the highlights of the Leigh v York game. There's no doubting that Leigh are a very fit team, to be able to push up and support the ball carrier aligned with the ball skills of the players make Leigh a very formidable team. They haven't just done this to York, but to the majority of opposition they've played this season.

Lam Junior is getting into his stride now ( it helps when the game is effectively won ) with his footwork at the line , and the others are getting used to him as well 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

How does the process work? Do the refs go back through the video after the game and can pick out incidents? I only ask because 3 of the incidents did not result in penalties and I have not heard of refs been able to go back through aftewards and pick out things that happened.

Part of the problem is that there doesn't seem to be a straightforward way of navigating to the Match Review Panel minutes, other than hoping the RFL put a link to them on Twitter (sometimes they do, sometimes they don't). It would be helpful if these were more readily accessible to stop the accusations about multiple citings etc.

I know that unlike SL, games in Championship/L1 aren't reviewed by a member of the MRP and I think you must be right about the referees going back to watch the video because as you say the ref in that Fax/York game missed three of those incidents (to be fair all three were fairly mild late pushes that wouldn't have caused much attention to prior to this season, but they are all penalties and a one-game ban as the game is being officiated now, the only bad one was the one the ref spotted by Gee on O'Hagan which he got the grade D assessment for).

The one thing I would say is do the refs feel under more pressure to go back and review incidents which occurred in televised games? After all in non-televised games, if a MRP member isn't reviewing them it must be tempting just to ignore any late tackles etc that they missed.

It's noticeable that a large proportion of the incidents reviewed in Championship/L1 each week are made up of the red/yellow card incidents - so every week they dutifully release that player x who was sin binned for holding down isn't getting a ban. It would be interesting to know the number of post-video reports by the ref in non-televised games compared to televised ones.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Part of the problem is that there doesn't seem to be a straightforward way of navigating to the Match Review Panel minutes, other than hoping the RFL put a link to them on Twitter (sometimes they do, sometimes they don't). It would be helpful if these were more readily accessible to stop the accusations about multiple citings etc.

I know that unlike SL, games in Championship/L1 aren't reviewed by a member of the MRP and I think you must be right about the referees going back to watch the video because as you say the ref in that Fax/York game missed three of those incidents (to be fair all three were fairly mild late pushes that wouldn't have caused much attention to prior to this season, but they are all penalties and a one-game ban as the game is being officiated now, the only bad one was the one the ref spotted by Gee on O'Hagan which he got the grade D assessment for).

The one thing I would say is do the refs feel under more pressure to go back and review incidents which occurred in televised games? After all in non-televised games, if a MRP member isn't reviewing them it must be tempting just to ignore any late tackles etc that they missed.

It's noticeable that a large proportion of the incidents reviewed in Championship/L1 each week are made up of the red/yellow card incidents - so every week they dutifully release that player x who was sin binned for holding down isn't getting a ban. It would be interesting to know the number of post-video reports by the ref in non-televised games compared to televised ones.

I actually emailed the rfl regarding the potential disparity in disciplinary cases between televised and non televised games but just received this generic answer 

‘Each case is dealt with on an individual basis, regardless of whether its televised or not.’

So none the wiser .

1. As a customer

1 hour ago, Rockingchair said:

I actually emailed the rfl regarding the potential disparity in disciplinary cases between televised and non televised games but just received this generic answer 

‘Each case is dealt with on an individual basis, regardless of whether its televised or not.’

So none the wiser .

1. As a customer

You actually received a reply? That's good then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1