Thorman gone

anok4u

10 minutes ago, town2018 said:

Personally think it is a very good move I think we have played the worst rugby this club have played for alot off years yeah we gained promotion but last year league 1 was half the league it was this year 

Personally think the right man for the job off rebuilding this club left the club a couple month ago in Gary Hewer has a really good relationship with the locals coached the best amateur talents on Barla tours so alot off local lads may stay or be attracted to the club because off gary 

no way marra, needs a complete clean sweep 

26 minutes ago, town2018 said:

Personally think it is a very good move I think we have played the worst rugby this club have played for alot off years yeah we gained promotion but last year league 1 was half the league it was this year 

Personally think the right man for the job off rebuilding this club left the club a couple month ago in Gary Hewer has a really good relationship with the locals coached the best amateur talents on Barla tours so alot off local lads may stay or be attracted to the club because off gary 

I would give him a go also, couldn't really understand stand why Gary was the only one to lose his job when the hit it the fan..

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

28 minutes ago, town2018 said:

Think Gary would be a good option. Locally bar Rooney I can't think of anyone else and would Rooney want the challenge? Crack last time was he wanted too much coin which Town don't have at the moment.

Very sad to see Chris leave. He done a great job rebuilding with a young squad who were playing entertaining rugby in the first couple of years. I was delighted we got promoted last year and the performance and victory in last year's final will live long in the memory. Unfortunately it was a seaso n too early for the club, we didn't have board or the money to back Chris at the end of last season when we needed to strengthen. I only met Chris a couple of times, he was a very amiable guy and the hours he put in at the club were beyond the call of duty. I wish him well for the future and I hope most Townies remember the great things he done and not the disastrous season we've just had. All the best Chris, and Than you.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Think Gary would be a good option. Locally bar Rooney I can't think of anyone else and would Rooney want the challenge? Crack last time was he wanted too much coin which Town don't have at the moment.

Yeah but with Gary already been in the positions he has he may still have alot off contacts within the clubs 

Think it's probably the right time for Chris to move on. He deserves our thanks for a very memorable year culminating in a home play off game that we will probably never see the like of again. He always spoke well and had us all eating out of the palm of his hand at times.

But for whatever the reasons are this season has been an almost complete disaster. A lot of it was nothing to do with Chris but he was still in the eye of the storm dealing with the fall out of it all, which he has done with dignity throughout. 

Having said all that at times I've been left completely baffled by some of the selections and tactics throughout this season. For a bloke who puts a lot of detailed preparation in and studies opposition prior to games I really struggled to understand what we were trying to do at times. I won't go into the stuff that has been said a thousand times before, but his unwavering belief that our style of play would work probably finished us well before relegation was confirmed as we have had the bluntest attack and worst defence all season, yet still to me we played more or less the same way believing in the low mistake low risk approach no matter what the scoreboard says . Is that not exactly what Einstein's definition of insanity is? It's  been disappointing that we didn't try anything remotely risky to try and sharpen our attacking threat and just meekly accepted our fate.

It's easy to pull the bloke apart from the stands, and to me he doesn't deserve that. Thanks for the memories of last season Chis and good luck for the future marra. UTT 

Edited by The Voodooguru
  • Like 6

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

13 minutes ago, The Voodooguru said:

Think it's probably the right time for Chris to move on. He deserves our thanks for a very memorable year culminating in a home play off game that we will probably never see the like of again. He always spoke well and had us all eating out of the palm of his hand at times.

But for whatever the reasons are this season has been an almost complete disaster. A lot of it was nothing to do with Chris but he was still in the eye of the storm dealing with the fall out of it all, which he has done with dignity throughout. 

Having said all that at times I've been left completely baffled by some of the selections and tactics throughout this season. For a bloke who puts a lot of detailed preparation in and studies opposition prior to games I really struggled to understand what we were trying to do at times. I won't go into the stuff that has been said a thousand times before, but his unwavering belief that our style of play would work probably finished us well before relegation was confirmed as we have had the bluntest attack and worst defence all season, yet still to me played more or less the same way believing in the low mistake low risk approach no matter what the scoreboard says . Is that not exactly what Einstein's definition of insanity is? It's  been disappointing that we didn't try anything remotely risky to try and sharpen our attacking threat and just meekly accepted our fate.

It's easy to pull the bloke apart from the stands, and to me he doesn't deserve that. Thanks for the memories of last season Chis and good luck for the future marra. UTT 

He's not solely to blame, the BOD and players a long hard look at themselves. The man management claim is probably by players who spat the dummy out through not being picked. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Brookie said:

He's not solely to blame, the BOD and players a long hard look at themselves. The man management claim is probably by players who spat the dummy out through not being picked. 

Why are you quoting me here Brookie? At no point did I say he was solely to blame, in fact in my second paragraph I point out that much of it was out of his hands. I also never mentioned his man management.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

4 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Good Luck to the guy at Newcastle, but I don’t get the ‘love in’ with him on this forum and especially Twitter !

we have been bloody awful all season, one dimensional one up rugby with a lightweight pack.

every fan on this forum pinpointed weaknesses within the squad before a ball was kicked, so why didn’t the coach see it !

a good coach would have played to what little strengths we had to offer, but he didn’t, he’s played lads out of position all season, brought in players which were no better than were already here, p`ssed off loads of local players who subsequently left, will have had the final word on all players and their level of contracts signed ……and ‘was he’ supposed to do community work as part of his full time contract, because if he has I haven’t seen anything on social media !!

….so no, I’m not sorry he’s gone but I do wish him well !

I agree with much of this.

I think his coaching left a lot to be desired.

A good coach gets the best out of what he has available and adapts the playing style to suit the players he has. I saw none of that this year, we had no size upfront yet still played down the middle a lot and got battered. The late great Jack Gibson used to say if you are outmuscled in the middle then you move the ball side to side at every opportunity to get their big guys running laterally in defence to tire them out. Against us they just had to hold a position and we ran straight at them.

A good coach also brings about improvement in both the players as individuals and collectively as a team. You can still be improving even while losing games, but quite honestly I think that apart from the London home game our performances went into decline rather than improving. Some of that was no doubt down to confidence but again a good coach can motivate his lads to get them up for it even in defeat.

People have said he had one hand tied behind his back due to budgets, and that is probably true. But even so sometimes its about how you use the budget you have. Did we really need to sign so many lightweight forwards ? No disrespect to the likes of Weetman and Lightowler etc but I'm sure we could have done without 2 of them and brought a good prop in on their combined wages for example.

I am sure he worked hard and was trying his best, can't fault him for effort same as the players. But sport is a results based business and ultimately his time was up. 

Who next ? We have tried the "big name" coaches and has it really made much difference ? I would go for someone from the local amateur game - maybe someone like Ryan Campbell at Seaton who knows the pro game and the club. Either way it has to be someone who can rebuild the bridges with the local amateurs and get the best locals wanting to sign for Town again.

• Like 2

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

2 hours ago, Derwent said:

I agree with much of this.

I think his coaching left a lot to be desired.

A good coach gets the best out of what he has available and adapts the playing style to suit the players he has. I saw none of that this year, we had no size upfront yet still played down the middle a lot and got battered. The late great Jack Gibson used to say if you are outmuscled in the middle then you move the ball side to side at every opportunity to get their big guys running laterally in defence to tire them out. Against us they just had to hold a position and we ran straight at them.

A good coach also brings about improvement in both the players as individuals and collectively as a team. You can still be improving even while losing games, but quite honestly I think that apart from the London home game our performances went into decline rather than improving. Some of that was no doubt down to confidence but again a good coach can motivate his lads to get them up for it even in defeat.

People have said he had one hand tied behind his back due to budgets, and that is probably true. But even so sometimes its about how you use the budget you have. Did we really need to sign so many lightweight forwards ? No disrespect to the likes of Weetman and Lightowler etc but I'm sure we could have done without 2 of them and brought a good prop in on their combined wages for example.

I am sure he worked hard and was trying his best, can't fault him for effort same as the players. But sport is a results based business and ultimately his time was up. 

Who next ? We have tried the "big name" coaches and has it really made much difference ? I would go for someone from the local amateur game - maybe someone like Ryan Campbell at Seaton who knows the pro game and the club. Either way it has to be someone who can rebuild the bridges with the local amateurs and get the best locals wanting to sign for Town again.

I know i said get shot of all the travellers but i think Lightowler has a lot of potential . It's hard for players who miss pre-season but Weetman was garbage. We might see a better Scholey next season for that reason.

2 hours ago, town4me said:

Thanks for your efforts Chris and good luck. I think charlo is a good option. Most likely gonna have to Go local in player recruitment and he would attract them IMO.

I love Charlo, great bloke and done a good job for us. It was disappointing how he quit the job after our first home defeat leaving Oggy to steer the ship. Going back to a club doesn't usually work, and I don't think this would.

7 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

You previously said "get rid of all the travellers

Yeah and you said people say stick with locals then want Sammut. He said she said went like this...

Get rid of the "current" travellers and replace them with a mix of locals and quality travellers. What i didn't say was we shouldn't have any travellers.

You can't do it with only locals i agree but look what someone like FFMM brought , we were crying out for that mix of quality and experience from a similar player this year.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, homeandawayer said:

I know i said get shot of all the travellers but i think Lightowler has a lot of potential . It's hard for players who miss pre-season but Weetman was garbage. We might see a better Scholey next season for that reason.

I like Lighthowler and probably the only one on here who likes our wingers

10 minutes ago, Unicorn 106 said:

I love Charlo, great bloke and done a good job for us. It was disappointing how he quit the job after our first home defeat leaving Oggy to steer the ship. Going back to a club doesn't usually work, and I don't think this would.

Probably won't be him. I'm just thinking it's most likely to be local based with a bit of Influence to bring local players in. 

Edited by town4me

8 minutes ago, homeandawayer said:

Yeah and you said people say stick with locals then want Sammut. He said she said went like this...

Get rid of the "current" travellers and replace them with a mix of locals and quality travellers. What i didn't say was we shouldn't have any travellers.

You can't do it with only locals i agree but look what someone like FFMM brought , we were crying out for that mix of quality and experience from a similar player this year.

Totally agree

We looked a far better team with Fui , Ollie and Dawson [Bruie]

This years team behind the likes of them would be far better

• Like 1