2025 Rugby League World Cup qualification

Just thought I’d give everyone an Update on World Cup qualification.

X= Out of Qualifying

Cameroon X

Russia *

Ukraine

Ghana

Norway 

Czech Republic X*

Chile

Turkey X

Brazil

Germany

Nigeria

Netherlands

Canada

South Africa

Malta X

Spain

Serbia

USA

Greece

Italy

Jamaica

Scotland

Lebanon

Wales

Cook Islands

Ireland

France

Fiji

Tonga

Papua New Guinea

Australia

Samoa

England

New Zealand

Out of the 34 who could’ve qualified for the World Cup 30 Remain.

In November either Brazil or Chile will Advance to the Americas Championship next year against Jamaica, USA and Canada and the other will be eliminated.

Nigeria and Ghana are set to Play South Africa and Lebanon* for a spot in the World Cup next year also.

European Qualifying will be finalised after the World Cup when the automatic qualifying spots are known. Tournaments are set take place in 2023 and 2024.

Asia-Pacific Qualifying has not been planned as all 7 members are in the World Cup. However if one were not to automatically qualify (Most likely Cook Islands) they will probably go into a playoff against nations from other regions.

Edited by SydneyRoosters
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Would be great to have a South American side in the mens tournament. 

Yes that would fantastic. There’s a big chance of that happening too as there are 2 designated spots for the Americas this time. Jamaica will 99% qualify and it’s Between USA and Brazil maybe Chile. Rugby league is Brazil is doing 100 times better in  then the US right now so I really hope they qualify. 

2 minutes ago, Pulga said:

The USA don't really meet minimum requirements for affiliate membership. I can't see how they should be allowed to qualify.

Also the CDM2025 website has just been launched:

https://www.france2025.com/fr/

Minimum requirements is 4 teams, USA have that. If anything how are Italy in the World Cup there is literally 0 Rugby leagues in Italy.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Minimum requirements is 4 teams, USA have that. If anything how are Italy in the World Cup there is literally 0 Rugby leagues in Italy.

One team played one game I believe and forfeited the rest. You're also supposed to have evidence of junior development.

USA, Italy and Scotland shouldn't be anywhere near the WC.

It's a bit of a farce really.

• Like 4

new rise.jpg

11 minutes ago, Pulga said:

One team played one game I believe and forfeited the rest. You're also supposed to have evidence of junior development.

Yeah I would much rather have nations who actually have 5+ team completions and good youth development. Serbia, Netherlands, Nigeria, Brazil or even Czech Republic should be much closer to the World Cup. That’s why I think heritage players shouldn’t be used in World Cup qualifying

it gives a massive advantage to nations with a large abundance of them. I was hearing a few months ago the Drinkwater brothers we’re going to play Germany. If it is true it really shouldn’t be allowed having a player who finished top 10 in the Dally M playing against amateurs who have only played the sport for a few years and scoring 5+ tries a match.

Its just one of the many problems with our sport though.

Edited by SydneyRoosters
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Pulga said:

There is a fair amount of RL played in the USA tbf, agree on Italy and Scotland though. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Canada too. 

1 hour ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Yeah I would much rather have nations who actually have 5+ team completions and good youth development. Serbia, Netherlands, Nigeria, Brazil or even Czech Republic should be much closer to the World Cup. That’s why I think heritage players shouldn’t be used in World Cup qualifying

it gives a massive advantage to nations with a large abundance of them. I was hearing a few months ago the Drinkwater brothers we’re going to play Germany. If it is true it really shouldn’t be allowed having a player who finished top 10 in the Dally M playing against amateurs who have only played the sport for a few years and scoring 5+ tries a match.

Its just one of the many problems with our sport though.

The rules are actually much more strict in the qualifiers than in the actual WC. Some qualifying tournaments you're only allowed two or four.

• Like 2

new rise.jpg

1 hour ago, SydneyRoosters said:

My predictions for qualification-

Automatic-

England

Samoa

Australia

Fiji

New Zealand

Ireland

Tonga

Papua New Guinea

Euroupe-

France

Wales

Scotland

Netherlands

Americas-

Jamaica

Brazil

MEA-

Nigeria

Playoff- (MEA/Europe/Oceania)

Cook Islands

Brazil may not even make the Americas Championship.

Malta would be way ahead of Netherlands 

Lebanon and South Africa way stronger than Nigeria.

new rise.jpg

2 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

X= Out of Qualifying

Cameroon X

Russia *

Ukraine

Ghana X

Norway 

Czech Republic X*

Chile

Turkey X

Brazil

Germany

Nigeria

Netherlands

Canada

South Africa

Malta X

Spain

Serbia

USA

Greece

Italy

Jamaica

Scotland

Lebanon

Wales

Cook Islands

Ireland

France

Fiji

Tonga

Papua New Guinea

Australia

Samoa

England

New Zealand

Out of the 34 who could’ve qualified for the World Cup 29 Remain.

In November either Brazil or Chile will Advance to the Americas Championship next year against Jamaica, USA and Canada and the other will be eliminated.

Nigeria are set to Play South Africa and Lebanon* for a spot in the World Cup next year also.

European Qualifying will be finalised after the World Cup when the automatic qualifying spots are known. Tournaments are set take place in 2023 and 2024.

Asia-Pacific Qualifying has not been planned as all 7 members are in the World Cup. However if one were not to automatically qualify (Most likely Cook Islands) they will probably go into a playoff against nations from other regions.

Ghana are joining Nigeria in the next round too.

2 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

X= Out of Qualifying

Ghana X

Aren't Ghana still in it? I think that both the top two from this year's MEA qualify for next year's MEA eliminator with Lebanon and the South Africans.

35 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Brazil may not even make the Americas Championship.

Malta would be way ahead of Netherlands 

Lebanon and South Africa way stronger than Nigeria.

Brazil Are a lot stronger the Chile

Malta are already out

Nigeria have a lot of eligible first grade players: Jayden Okunbour, Jason Saab, Tuoyo Edogo, Matt Komalafe, Rio Corkill, Sadiq Adyebi, Muizz Matupha, Eribe Doro, Daniel Okoro Etc. I’m pretty confident all of those players will play expect maybe Saab. I very much doubt Lebanon will have Adam Doueihi in a small tournament like this and there squad could be very weak.