Jamaica- 25%

Group D-

Tonga- 4.17%

Papua New Guinea- 75%

Wales- 50%

Cook Islands- 8.33%

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

Thanks for this @SydneyRoosters, really interesting stuff. You clearly have far too much time on your hands though! 

Yes indeed, It actually didn’t take that long at all though. Only about an hour or so per squad. And I’ve been doing it Gradually over a month as the squads get announced. 

Edited by SydneyRoosters
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Yes indeed, It actually didn’t take that long at all though. Only about an hour or so per squad. And I’ve been doing it Gradually over a month as the squads get announced. 

It’s really good what you have done there . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is amazing @SydneyRoosters, thank you for doing it. 

Whilst there is still a large 'Australia' influence, it feels like we are slowly seeing that percentage decrease.

Impressive that Wales now has 50% of their squad born in the principality. 

• Like 3

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

27 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

Whilst there is still a large 'Australia' influence, it feels like we are slowly seeing that percentage decrease.

Thank you. Yeah it’s great work from wales, in fact they could have easily had more Welsh born players if It wasn’t for some injuries. Before they announced the squad I was expecting around 60% but it is still fantastic work  and overall a massive achievement compared to the last World cup squad which had only 37.5% domestic born players.

Edited by SydneyRoosters
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Domestic Born Percentages-

Group A-

England 91.67%

Samoa 8.7%

France 91.67%

Greece 29.17%

Group B-

Australia- 91.67%

Fiji- 50%

Scotland-16.67%

Italy- 16.67%

Group C-

New Zealand- 91.67%

Ireland-4.17%

Lebanon- 4.35%

Jamaica- 25%

Group D-

Tonga- 4.17%

Papua New Guinea- 75%

Wales- 50%

Cook Islands- 8.33%

Brilliant stuff mate, projects such as these are exactly why this is my favourite forum - agree with the thread of the year sentiments.

Looks pretty clear that we've got a few distinct tiers here: 

• England/France/Australia/NZ - Wholly domestic production, no surprises here that all clubs have fully professional teams in the top leagues in their region.
  • PNG/Fiji/Wales- Majority domestic production, sides buffered by committed heritage players in positions lacking in depth but the teams could put out competitive enough wholly domestic teams if they were required to (probably strike Wales from this 'competitive' definition but they could field a full team if they wanted to). Note: I think Fiji in reality should be closer to PNG, Waqa Blake would push them above 50% but the politics that have prevented the Silktails players getting picked also reduces their effective domestic player pool in favour of heritage players playing at the same level.
  • Jamaica/Greece/Scotland/Italy - Majority heritage, select number of places in their squads left allocated to domestic products in an attempt to integrate the heritage/domestic scene - these countries realistically aren't likely to be reaching a QF and therefore auto-qualification so perhaps this makes that decision to integrate a bit easier. Distinct lack of a clear pathway to the professional game exists in these nations.
  • Samoa/Ireland/Lebanon/Tonga/Cook Islands - Almost entirely heritage with the odd player born in the country, most born would have moved to Australia/England/NZ at a young age with a few 'true' domestic products exceptions off the top of my head: Kayal Iro (CI), Ronan Michael (Ireland), Konrad Hurrell (Tonga). Obviously Lebanon has also taken two domestic products in a manner akin to the above tier. All these nations would be considered as competing for a QF place or higher honours, again with a distinct lack of a clear pathway to the professional game from these nations.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UTK said:

Brilliant stuff mate, projects such as these are exactly why this is my favourite forum - agree with the thread of the year sentiments.

Looks pretty clear that we've got a few distinct tiers here: 

• England/France/Australia/NZ - Wholly domestic production, no surprises here that all clubs have fully professional teams in the top leagues in their region.
  • PNG/Fiji/Wales- Majority domestic production, sides buffered by committed heritage players in positions lacking in depth but the teams could put out competitive enough wholly domestic teams if they were required to (probably strike Wales from this 'competitive' definition but they could field a full team if they wanted to). Note: I think Fiji in reality should be closer to PNG, Waqa Blake would push them above 50% but the politics that have prevented the Silktails players getting picked also reduces their effective domestic player pool in favour of heritage players playing at the same level.
  • Jamaica/Greece/Scotland/Italy - Majority heritage, select number of places in their squads left allocated to domestic products in an attempt to integrate the heritage/domestic scene - these countries realistically aren't likely to be reaching a QF and therefore auto-qualification so perhaps this makes that decision to integrate a bit easier. Distinct lack of a clear pathway to the professional game exists in these nations.
  • Samoa/Ireland/Lebanon/Tonga/Cook Islands - Almost entirely heritage with the odd player born in the country, most born would have moved to Australia/England/NZ at a young age with a few 'true' domestic products exceptions off the top of my head: Kayal Iro (CI), Ronan Michael (Ireland), Konrad Hurrell (Tonga). Obviously Lebanon has also taken two domestic products in a manner akin to the above tier. All these nations would be considered as competing for a QF place or higher honours, again with a distinct lack of a clear pathway to the professional game from these nations.

Hopefully we can have almost all of the nations at the 2025 World Cup in at least tier 3. Here’s my future Predictions from the nations who are not already-

Samoa: Matt Parish looks keen on developing domestic talent and if they have a strong tournament this year hopefully it can sway some interest from union to league. Samoa have a solid population of 200,000 and I have no I doubt under a good youth system they could produce a few First grade standard players. 2025 may be a bit soon but hopefully they can add 1-2 domestic players or even just Samoan born players.

Ireland: They have an alright domestic competition with decent potential. Hopefully we can generate more Ronan Michael’s in the future and super league clubs see Ireland as a area that can produce first grade players. However from what I know it seems Irish people do not care about a few English blokes with Irish grandparents playing for “Ireland”. Until there is genuine interest from the Irish rugby league board to select from the available domestic players I can’t see much changing by 2025.

Lebanon: There is great potential in Lebanon. Rugby league is already the third most popular sport in the country and the domestic competition is growing every year. It is pretty obvious that Lebanon can not rely on Australian heritage players for ever as immigration from Lebanon has slowed down over the last 20 years. So if Lebanon want any chance of still being around in the long term future they must put everything into there domestic game. Unfortunately politics and Unrest has kept the game from growing so if they can sort that out there is enormous potential for it to become a household sport in the country.

Tonga: From what I’ve heard Tongan Intrest in the game has hit an all time peek after the 2017 World Cup and the Australia victory. Hopefully the talent generated from that growth starts to show in the near future. We have already seen Eliesa katoa and few other Tongan born warriors youngsters come through over the last couple of years. But hopefully we can have some Tongan domestic players who have come through a Rugby ‘League’ system make first grade in the future.

Cook Islands: Rugby League in the Cook Islands is the biggest it could possibly be. Unfortunately the small population will always make it all but impossible to develop first grade players. However What Kayal Iro has done is nothing short of impossible. To be born and raised in a tiny country in the Pacific Ocean and win NSW cup Player of the year plus make an NRL debut is genuinely crazy and should be talked about more. There have been a good list of Cook Islands Born players to play for the Kuki’s Including Tepai Moeroa, Sam Mataora and Adam Tangata. There are also other domestic Cook Islanders currently playing in Australia, Andre Iro and James Strickland. Hopefully the Kuki’s select a few players from there domestic comp in the future but overall they a doing very well for a country of 17,000 people.

Edited by SydneyRoosters
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Group A-

England 91.67%

Samoa 8.7%

France 91.67%

Greece 29.17%

Group B-

Australia- 91.67%

Fiji- 50%

Scotland-16.67%

Italy- 16.67%

Group C-

New Zealand- 91.67%

Ireland-4.17%

Lebanon- 4.35%

Jamaica- 25%

Group D-

Tonga- 4.17%

Papua New Guinea- 75%

Wales- 50%

Cook Islands- 8.33%

Good stats

This is brilliant, love stuff like this. Highlights how poor it is that Ireland only have 1 domestic player in their squad. Wales, Scotland and even Jamaica and Greece have more. As an Ireland fan it's disappointing they couldn't find a space for someone like Peter Ryan who has 3 full seasons in League one under his belt 

• Like 2

On 05/10/2022 at 10:08, Yakstorm said:

I personally think the Fijian 50% domestic squad is even more impressive.

Really good effort. Chapeau as they say in cycling.

I'm surprised that no player was born in Liverpool or Castleford and that Joe Bachelor is from Wakefield. The only player from Hull plays for Scotland.

• Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 05/10/2022 at 01:54, SydneyRoosters said:

Group A-

England 91.67%

Samoa 8.7%

France 91.67%

Greece 29.17%

Group B-

Australia- 91.67%

Fiji- 50%

Scotland-16.67%

Italy- 16.67%

Group C-

New Zealand- 91.67%

Ireland-4.17%

Lebanon- 4.35%

Jamaica- 25%

Group D-

Tonga- 4.17%

Papua New Guinea- 75%

Wales- 50%

Cook Islands- 8.33%

Fantastic! 
Quick question… how is Lebanon 4.35% when other countries with only one locally born play are at 4.17% 

Did Lebanon not name 24 players?