Jump to content

Sun 2nd Oct: ChGF: Leigh Centurions v Batley Bulldogs KO 6.30pm (Premier Sports)


Who will win?  

83 members have voted

  1. 1. Who will win?

    • Leigh Centurions by 13 points or more
      63
    • Leigh Centurions by 7 to 12 points
      1
    • Leigh Centurions by 1 to 6 points
      0
    • Batley Bulldogs by 1 to 6 points
      12
    • Batley Bulldogs by 7 to 12 points
      0
    • Batley Bulldogs by 13 points or more
      7

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/10/22 at 18:00

Recommended Posts


8 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

I like at a lot of folk think you'll go great next season , but for replacements I feel charnley is half the player Kristian Inu is .

In terms of actual wing play, Charnley is just as capable as Inu. The main loss with Inu is his high % kicking game, outside of Rhys Martin, he's probably the best goal kicker in the UK this season and I think the statistics would back that up.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LeytherRob said:

Based on the rumours, only 3 of last nights 17 - Sam Stone, Adam Sidlow and Ben Nakubuwai, will be leaving. Sam Stone will be a miss for sure as he's been fantastic this year and was probably our best player during his stint at the back end of next year. Sidlow is 35 so whilst he will be a miss, he's very much on the clock and Nakubuwai is definitely replaceable. Majority of the players being replaced are those on the fringes of the squad, such as Jy Hitchcox, Mark Ioane, Kieron Dixon, Luis Roberts, Tom Nisbet etc. I'm confident we'll have a better squad than this year and better than any of our previous SL squads. The key quota spots(Ipape, Asiata, Amone, Ferguson etc) have been secured for a good while now so the core of the team will be much the same as this year and our spine will be mostly unchanged.

Edit - missed off Inu as a departure so 4 from the 17 leaving, however his replacement already signed in Josh Charnley.

What's the score with Roberts?..........I heard he'd been linked to Leeds but seems an odd pick up if he's not getting regular game time in the Championship. Appreciate he's young still. Do you think he's got potential for SL?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

What's the score with Roberts?..........I heard he'd been linked to Leeds but seems an odd pick up if he's not getting regular game time in the Championship. Appreciate he's young still. Do you think he's got potential for SL?

He definitely has the build/frame and does have some pace(but nothing express) but is very raw at present. Will need regular gametime at championship level next year so I expect him to go to whoever the DR partner with Leeds ends up being next year. He played wing for Swinton but his future is definitely center short to medium term and probably second row once he gets to his later 20s, early 30s.

Personally, I'd have like to have kept him...there is definitely potential in there and would have been an ideal 'squad number 25-30' type player for us but can't blame him for going to Leeds, it's a good place for a young player to go and learn.

What I will say is his(and the other fringe players for that matter)attitude has been exemplary, there hasn't been so much as a whisper this year of any tantrums or fall outs out over non selection. First time in a long time at leigh, especially seasons with high spend.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

Good job there are a long line of sugar daddies lined up to pump millions into their clubs then eh to help them achieve that?!👍

Why confused @Davo5?😁 If a team doesn't have the cash they can't spend the cap, that's pretty simple economics (unless you're a RU Premiership team!). Feel free to enlighten us on how the likes of Salford/Wakey are able to "rethink about spending the cap". Looking forward to your response...😁👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

In terms of actual wing play, Charnley is just as capable as Inu. The main loss with Inu is his high % kicking game, outside of Rhys Martin, he's probably the best goal kicker in the UK this season and I think the statistics would back that up.

Disagree Rob, Charnley is nowhere near the player he once was, he would still have been at Warrington if he was but Powell preferred to utilise Kids whilst Charnley was still there and since coming to Leigh I can see why.

Edited by Harry Stottle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Disagree Rob, Charnley is nowhere near the player he once was, he would still have been at Warrington if he was but Powell preferred to utilise Kids whilst he was still at Warrington and since coming to Leigh I can see why.

There's a lot of players Daryll Powell didn't rate at Wire, one of them in Toby King will be starting centre at Wigan next year. Charnley has been solid if unspectacular this year for Leigh, however I'm happy to give him the benefit of doubt since it was a stop start year for him. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen him after a full preseason at Leigh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LeytherRob said:

There's a lot of players Daryll Powell didn't rate at Wire, one of them in Toby King will be starting centre at Wigan next year. Charnley has been solid if unspectacular this year for Leigh, however I'm happy to give him the benefit of doubt since it was a stop start year for him. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen him after a full preseason at Leigh.

OK, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

He definitely has the build/frame and does have some pace(but nothing express) but is very raw at present. Will need regular gametime at championship level next year so I expect him to go to whoever the DR partner with Leeds ends up being next year. He played wing for Swinton but his future is definitely center short to medium term and probably second row once he gets to his later 20s, early 30s.

Personally, I'd have like to have kept him...there is definitely potential in there and would have been an ideal 'squad number 25-30' type player for us but can't blame him for going to Leeds, it's a good place for a young player to go and learn.

What I will say is his(and the other fringe players for that matter)attitude has been exemplary, there hasn't been so much as a whisper this year of any tantrums or fall outs out over non selection. First time in a long time at leigh, especially seasons with high spend.

Smith seems to like his project players, as Hooley and Leon Ruan from Donny have also apparently been signed. I doubt they’ll play much first team footy next year but that will depend on injuries. 

I don’t think Leeds is necessarily a good place for young players to develop though, our record of bringing through players has been rather poor in recent years. Dupree was one we let slip through our net, along with Trout, although Huddersfield pushed for him as part of the Leeming transfer. Even the likes of Broadbent and Walters who I had high hopes for have not progressed as much as expected. Then there’s not so young Jack Walker who is seemingly on the outer. 

You guys certainly look well set up to compete next year. Mulhern and Davis should go well for you. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

So if we agree that Cats and TO bring in nothing for Sky then surely you can see that any UK club would bring in more, if not then the conversation is a wasted one anyway 

What are your thoughts on the French tv deal or no Sky funding?

Who agrees that. How does the most shown team on Sky bring nothing to Sky. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

Why confused @Davo5?😁 If a team doesn't have the cash they can't spend the cap, that's pretty simple economics (unless you're a RU Premiership team!). Feel free to enlighten us on how the likes of Salford/Wakey are able to "rethink about spending the cap". Looking forward to your response...😁👍

My point being those clubs faced with a cashed up Leigh team will have the difficult decision of whether to spend up to the cap or face the very real threat of demotion & by the looks of things not being able to spend up to the cap will have an impact on a clubs grading if IMG’s recommendations are accepted.

Cant wait for another condescending reply.👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I'm not sure how you deduced agreement on that.

My view is that there are a core of 6-8 clubs in SL which derive the majority of the value from the Sky deal. I would purport that Cats and Toulouse attract higher viewing figures than Leigh, which is the key metric.

Anyway, good luck to Leigh next year. Let's hope Derek doesn't spit his dummy out again when things don't go his way

Bla bla bla.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DoubleD said:

What's the score with Roberts?..........I heard he'd been linked to Leeds but seems an odd pick up if he's not getting regular game time in the Championship. Appreciate he's young still. Do you think he's got potential for SL?

He needs game time and that was limited this year due to the stakes being high but FT training will have done him good, would love to keep him and loan him out as he will struggle for time due to the stakes being even higher in 2023.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

You guys certainly look well set up to compete next year. Mulhern and Davis should go well for you. 

Being from t'other side o't hill, you most probably don't get The Northwest regional news programme on the BBC, well Mr Beaumont was on that being interviewed and he said in 3 to 5 years the SL title would be residing at the LSV and he looked deadly serious in making that very big statement on a public platform, make of that what you will.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

I like at a lot of folk think you'll go great next season , but for replacements I feel charnley is half the player Kristian Inu is .

Inu will be a big miss, as will Sam Stone. Though the circumstances around their leaving means we’d have had to replace them even if there was no overseas limit in Super League. 

Personally, I’d be picking Keanan Brand over Charnley, he was having a good season on the wing before losing his place to Blake Ferguson. 

Not sure who’ll be kicking goals next season, someone with Inu’s accuracy could make a big difference for us next year. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Inu will be a big miss, as will Sam Stone. Though the circumstances around their leaving means we’d have had to replace them even if there was no overseas limit in Super League. 

Personally, I’d be picking Keanan Brand over Charnley, he was having a good season on the wing before losing his place to Blake Ferguson. 

Not sure who’ll be kicking goals next season, someone with Inu’s accuracy could make a big difference for us next year. 

What are the circumstances around Inu leaving, looks like he’s going to keighly 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Being from t'other side o't hill, you most probably don't get The Northwest regional news programme on the BBC, well Mr Beaumont was on that being interviewed and he said in 3 to 5 years the SL title would be residing at the LSV and he looked deadly serious in making that very big statement on a public platform, make of that what you will.

Assuming  the SL trophy is really valuable then? Does the LSV have a state-of-the-art safe where they can store it for other clubs?

Joking, obviously: I'd love it if Leigh (or any unfancied team) won.

Edit: damn, misread "title" for "trophy". (Shoot me: would put me out of my misery.)

Edited by Stuff Smith
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Being from t'other side o't hill, you most probably don't get The Northwest regional news programme on the BBC, well Mr Beaumont was on that being interviewed and he said in 3 to 5 years the SL title would be residing at the LSV and he looked deadly serious in making that very big statement on a public platform, make of that what you will.

Mr Beaumont has a habit of making outlandish statements so you’ll forgive me if I take that with a pinch of salt. They may not even gain a place under IMGs new plans 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Mr Beaumont has a habit of making outlandish statements so you’ll forgive me if I take that with a pinch of salt. They may not even gain a place under IMGs new plans 

He actually said winning a trophy. Expect some WOW announcements over the next few weeks - some may have to wait until after the WC. Leigh are not in it to make up numbers, it will be full cap and Marquees

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...