Toulouse out of pocket again

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not like you yo miss out that Sky make revenue from the advertisers that are pointed at the British market.

Bachelor's mushy peas are advertised in the Toulouse match day programme, I wonder how much revenue they make and what target audience they are aiming for. Advertisers need to expand their market to the maximum.

22 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

And Wigan in turn is almost certainly not what the average Brit would think of as a major league sports town, i.e. a place where big time major pro sport is normally played.

And you obviously haven’t a clue what the average “Brit” thinks

56 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

And you obviously haven’t a clue what the average “Brit” thinks

Is that so?  Unless I'm mistaken the only other pro sport in Wigan is soccer, and though the soccer club was in the Premier League once that was some years ago now and in recent seasons they've bounced back and forth between the second and third tiers of English soccer.

Does that really sound like the sort of place a typical Brit would think big time major pro sport is usually played?

Edited by Big Picture
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

This totally sucks and makes my blood boil, Toulouse should be paying ZERO if clubs cannot afford a simple 2 trips to France every year they really should not be in business.

Paul

This presents perhaps as a sad reality. That the competition is essentially a (northern) English tournament with a couple of Gallic add ons.

Add on the often "curious" refereeing decisions (especially last year's GF), the insular thinking at Leigh and Huddersfield and the apparent inaction of the SLE to secure continental TV monies and it does feel somewhat less than integrated.

Yeah annoying.

3 hours ago, Number 16 said:

True. But Leigh being at the top table goes a long way towards explaining and understanding RL's issues in 2022 and beyond.

The rest of the sporting world is expanding, yet many in our sport are happy for RL to be a suburb of Wigan.

My not be for long, there is a big campaign going on for Lexit, Leigh's exit from Wigan, backed by the next PM Liz Truss.

Sorry for the digression, but considering it keeps being brought up on here I thought I would stick it in.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

My not be for long, there is a big campaign going on for Lexit, Leigh's exit from Wigan, backed by the next PM Liz Truss.

Sorry for the digression, but considering it keeps being brought up on here I thought I would stick it in.

Can you please write that in understandable English.

Ta

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

This presents perhaps as a sad reality. That the competition is essentially a (northern) English tournament with a couple of Gallic add ons.

Add on the often "curious" refereeing decisions (especially last year's GF), the insular thinking at Leigh and Huddersfield and the apparent inaction of the SLE to secure continental TV monies and it does feel somewhat less than integrated.

Yeah annoying.

Can you explain our ' insular thinking ' ? 

I haven't read the whole thread, it's been done a thousand times. 

But one question -  why do people think Toulouse continue to pay this?

Quite simply because it is beneficial for them to do so.  

So let's not feel too sorry for them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Super League is ultimately beneficial to them, and the way to get there is currently only through the Championship (and League 1).

That doesn't make that a sensible or best utilisation of resources by the sport as a whole.

2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Is that so?  Unless I'm mistaken the only other pro sport in Wigan is soccer, and though the soccer club was in the Premier League once that was some years ago now and in recent seasons they've bounced back and forth between the second and third tiers of English soccer.

Does that really sound like the sort of place a typical Brit would think big time major pro sport is usually played?

The fact you quote soccer shows how clueless you are when it comes to sport in this country & I think you’ll find the average “Brit” does identify Wigan mainly by its famous RL club but also the football team after spending 8 seasons in the highest profile leagues in world sport & winning the FA Cup 9 yrs ago.

I won’t derail this thread anymore by trying to educate a Canadia who has no grasp of sport in this country and an obvious dislike of RL.

Edited by Davo5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Why does a so called elite league insist on a newly promoted team forking out a large amount of money for so called elite teams travel costs ?

I’d say it’s reasonable to feel sorry for Toulouse just as it was for Leigh last year,another victim of the pathetic shortsightedness that blights the sport.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

The fact you quote soccer shows how clueless you are when it comes to sport in this country & I think you’ll find the average “Brit” does identify Wigan mainly by its famous RL club but also the football team after spending 8 seasons in the highest profile leagues in world sport & winning the FA Cup 9 yrs ago.

I won’t derail this thread anymore by trying to educate a Canadia who has no grasp of sport in this country and an obvious dislike of RL.

You're very mistaken about me and what I think of RL.  It is (or at least before various rule changes made it a shadow of what it used to be) the best game in the world and I hate seeing it struggle like it does.  And as I have British heritage I do know quite a bit about sport in Britain.

I didn't say that the average Brit doesn't know Wigan, I'm sure that quite a good number remember their Challenge Cup wins of yesteryear.  That doesn't necessarily mean that he/she would consider it the sort of place where big time major pro sport is played, any more than he/she would put Southampton or Ipswich — two other places with one FA Cup win to their name — in that category.

That said, Southampton has three times as many seasons in the Premier League as Wigan Athletic so it does have a stronger claim to the status of big time major pro sports town than Wigan does.  If Southampton had one of the top teams in a regional southern sport where their main rival was somewhere like Bournemouth or Brighton, would that impress you much or would you dismiss it instead?

Outsiders who know a lot about Wigan will probably be a minority, but they'll likely know that it's a smallish place and conclude that if a place like that can have one of the top teams in a sport year after year, that sport must in fact be the sort of small regional game which its detractors say it is.  And as long as we're talking about Wigan, Shaun Edwards saying three years ago that going to coach them would involve a "financial risk" for him was very telling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Big Picture said:

You're very mistaken about me and what I think of RL.  It is (or at least before various rule changes made it a shadow of what it used to be) the best game in the world and I hate seeing it struggle like it does.  And as I have British heritage I do know quite a bit about sport in Britain.

I didn't say that the average Brit doesn't know Wigan, I'm sure that quite a good number remember their Challenge Cup wins of yesteryear.  That doesn't necessarily mean that he/she would consider it the sort of place where big time major pro sport is played, any more than he/she would put Southampton or Ipswich — two other places with one FA Cup win to their name — in that category.

That said, Southampton has three times as many seasons in the Premier League as Wigan Athletic so it does have a stronger claim to the status of big time major pro sports town than Wigan does.  If Southampton had one of the top teams in a regional southern sport where their main rival was somewhere like Bournemouth or Brighton, would that impress you much or would you dismiss it instead?

Outsiders who know a lot about Wigan will probably be a minority, but they'll likely know that it's a smallish place and conclude that if a place like that can have one of the top teams in a sport year after year, that sport must in fact be the sort of small regional game which its detractors say it is.  And as long as we're talking about Wigan, Shaun Edwards saying three years ago that going to coach them would involve a "financial risk" for him was very telling.

I agree Southampton is a large sports city. It is also famous for cricket as it has a test ground. 

It is probably more well known than Wigan because it is the largest city in the region. And also a large port.

Whereas Wigan is in between Liverpool and Manchester.

However, rugby league is not really well known on the South Coast. Union isn't that popular either. Speedway is more popular and Poole Pirates, who I like, have been very successful. 

Therefore, even if we accept Southampton as more cosmopolitan than Wigan, it is no use to us as there are no fans there. 

Of course football is the most popular sport with 3 premier league South Coast teams. 

21 minutes ago, Niels said:

I agree Southampton is a large sports city. It is also famous for cricket as it has a test ground. 

It is probably more well known than Wigan because it is the largest city in the region. And also a large port.

Whereas Wigan is in between Liverpool and Manchester.

However, rugby league is not really well known on the South Coast. Union isn't that popular either. Speedway is more popular and Poole Pirates, who I like, have been very successful. 

Therefore, even if we accept Southampton as more cosmopolitan than Wigan, it is no use to us as there are no fans there. 

Of course football is the most popular sport with 3 premier league South Coast teams. 

Southampton is more of a big time sports town than Wigan, but it too isn't a place which would get outsiders interested in a regional sport based down there and that was the point I was illustrating.  For RL's problems to be solved it needs something which can do that and expand its fan base.

Edited by Big Picture
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Attendances rising, League become more popular, More top players with nrl experience in the league, etc

Have you got the attendance stats for elite 1 over the last few years? I have looked a number of times but can never find anything, would be really interested to see them. 

29 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Have you got the attendance stats for elite 1 over the last few years? I have looked a number of times but can never find anything, would be really interested to see them. 

No But when watching game highlights you can tell there are usually 750 - 2000 of people there. Not sure of exact numbers but that would be my guess.

7 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

No But when watching game highlights you can tell there are usually 750 - 2000 of people there. Not sure of exact numbers but that would be my guess.

Would be interesting to know if that’s correct, because the French residents on this forum usually say they’re much less. Maybe a couple of clubs average over 1000 but some are less than 500. Either way that wouldn’t be much in the championship.