Sun 25th Sept: Ch SF: Leigh Centurions v York City Knights KO 14:00 (Premier Sports)

Who will win?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leigh Centurions
    • York City Knights

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/09/22 at 13:30

On 24/09/2022 at 14:14, Harry Stottle said:

Yes that is my worry also, I cannot recall letting in any tries with our opponents camped in our own 20 though, when we have been scored against they seem to be from a distance.

Dewsbury Rams scored from inside 20 against Leigh. Admittedly Leigh then went onto score 60 unanswered....😁😁

• Thanks 1

" How would this Leigh team go in Super League?"

Well this team wouldn't cos 75% of them would have to leave.

Leigh's squad will look massively difference next season and will probably include a lot of the Toulouse lads from this year, as is always the case with these promoted teams.

Hard to judge how good they are as they are playing against part-time players with SOO and international players, saying that they've played some good stuff still but will be a different matter next year.

Don't forget they were going to finish in the top 6 in their last SL season.

Edited by daz39

10 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

Full Time skilled Pro Atheletes are gonna generally destroy any part time team with lads that work shifts etc week in week out. Its totally unballanced and a poor spectator sport for neutrals tuning in .

Was having this conversation with some people at work in the week. it's a particularly hard sell for the sport saying, "yeah well, its a playoff semi final right, but they're full time international athletes, and our blokes are probably at work at their actual job right now then play at the weekend."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Well this team wouldn't cos 75% of them wouldn have to leave.

Leigh's squad will look massively difference next season and will probably include a lot fo the Toulouse lads from this year, as is always the case with these promoted teams.

Hard to judge how good they are as they are playing against part-time players with SOO and international players, sayign that they've played some good stuff still but will be a different matter next year.

Bit harsh that. If they keep, say, Ipape, Asiata, Lam, Ferguson, Amone, O'Donnell, plus one other, that's a chunk of players who would probably start at most SL teams, they would probably keep Chamberlain, Charnley, Mellor, Smith, Wardle, maybe Sidlow from their current domestic players, it will then be down to how good their recruitment from elsewhere will be, but they already have the makings of a good SL starting 17, depth will be the question mark. They might struggle to be as good next year as this because theyw on't be able to recruit overseas to fill the gaps, but in my view this Leigh team is miles ahead of their 2021 SL team.

Where they have been lucky this year is with injuries, they have led a charmed life in that respect (perhaps partly down to playing against players with less physicality), they are unlikely to be that fortunate over a SL season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Bit harsh that. If they keep, say, Ipape, Asiata, Lam, Ferguson, Amone, O'Donnell, plus one other, that's a chunk of players who would probably start at most SL teams, they would probably keep Chamberlain, Charnley, Mellor, Smith, Wardle, maybe Sidlow from their current domestic players, it will then be down to how good their recruitment from elsewhere will be, but they already have the makings of a good SL starting 17, depth will be the question mark. They might struggle to be as good next year as this because theyw on't be able to recruit overseas to fill the gaps, but in my view this Leigh team is miles ahead of their 2021 SL team.

Where they have been lucky this year is with injuries, they have led a charmed life in that respect (perhaps partly down to playing against players with less physicality), they are unlikely to be that fortunate over a SL season.

At least 5 of their line up this afternoon won't play, that is a big chunk of their first choice, they will have to replace them and that won't be easy going by the quality of the players they will lose, will super league quality players want to play for Leigh if there are other options? they haven't seemed to want to in the past, i can't really see establised super league players leaving their clubs for Leigh, yes they have a good squad but this season they have relied on expensive foreign signings to batter part time clubs, even with only 7 of them the level of opponent is going to be miles ahead....

Anyway York have just scored - Well done to the part-timers!!!!

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, daz39 said:

At least 5 of their line up this afternoon won't play, that is a big chunk of their first choice, they will have to replace them and that won't be easy going by the quality of the players they will lose, will super league quality players want to play for Leigh if there are other options? they haven't seemed to want to in the past, i can't really see establised super league players leaving their clubs for Leigh, yes they have a good squad but this season they have relied on expensive foreign signings to batter part time clubs, even with only 7 of them the level of opponent is going to be miles ahead....

I think only 4 of today's team wouldn't be available and rumour suggests that they have already signed three from Warrington. I agree it would be very tough for them to get enough depth and a bad bout of injuries would hit them hard but they might be able to muster enough to at least avoid relegation which is so hard in that first year (all this assuming they get promoted of course!).

15 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Anyway York have just scored - Well done to the part-timers!!!!

Daz

Leigh have already signed established SL players for next season whether they go up or not. 

The main 6 'superstars' have been retained with room for one marquee. 

Anyway, well done York. Great season. Can't wait for next week. I will be there with the family and I expect all 4 stands to be open! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

Well this team wouldn't cos 75% of them would have to leave.

Leigh's squad will look massively difference next season and will probably include a lot of the Toulouse lads from this year, as is always the case with these promoted teams.

Hard to judge how good they are as they are playing against part-time players with SOO and international players, saying that they've played some good stuff still but will be a different matter next year.

“75% would have to leave” not true

”probably include a lot of toulouse lads” looking unlikely

”don’t forget they were going to finish in the top 6 in their last SL season” who actually said this.

But apart from that…

• Like 1