Derek Beaumont: Leigh will win SL or Challenge Cup in 3-5 years

7 minutes ago, northamptoncougar said:

So Lam has to move on 4 players and replace them in quality? Ones going to Keighley and ones off to Leeds so there's only 2 more to go. Will it really be that hard for Leigh? I don't think so. 

Strong rumours are that they've already signed up people for next season and they should really hit the ground running.

I think they will have to move on more than 4 players

4 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

International allegiance has nothing to do with quota exemption. Harrison Hansen is quota exempt despite playing for Samoa. 

Yep and Herbie Farnworth would be classed as a quota player despite being English and playing for England. The rules aren’t straightforward.

• Like 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

13 minutes ago, Gaz Martin said:

Bang on Shropshire Bull. 

If anyone had followed the Championship from the start will see how ridiculous the competition ended where Leigh is concerned as they have been allowed to bring in whoever they want to win.

What surprised me more is no-one from the governing body monitored the amount of oversea players they used?? Or set a reasonable quota in the Championship or other leagues. Using a high amount of oversea players has led to teams being pummelled by 50 - 60 points and in one case 100 points!!  

It appears double standards are used where SL have a system in place for foreign players and other leagues are left to do whatever!! This years Championship has been pretty pointless where competitions go.

What will happen to those players who are being released by Leigh? I wonder those players knew potentially what their fate is on winning and again personally this has made a mockery of our sport.

If the overseas quota was reduced across all leagues then some clubs would have to get more serious about junior development

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Those players were on 1 year deals so would have had the same uncertainty as any other player in the league with a 1 year deal. Would you say the same about any of the players on 1 year deals at Barrow?

LeytherRob,

A one year deal with Barrow on the pretence of being suitable for a further deal would most definitely be different than a one year deal of winning a league with Leigh and having no further future at the club pal. 

Sorry not even remotely similar.

• Like 1
BarrowRaiders-Enforcer-1.png

2 minutes ago, Gaz Martin said:

LeytherRob,

A one year deal with Barrow on the pretence of being suitable for a further deal would most definitely be different than a one year deal of winning a league with Leigh and having no further future at the club pal. 

A 1 year deal is a 1 year deal. They all had the option of looking elsewhere in May, and the clubs had options to offer extensions, or not.

10 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I think they will have to move on more than 4 players

By the sounds of it, a lot of that work has already been done. Hitchcox and Hingano already moved on. Ioane likely to be seen as someone we'd want to replace as we step up, Inu reportedly not feeling his body is up to top flight rugby any more (not sure I agree with that one), Stone offered an NRL deal.

All of these would likely be moving or moved on, regardless of quota rules. But the issue is the pool of players to replace from. We're not going to get a second row as good as Sam Stone, he's not being offered a deal at Melbourne because he's no good.

43 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

I remember his interview with Brian Carney during the opening game of the 2021 season where he proclaimed no one would be talking about Leigh and relegation after 6 games in. How did that work out? 

Hes an obnoxious big mouthed wazzock. 

Is there anyone outside of Odslum that you have any time for?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gaz Martin said:

LeytherRob,

It's exactly the same, every single one of the players at the club this year got a chance to stake a claim to be at the club in 2023, it's not like Leigh signed up 7 quota players on 3 year deals in December then added a bunch on 1 year deals. Every club goes through player turnover every season, it's a perfectly normal part of the game, especially when you are moving between divisions. Most of the quota players being let go, such as Hingano, Ioane, Inu, Hitchcox just aren't at the quality needed for SL. Moreover, I don't particularly think any of the players have been too upset because every single one of them was out on the field at full time on Sunday celebrating just as much as those in the 17.

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

How would he be when he played at St Pats for years?

There’s an age range on that ruling. Presently, playing for a side between the ages of 5-8, like Lam, isn’t part of that ruling but Leigh seem confident. As for Farnworth, I’m not sure how he wouldn’t qualify. 

16 minutes ago, Jughead said:

There’s an age range on that ruling. Presently, playing for a side between the ages of 5-8, like Lam, isn’t part of that ruling but Leigh seem confident. As for Farnworth, I’m not sure how he wouldn’t qualify. 

Not seen anything other than three years under the age of 21 in any rules that I have seen.

1 hour ago, Gaz Martin said:

Bang on Shropshire Bull. 

If anyone had followed the Championship from the start will see how ridiculous the competition ended where Leigh is concerned as they have been allowed to bring in whoever they want to win.

What surprised me more is no-one from the governing body monitored the amount of oversea players they used?? Or set a reasonable quota in the Championship or other leagues. Using a high amount of oversea players has led to teams being pummelled by 50 - 60 points and in one case 100 points!!  

It appears double standards are used where SL have a system in place for foreign players and other leagues are left to do whatever!! This years Championship has been pretty pointless where competitions go.

What will happen to those players who are being released by Leigh? I wonder those players knew potentially what their fate is on winning and again personally this has made a mockery of our sport.

Just read back to yourself the first I have highlighted in Bold, 

Now then Gaz, where Leigh is concerned?  The very same respect was open to every Championship club to do exactly the same that Leigh did and that includes Barrow Raiders to bring in whoever they wish or have you not considered that, as a Leigh fan I would have preferred every club could have done the same it would have been a more intersting season.

As for your last paragraph in Bold, I think that there would have been a strong hint on the contracts they signed that said it would be terminated at the end of the 2022 season, how is that any different to any club who has gained promotion and had to improve their squad going up a division, now I know that Barrow did very well with retaining a lot of their L1 squad in the Championship, but had they won this year and been promoted there was no way they could have kept the majority of the team, Leigh are retaining a lot of this season's squad and improving where the coach deems nessacary for the task that is to come.

Edited by Harry Stottle

16 minutes ago, Jughead said:

The wording on the clause B1:17 for 'federation trained player' is :

"a player who, for any 3 full seasons before the end of the season in which he ceases to be eligible by age to play at Under 21 level has been on the Clubs register or the register of another club which plays in competitions under the jurisdiction of a member of the ERL(F)."

There is no specification on whether it has to be a pro club, so being on the books of an amateur club should count under this clause. Providing he has spent 3 full seasons at St Pats as a youngster, regardless of age, Lam should technically be exempt as St Pats play in a competition under the jurisdiction of the RFL.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, northamptoncougar said:

So Lam has to move on 4 players and replace them in quality? Ones going to Keighley and ones off to Leeds so there's only 2 more to go. Will it really be that hard for Leigh? I don't think so. 

Strong rumours are that they've already signed up people for next season and they should really hit the ground running.

Roumer is that both Ioane and Inu are going to the Cougers,  you will get two great players there.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

The wording on the clause B1:17 for 'federation trained player' is :

"a player who, for any 3 full seasons before the end of the season in which he ceases to be eligible by age to play at Under 21 level has been on the Clubs register or the register of another club which plays in competitions under the jurisdiction of a member of the ERL(F)."

There is no specification on whether it has to be a pro club, so being on the books of an amateur club should count under this clause. Providing he has spent 3 full seasons at St Pats as a youngster, regardless of age, Lam should technically be exempt as St Pats play in a competition under the jurisdiction of the RFL.

I was always pretty sure Gareth Widdop had an exemption from the Non Fed quota.

He moved to Aus when he was 12 I think, but in 2020 we had a squad with the following 'Non Fed' Players

1. Gelling, 2. Austin, 3. Widdop, 4. Murdoch-Masila, 5. Jason Clark, 6. Mamo, 7. Akauola, 8. Latu

I always assumed Widdop was given some form of special dispensation, unless that dispensation was given to Latu on grounds of him being god awful.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Link to the ruling please, I am definitely interested in reading it.

PS no need Rob has posted it, did you not read it or did you not consider that interpretation? 

It may just be a loophole that Leigh can exploit.

Edited by Harry Stottle

8 minutes ago, Alffi 7 said:

He moved to Aus when he was 12 I think, but in 2020 we had a squad with the following 'Non Fed' Players

1. Gelling, 2. Austin, 3. Widdop, 4. Murdoch-Masila, 5. Jason Clark, 6. Mamo, 7. Akauola, 8. Latu

I always assumed Widdop was given some form of special dispensation, unless that dispensation was given to Latu on grounds of him being god awful.

Well there had to be dispensation for one considering there are 8 player's named.

12 minutes ago, Alffi 7 said:

The rules were updated in the last few years to streamline them, as previously it was the overly confusing 5/7 rule with 7 quota in total but only 5 could be non kolpak/European passport holders(or something along those lines, i don't remember the exact wording). So it's possible the wording of the latest rules were written in response to the issues with Widdop as i remember there being quite a lot of speculation at the time he came back to the UK as to whether he'd be exempt.

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That has been doing the rounds for a couple of months, your take on the 3 please, Hughes as never been a favourite of mine.

Mulhern: Went ok last year considering those around him, based on performances he was far better than Philbin and Bullock (although Bullock did pick up at the end of the year), but he was out of contract and Philbin/Bullock had multi years left on their contracts, so with lots of new pack members joining for 2023 it was inevitable he would go.  I think he is worth a spot as a bench rotation prop. Good signing.

Davis: Works hard but not big enough to hold a regular place in the 17 imo.  He could do an ok job as a squad player able to cover back row and 9, but don't expect too much.

Hughes: Doesn't offer enough attacking threat for me as a back rower, always seems well respected by the coaching staff, does the little things coaches like and was always seen as a leadership figure because of his standards. Defensively very strong, I always thought he suited a 13 role rather than 11/12. Solid enough signing, especially given he doesn't count on the quota.

Rumours that Holmes & Bullock could be offloaded too, although haven't heard any specific club mentioned for those.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1