Sun 25th Sept: Ch SF: Leigh Centurions v York City Knights KO 14:00 (Premier Sports)

Who will win?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leigh Centurions
    • York City Knights

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/09/22 at 13:30

15 minutes ago, daz39 said:

At least 5 of their line up this afternoon won't play, that is a big chunk of their first choice, they will have to replace them and that won't be easy going by the quality of the players they will lose, will super league quality players want to play for Leigh if there are other options? they haven't seemed to want to in the past, i can't really see establised super league players leaving their clubs for Leigh, yes they have a good squad but this season they have relied on expensive foreign signings to batter part time clubs, even with only 7 of them the level of opponent is going to be miles ahead....

Anyway York have just scored - Well done to the part-timers!!!!

Daz

Leigh have already signed established SL players for next season whether they go up or not. 

The main 6 'superstars' have been retained with room for one marquee. 

Anyway, well done York. Great season. Can't wait for next week. I will be there with the family and I expect all 4 stands to be open! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

" How would this Leigh team go in Super League?"

Well this team wouldn't cos 75% of them would have to leave.

Leigh's squad will look massively difference next season and will probably include a lot of the Toulouse lads from this year, as is always the case with these promoted teams.

Hard to judge how good they are as they are playing against part-time players with SOO and international players, saying that they've played some good stuff still but will be a different matter next year.

Don't forget they were going to finish in the top 6 in their last SL season.

“75% would have to leave” not true

”probably include a lot of toulouse lads” looking unlikely

”don’t forget they were going to finish in the top 6 in their last SL season” who actually said this.

But apart from that…

• Like 1

Just back from the game. Thought York were virtually beaten before they started. The constant short kick offs and chip kicks early in a set we’re just an admission that they felt they needed to do something funky to compete, but they didn’t do any of the hard work.

Slightly better second half, but compare the two recent York performances at Leigh with the performance Widnes put in, you have to ask questions of the York coach. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Fevrover said:

It's only really when teams play Leigh it produces huge blowouts. Been some decent games this season.

I'm not knocking Leigh, they've done what they need to do, but the Championship should be purely part time league and funded as such. If teams can be more than that it seems pretty pointless them wasting time and money there.

As a part time league it can be exciting and vibrant in its own right. 

47 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Can any York fan fill us in on who from there 1st choice 17 wasnt available today.

Off the top of my head

O hagan

Pauli

Matongo

Kirmond

Any others?

Hingano, Ellis, Will Oakes, Levi Edwards. 

Some others are out but I doubt would have figured today (Ollie Butterworth, Brad Ward). 

Kris Brining also retired during the season.  He was a big loss. 

I might have missed someone. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Just back from the game. Thought York were virtually beaten before they started. The constant short kick offs and chip kicks early in a set we’re just an admission that they felt they needed to do something funky to compete, but they didn’t do any of the hard work.

Slightly better second half, but compare the two recent York performances at Leigh with the performance Widnes put in, you have to ask questions of the York coach. 

Would rather have had York's season than Widnes'. 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, phiggins said:

The same York coach who did the double over Widnes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Damien said:

I'm not knocking Leigh, they've done what they need to do, but the Championship should be purely part time league and funded as such. If teams can be more than that it seems pretty pointless them wasting time and money there.

And then the champions would have to build a fu time team during the off season, would not compete in Super League tye following year and everyone would complain about promotion and relegation. 

Leigh have a frightening team and deserve their success

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, gavin7094 said:

Hingano, Ellis, Will Oakes, Levi Edwards. 

Some others are out but I doubt would have figured today (Ollie Butterworth, Brad Ward). 

Kris Brining also retired during the season.  He was a big loss. 

I might have missed someone. 

Thanks. Totally forgot about Hingano.  Would Oaks and Edwards be in a 1st choice 17? Obviously Ellis wouldnt 

23 minutes ago, gavin7094 said:

And then the champions would have to build a fu time team during the off season, would not compete in Super League tye following year and everyone would complain about promotion and relegation. 

Leigh have a frightening team and deserve their success

I know, that is why the current structure doesn't work for anyone.

3 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

Can any York fan fill us in on who from there 1st choice 17 wasnt available today.

Off the top of my head

O hagan

Pauli

Matongo

Kirmond

Any others?

Oaks

Butterworth

O'Hagan

Ellis

Pauli

Matango

Kirmond

Hingano

Edwards

Brining (retired because of injuries)

Ward

2 hours ago, Damien said:

So you don't want Championship owners or clubs to have any ambition Damien, instead just shackle them and tell them they should know their place, seems a very insular view you have, "keep the bhuggers down"

• Like 2

Enjoyed my day at the LSV as always , York could not be faulted for effort , totally outclassed by a Leigh side that has really lit up the championship this season , normal service will be resumed in the champ next season with probably any of the top six being genuine contenders to get promoted .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Damien said:

I know, that is why the current structure doesn't work for anyone.

But are Leigh not looking like bucking the trend of not having some good players to make the transition to SL from the Championship, only time will tell and if their method works then they do overcome your inevitability it will prove it does work for some, it will then be up to others to follow suit.

Never mind this doesn't work for anyone, everthing in any discipline has been improved by some doing something different when doubters and neigh sayers tell everyone it won't work.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, georgeb1 said:

Enjoyed my day at the LSV as always , York could not be faulted for effort , totally outclassed by a Leigh side that has really lit up the championship this season , normal service will be resumed in the champ next season with probably any of the top six being genuine contenders to get promoted .

Totally agree George.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So you don't want Championship owners or clubs to have any ambition Damien, instead just shackle them and tell them they should know their place, seems a very insular view you have, "keep the bhuggers down"

Such a predictable response Harry. No I quite obviously didn't say any of that. It just all seems a little pointless to go through this charade with full time clubs and I'm not sure if anyone really benefits.

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

Such a predictable response Harry. No I quite obviously didn't say any of that. It just all seems a little pointless to go through this charade with full time clubs and I'm not sure if anyone really benefits.

I agree, the rest of the clubs only need to concentrate on avoiding relegation to L1 and it's pointless maxing out on their budgets just to hope to do well in the playoffs as the team that meeets Leigh have no realistic chance of going any further. The League has been won since day 1.