Toulouse out of pocket again

5 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

The list of clubs shafted by SL, and financially handicapped in one way or another is depressing. But worth repeating...

Paris SG

Gateshead

Toronto

Catalan

Toulouse

Bradford

And people wonder why TV and sponsors are losing interest.

... But hold on! What's this? It's Leigh riding to SL's rescue...

You missed out Celtic Crusaders 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

Toulouse and Catalans have been taking over £1.5 million of the UK TV money without providing a single subscriber so they are still well in pocket.

Let them keep anything they can get from a French TV deal let the UK clubs keep the UK TV money and then I'm sure nobody will mind paying their own fares to France.

Have Toulouse been getting that?

Catalan fund TV coverage that is widely shown on Sky. I'd say that is contributing to the TV offering that subscribers pay for.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

Toulouse and Catalans have been taking over £1.5 million of the UK TV money without providing a single subscriber so they are still well in pocket.

Let them keep anything they can get from a French TV deal let the UK clubs keep the UK TV money and then I'm sure nobody will mind paying their own fares to France.

How many Sky subscriptions rely on Hull KR being in SL? Would you say it's more or less than £1.5m per annum worth? 

If you're using that as your measure of contribution, you ought to apply it to every club. I doubt many would show up as offering more than they take. 

It's also worth reminding people (because this point always seems to get ignored) that it is not the responsibility of Catalans or Toulouse to source broadcast and commercial deals - it's the responsibility of SLE. Unfortunately, SLE seems happy to neglect and delegate that responsibility.

Edited by whatmichaelsays
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

There's a lot of noises coming out of Toulouse right now which I see as groundwork to get some kind of reprieve.

This is very much, "we're not going anywhere and you're going to make us burn through a lot of cash by relegating us".

The story the other day was their presence in SL had brought forward the possibility of a French TV deal, it's all very nudge-nudge. 

OK then to late to increase the SL numbers and SL clubs would not share the funding any further, tell you what shall we just abolish promotion from the Championship to appease Toulouse, and as far as the TV deal is concerned it is doubtful the market in France for Rugby League is big enough to entice any broadcaster to invest either FTA or Pay to view.

41 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

The list of clubs shafted by SL, and financially handicapped in one way or another is depressing. But worth repeating...

Paris SG

Gateshead

Toronto

Catalan

Toulouse

Bradford

You forgot London and Sheffield 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

IMG wont throw them out But clubs wont want to lock french teams in.  So a 14 team league seems the compromise.  

There is no compromise on anything Salop, IMG have been invited to offer solutions to improve the games standing to the paying public so if SL don't want any recommendations they just throw them out.

38 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

How many Sky subscriptions rely on Hull KR being in SL? Would you say it's more or less than £1.5m per annum worth? 

If you're using that as your measure of contribution, you ought to apply it to every club. I doubt many would show up as offering more than they take. 

It's also worth reminding people (because this point always seems to get ignored) that it is not the responsibility of Catalans or Toulouse to source broadcast and commercial deals - it's the responsibility of SLE. Unfortunately, SLE seems happy to neglect and delegate that responsibility.

None SKY subscriptions are essentially all taken for football 

55 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

You missed out Celtic Crusaders 

I thought they had been bent over, but I couldn't recall quite how and by how much.

19 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

You forgot London and Sheffield 

As above, although London were always rumoured to have been net beneficiaries.

2 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Which makes the whole "they don't bring any subscribers" thing pretty damn stupid and anyone making that point, be they fan or club owner, should have that pointed out to them. 

Quite possibly true 

57 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Paris SG

Gateshead

Toronto

Catalan

Toulouse

Bradford

Go on then outline how each of those clubs have been shafted, and as far as Leigh is concerned I just love how it aggravates some of the Rugby League fraternity, may they go from strength to strength and keep the aggravation and heartache up for years to come by taking the place of some much more deserving clubs.🙋‍♂️

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Which makes the whole "they don't bring any subscribers" thing pretty damn stupid and anyone making that point, be they fan or club owner, should have that pointed out to them. 

Not like you yo miss out that Sky make revenue from the advertisers that are pointed at the British market.

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Until you can subscribe to just RL , or anything else without football , it is 

I assume that you are talking about where the subscription money goes, rather than whether people are subscribing to watch sports other than football? In which case, fair enough.

But the metric that relates to this conversation is viewers rather subscribers. And I doubt there’ll be many viewers of Sky UK that are primarily Toulouse fans. But at the same time, it shouldn’t be up to an individual club to sell broadcast rights for in France. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

Paris SG

Gateshead

Toronto

Catalan

Toulouse

Bradford

Because Leigh got a great financial deal from Super League last year.

47 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Go on then outline how each of those clubs have been shafted, and as far as Leigh is concerned I just love how it aggravates some of the Rugby League fraternity, may they go from strength to strength and keep the aggravation and heartache up for years to come by taking the place of some much more deserving clubs.🙋‍♂️

Basically because they were all either given a reduced share of Sky money compared to the other clubs, or because they were 'fined' and proceeds shared amongst the other clubs ... or they've been given onerous other obligations (such as funding visiting travel).

Good luck with Leigh in SL. A tiny club in an anonymous small town you can't even get to on the train. If you ever wonder why RL struggles for sponsorship, wider-interest, TV money... think Leigh. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Will there ever be a thread on this forum that DOESN'T end up being about Leigh?

True. But Leigh being at the top table goes a long way towards explaining and understanding RL's issues in 2022 and beyond.

The rest of the sporting world is expanding, yet many in our sport are happy for RL to be a suburb of Wigan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not like you yo miss out that Sky make revenue from the advertisers that are pointed at the British market.

I missed it out because I'm not sure how relevant it is to this discussion. Sky wrap advertising around Catalans and Toulouse content and probably charge a similar rate for the advertising around content involving most clubs. It's not as if RL content across the board pulls in prime audiences. 

7 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

True. But Leigh being at the top table goes a long way towards explaining and understanding RL's issues in 2022 and beyond.

The rest of the sporting world is expanding, yet many in our sport are happy for RL to be a suburb of Wigan.

Never known a fan base of a sport look down their noses at it’s communities quite like rugby league fans do. 

• Like 3

Basically because they were all either given a reduced share of Sky money compared to the other clubs, or because they were 'fined' and proceeds shared amongst the other clubs ... or they've been given onerous other obligations (such as funding visiting travel).

Good luck with Leigh in SL. A tiny club in an anonymous small town you can't even get to on the train. If you ever wonder why RL struggles for sponsorship, wider-interest, TV money... think Leigh. 

Some were given none of the Sky money, I'm pretty that was how Gateshead was treated.

• Like 1

And Wigan in turn is almost certainly not what the average Brit would think of as a major league sports town, i.e. a place where big time major pro sport is normally played.

• Confused 1