Jump to content

Derek Beaumont: Leigh will win SL or Challenge Cup in 3-5 years


Recommended Posts


12 minutes ago, Alffi 7 said:

I was always pretty sure Gareth Widdop had an exemption from the Non Fed quota.

 

He moved to Aus when he was 12 I think, but in 2020 we had a squad with the following 'Non Fed' Players

1. Gelling, 2. Austin, 3. Widdop, 4. Murdoch-Masila, 5. Jason Clark, 6. Mamo, 7. Akauola, 8. Latu

 

I always assumed Widdop was given some form of special dispensation, unless that dispensation was given to Latu on grounds of him being god awful.

 

The rules were updated in the last few years to streamline them, as previously it was the overly confusing 5/7 rule with 7 quota in total but only 5 could be non kolpak/European passport holders(or something along those lines, i don't remember the exact wording). So it's possible the wording of the latest rules were written in response to the issues with Widdop as i remember there being quite a lot of speculation at the time he came back to the UK as to whether he'd be exempt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That has been doing the rounds for a couple of months, your take on the 3 please, Hughes as never been a favourite of mine.

Mulhern: Went ok last year considering those around him, based on performances he was far better than Philbin and Bullock (although Bullock did pick up at the end of the year), but he was out of contract and Philbin/Bullock had multi years left on their contracts, so with lots of new pack members joining for 2023 it was inevitable he would go.  I think he is worth a spot as a bench rotation prop. Good signing.

 

Davis: Works hard but not big enough to hold a regular place in the 17 imo.  He could do an ok job as a squad player able to cover back row and 9, but don't expect too much.

 

Hughes: Doesn't offer enough attacking threat for me as a back rower, always seems well respected by the coaching staff, does the little things coaches like and was always seen as a leadership figure because of his standards. Defensively very strong, I always thought he suited a 13 role rather than 11/12. Solid enough signing, especially given he doesn't count on the quota.

 

Rumours that Holmes & Bullock could be offloaded too, although haven't heard any specific club mentioned for those.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gaz Martin said:

LeytherRob,

A one year deal with Barrow on the pretence of being suitable for a further deal would most definitely be different than a one year deal of winning a league with Leigh and having no further future at the club pal. 

Sorry not even remotely similar.

 

Unknowing to yourself you have uncovered the conundrum of the Championship - If a team wants SL you must recruit a team in the Championship that can go up with you, otherwise you will have little chance from the leftovers to stay up. Average age of the Leigh team was mid 20's with their prime ahead of them, we are now going up with a youngish squad that know each other and have recruited some unbelievable new boys to add to it. Lam as a man has been instrumental in some of what we have already signed on the back of players wanting to be a part of the fantastic atmosphere around the club.

The facts are that if you are cashed and ambitious then you will be FT in the Championship, but you wont find a squad of SL ready young players in the UK. The challenge is for the PT clubs not cashed and not able to make the transition to SL - this is why FT clubs must be ring fenced with other FT clubs, not by diluting ambition to make an even field for the second tier that would kill that ambition for ever. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Alffi 7 said:

Mulhern: Went ok last year considering those around him, based on performances he was far better than Philbin and Bullock (although Bullock did pick up at the end of the year), but he was out of contract and Philbin/Bullock had multi years left on their contracts, so with lots of new pack members joining for 2023 it was inevitable he would go.  I think he is worth a spot as a bench rotation prop. Good signing.

 

Davis: Works hard but not big enough to hold a regular place in the 17 imo.  He could do an ok job as a squad player able to cover back row and 9, but don't expect too much.

 

Hughes: Doesn't offer enough attacking threat for me as a back rower, always seems well respected by the coaching staff, does the little things coaches like and was always seen as a leadership figure because of his standards. Defensively very strong, I always thought he suited a 13 role rather than 11/12. Solid enough signing, especially given he doesn't count on the quota.

 

Rumours that Holmes & Bullock could be offloaded too, although haven't heard any specific club mentioned for those.

I'd be happy to take Bullock if Wire are looking to shift him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

How does Lachlan Lam exempt from the quota rules when he's played for PNG at senior level?

Caleb Aiken will be playing for Wales in the WC does that make him exempt from quota based on your rules?

Edited by sweaty craiq
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Unknowing to yourself you have uncovered the conundrum of the Championship - If a team wants SL you must recruit a team in the Championship that can go up with you, otherwise you will have little chance from the leftovers to stay up. Average age of the Leigh team was mid 20's with their prime ahead of them, we are now going up with a youngish squad that know each other and have recruited some unbelievable new boys to add to it. Lam as a man has been instrumental in some of what we have already signed on the back of players wanting to be a part of the fantastic atmosphere around the club.

The facts are that if you are cashed and ambitious then you will be FT in the Championship, but you wont find a squad of SL ready young players in the UK. The challenge is for the PT clubs not cashed and not able to make the transition to SL - this is why FT clubs must be ring fenced with other FT clubs, not by diluting ambition to make an even field for the second tier that would kill that ambition for ever. 

I hear ya Sweaty and completely understand. 

 

BarrowRaiders-Enforcer-1.png
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well it's a far more positive thing to be saying than offering people a fight on social media like earlier in the year. So thumbs up from me.

If in 3-5 years that means we've got another strong competitive club challenging for honours then great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m glad we have somebody with ambition and financial clout to make these kind of statements. it’s refreshing to see other than the usual culprits spouting off how times are tough and they have no money and can’t spend the cap. He’s been at Leigh for 10 years now and he hasn’t always got it right, at the end of the day he may be a successful businessman but he’s had to learn a lot about owning a rugby league club and I think he’s finally getting it. 

Imagine how good SL would be if there were another 4/5 people like Derek pushing the sport, driving the on field product and pushing boundaries. This team may have now set the blue print for the championship and I can guarantee Keighley will follow the same process.

As for signing so many imports, ALL of those players have gotten deals either at Leigh or elsewhere on decent money for being part of a title winning Champ team, it looks great in their CV when their agents are doing business.

Exciting times for Leigh I just hope the RFL allow us to have an academy/reserves.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Edwin Ipape - not assigned to a club after being sacked by PNG Hunters

Caleb Aekins - I believe his sole intention was to get into the World Cup team for Wales, before returning to the NRL

Kai O'Donnell - 3 NRL games before being dropped to 2nd tier

Nene McDonald - NRL experience but played 2021 in the Queensland Cup

Ata Hingano - Released by Salford played 5 games

Krisnan Inu - Played 6 games for FC Lézignan XIII - rescued from semi-retirement

Blake Ferguson - Aussie International and all round bad boy (Not the first and not the last to wash up on these shores)

Sam Stone - 2 Seasons at Leigh

Mark Ioane - 3 Seasons at Leigh

Jy Hitchcox - A regular in the UK and released by Toulouse

Tom Amone - 17 games in 3 seasons in the NRL

John Asiata - A NRL regular who refused to take a Covid jab, available by luck

Ben Nakabuwai - History missing in the Covid years between Salford and Leigh

Lachlan Lam - Son of coach Adrian

All available for different reasons, some have gained experience and will go back into the NRL, some are staying in the Championship and others are contracted to Leigh in Super League. All have benefitted in some way from arrangement and nobody appears to be without a contract.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All the overseas players signed by Leigh would have known what the deal was.

If anything, it would create great incentive to perform and not be deemed surplus to requirements. Not a bad dilemma for the club and its fans!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've genuinely enjoyed watching Leigh this year, and it'll be good for SL if they establish themselves as a SL regular, and it is possible that Leigh could win SL, just as it's possible Ireland can win RLWC,  Bournemouth can win the Premier League and Lewis Hamilton could win the F1 championship driving a Morris Minor.

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Dave W said:

All the overseas players signed by Leigh would have known what the deal was.

If anything, it would create great incentive to perform and not be deemed surplus to requirements. Not a bad dilemma for the club and its fans!

Exactly, I'd rather be in then situation we are now than in previous forays into SL when we were desperately searching for overseas players well into the season and subsequently ending up with poor quality imports. We'll have comfortably the best 7(or 8 if Lam is off quota) overseas players we've ever had in 2023 and they're all fully integrated into the club already, with a decent blend of youth and experience. For the first time as a Leigh fan also, I would confidently say we have 2 players in Ipape and Asiata that would get in any 17 in SL.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Damien said:

How would he be when he played at St Pats for years?

As far as I’m aware he started playing RL at 14 and then moved to Oz at 16 so only had 2 years playing RL here.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Met Derek for the first time at the Broncos the other week we were both at the bar complaining there was no peanuts:)

Had a pleasant chat he certainly scores 10 out of 10 for putting his money in.

 

Paul

Didnt look like John Wayne after 3 months cattle herding did he?? I ask because they had just done the bike Ride for the kids charity which raised £24k, and thank you Broncos for contributing to that figure btw, a figure that Derek agreed to match so £48k has been sent to life 4 a kid.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, binosh said:

I’m glad we have somebody with ambition and financial clout to make these kind of statements. it’s refreshing to see other than the usual culprits spouting off how times are tough and they have no money and can’t spend the cap. He’s been at Leigh for 10 years now and he hasn’t always got it right, at the end of the day he may be a successful businessman but he’s had to learn a lot about owning a rugby league club and I think he’s finally getting it. 

Imagine how good SL would be if there were another 4/5 people like Derek pushing the sport, driving the on field product and pushing boundaries. This team may have now set the blue print for the championship and I can guarantee Keighley will follow the same process.

As for signing so many imports, ALL of those players have gotten deals either at Leigh or elsewhere on decent money for being part of a title winning Champ team, it looks great in their CV when their agents are doing business.

Exciting times for Leigh I just hope the RFL allow us to have an academy/reserves.

You think Keighley will spend like Leigh have? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...