What’s all this about a new coach

DEANO

Maybe it's all a big misunderstanding about making sure James Batchelor's company car was recovered before his move to Hull KR. What was actually overheard was "We need to organise the paperwork to get James's Ford to the club."

I'm sure one day we'll look back at all of this and laugh....... 😞 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Acasterknight said:

It is starting to look like this has caught the club unawares. Three days without any comment is not good.

Not how I see it to be honest. If Fordy has walked, why don't the club just say so?

If you read the article in The Press on Sept 30th, Fordy is quoted as saying amongst other things, "that York City Knights head into the off-season “in the best place that we’ve ever been." 

The fact he has taken them there speaks volumes of his ability, but maybe the writing was on the wall then, and he was just reminding the chairman what he has achieved before the rumours started.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HaxbyKnight said:

Not how I see it to be honest. If Fordy has walked, why don't the club just say so?

If you read the article in The Press on Sept 30th, Fordy is quoted as saying amongst other things, "that York City Knights head into the off-season “in the best place that we’ve ever been." 

The fact he has taken them there speaks volumes of his ability, but maybe the writing was on the wall then, and he was just reminding the chairman what he has achieved before the rumours started.

And the fans?

What does surprise me is that obviously James and Clint have not been slow to tie down players to longer term contracts. I can only imagine that the intention, on both sides, was that it would be James coaching those players over the next 2-3 seasons. So in my mind whatever has occurred has occurred pretty recently and pretty rapidly.

That's not to say that doing the above with the squad wasn't the right thing to do but it does mean that whoever is coming in is going to have little flexibility for quite some time on shaping their squad.

But when all is said and done, James has been an absolute legend for us and if an opportunity has arisen then I don't think anyone would begrudge him taking it. Just still can't help feel with the IMG news that there was also the potential, though admittedly not for next season, for James to be a Super League coach eventually with the Knights. And who knows.....maybe one day that might still happen.

Edited by JonT
  • Like 1

Just now, JonT said:

So in my mind whatever has occurred has occurred pretty recently and pretty rapidly.

Thats almost certainly it Jon. Fordy and Mash have a working relationship that goes back years, but Mash only got the Wakefield job two weeks ago. I don't believe that there has been any kind of relationship breakdown with Clint (he wouldn't have been offering 2/3 year contracts to his players if there was) - more likely that this opportunity only came up last week, and for Fordy it was a route into Super League at a club 2 miles from his house, but also an opportunity to get his evenings back to spend time with his young family.

I imagine the two clubs have been finalising everything (contracts, compensation) today, with an official announcement probably due tomorrow, when the ink is dry.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My only consern is that the next coach won't be able to put his stamp on ghe squad. His appointment will be a bit of a rush and maybe not ghe ideal choice given ghe circumstances that Fordy has left under.No disrespect to him because he has done what is right for him

8 minutes ago, stevo56 said:

What i imagine is that Wakefield have offered Fordy more cash than we could and he's gone.

We move on to the next guy.

Whilst i would not be surprised if that was the case, i would be astonished if that was the reason.

If money was the primary motivator there'd be precious few folks working in rugby league at all 

Edited by JonT
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, stevo56 said:

It's a job ,somebody offers you more money to do the same thing you take it.

Well i can hand on heart say that happened to me only last year and I'm still in exactly the same place.

So i think that's an over simple and cynical view of the world and this situatuon. But to each their own.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, stevo56 said:

What i imagine is that Wakefield have offered Fordy more cash than we could and he's gone.

We move on to the next guy.

Think you will find he was a full time coach with the knights so presume he was on a good contract,maybe we do don't need a full time coach with part time players,but i am disappointed he is leaving the knights as he took us from playing at York RU and Heworth with no training facilities to a established championship side so i hope it works out for him at Wakefield.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gav Wilson said:

Thats almost certainly it Jon. Fordy and Mash have a working relationship that goes back years, but Mash only got the Wakefield job two weeks ago. I don't believe that there has been any kind of relationship breakdown with Clint (he wouldn't have been offering 2/3 year contracts to his players if there was) - more likely that this opportunity only came up last week, and for Fordy it was a route into Super League at a club 2 miles from his house, but also an opportunity to get his evenings back to spend time with his young family.

I imagine the two clubs have been finalising everything (contracts, compensation) today, with an official announcement probably due tomorrow, when the ink is dry.

IF that's what's happened Gav, and the scenario you have described makes sense, it is far preferable to a fall out with a new chairman that hardly anyone knows. Because of the love many Knights fans have for Fordy, it could have been difficult for Clint to move on quickly from a fall out. Hope you are right mate.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, georgeb1 said:

The response rate to this thread just shows how passionate and concerned knights fan's are about their club , great times ahead 😀😀😀

It helps the close season go quicker, we all have different opinions on who we want as the next Knights coach, not all of us will be happy, but if we finish higher than 2022 and play good rugby I'll be happy.

• Like 5