RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

England's upcoming match against Japan will their third match against them in history.

Like I say, we don't need to look at union just cos they play with an oval ball.

We can't compare to union as they get all the media, hype, prestige etc that RL never will, but at least they're giving other nations a chance now. Would England ever play Samoa, Fiji, Lebanon, Greece, Italy etc outside of a WC/warm up? We played Italy once and lost, and haven't played them since. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

Drive, cycle, walk? 😉

I'll probably stay.

Shame about the quality of hotels.

But at least I will get the halfway line all to myself.

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

On this specific game no. But they are in the discussion around the whole tournament, and may very well have impacted people considering travelling from WF postcodes that are half an hour away.

There's a World Cup game involving some of the finest athletes on the planet - plus a sprinkling of genuine amateurs with a great back story - going on 30 mins away. £20. Take the lads and lasses for £2.

Nah. Not really that interested. 

• Like 1

Just now, Archie Gordon said:

There's a World Cup game involving some of the finest athletes on the planet - plus a sprinkling of genuine amateurs with a great back story - going on 30 mins away. £20. Take the lads and lasses for £2.

Largely sums it up for me. Any excuse insert here ----->

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

But because it already has more nations at a level relatively similar to England, it doesn't have to be "just England". When in RL we talk about the likes of England playing X, we're talking about 3 countries, in RU they have 8, and have built a fair few more to challenge too.

We can't simply transplant what union do onto league without taking into account reality.

There's an 8 team European A Championship still due to start next year. Many of the countries that people keep saying should play more games have played multiple games.

Yes - more investment and focus needed, and, yes, things could be more visible and more professional with more done to get people through the turnstiles.

No, we don't need to look to union for guidance.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

We can't simply transplant what union do onto league without taking into account reality.

There's an 8 team European A Championship still due to start next year. Many of the countries that people keep saying should play more games have played multiple games.

Yes - more investment and focus needed, and, yes, things could be more visible and more professional with more done to get people through the turnstiles.

Union has spent a fortune that league can't and really other than Argentina - the same old teams dominate.

They just have a veneer of more competitive teams under the traditional sides.

42 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I can’t see them filling both ends. And that’s what would need to happen to get over 10k. We live in hope. 

Gallowgate end? 

Didn’t the Doncaster game last night change it’s price structure? 

Leazes level 4 mate. This was my view. A touch high for. Some, but I quite like a panoramic view 

IMG_20221015_144221_copy_912x420.jpg.1324121c85c9c2d3f4ae9eaeb8df6223.jpg

The Doncaster game was always priced like that. 

Mick Gledhill made the claim on twitter last night that they'd changed prices. Mick Hogan told him he was wrong and to check his facts 😆

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Would England ever play Samoa, Fiji, Lebanon, Greece, Italy etc outside of a WC/warm up? We played Italy once and lost, and haven't played them since. 

No, and until we move into a position where a match like that wouldn't lose us money, I'm more than okay with that,

Seriously, look at the RFL balance sheet.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

England's upcoming match against Japan will their third match against them in history.

Like I say, we don't need to look at union just cos they play with an oval ball.

I agree with your second point.. and they have been poor in developing countries like Georgia beyond where they are, and the whole 6 nations lock in.. but in the autumn internationals they do regularly play a "minor" nation, Samoa, Japan etc and they don't mind as they adjust the team to get something out of it, Argentina would have been one of those minor nations not so long ago.. they persevered.. 

We shouldn't mimic them in many things but the fact they have stuck with teams and they are not afraid to play is no bad thing. They also value the international game to get people interested. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RP London said:

Argentina would have been one of those minor nations not so long ago.. they persevered.. 

Argentina perservered.

The rest of the rugby union world basically didn't until they really had to.

Same with Italy, TBH.

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The problem is France won't improve playing Ireland and Scotland all the time and vice versa. These countries need games v England, Aus, NZ, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji etc more and not just in the WC. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

No, and until we move into a position where a match like that wouldn't lose us money, I'm more than okay with that,

I agree but we need more sponsors and money in the sport and that would come from regular internationals and a varied fixture list.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, londonrlfan said:

The problem is France won't improve playing Ireland and Scotland all the time and vice versa. These countries need games v England, Aus, NZ, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji etc more and not just in the WC. 

Why won't France improve playing and winning games? They actually get quite good challenges against those teams you mention. Even Greece last night was a challenge for them. 

Since 2010 France have played:

England x 10

Ireland x 5

Scotland x 5

Wales x 7

USA x 1

PNG x 1

NZ x 1

Samoa x 1

Jamaica x 1

Lebanon x 1

Greece x 1

Australia x 1

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Sorry, should have added "by train". 

People don't generally speaking travel to Doncaster (except for the races), so it has to be something special for them to do so.

Can't blame customers.

15 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

But until we actually play the likes of Tonga, Fiji or Samoa how do we know if they are money makers or money losers or break evens?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Why won't France improve playing and winning games? They actually get quite good challenges against those teams you mention. Even Greece last night was a challenge for them. 

Since 2010 France have played:

England x 10

Ireland x 5

Scotland x 5

Wales x 7

USA x 1

PNG x 1

NZ x 1

Samoa x 1

Jamaica x 1

Lebanon x 1

Greece x 1

Australia x 1

Because they're playing sides at the same level rather than a step up in challenge.

Will part of our frustration come from the feel good factor of the 2013 tournament. 

Over 7000 in Bristol to watch USA v Cook Islands was an amazing achievement and had a great atmosphere. 

The same effort doesn't seem to have gone into this one even though they've had more time. 

• Like 7

Do not fear; only BELIEVE

Just now, gingerjon said:

Argentina perservered.

The rest of the rugby union world basically didn't until they really had to.

Same with Italy, TBH.

I don't agree, Argentina persevered  yes but because they were getting to play countries (plural). We were playing them in international matches from the 80s as were many other major nations.. they grew from that to the point they forced the southern hemisphere teams to include them in their Tri Nations and then have grown again. Italy just are not getting anywhere.. the argument at the moment over Georgia is that they are growing better than Italy but aren't getting the opportunities. 

France is the equivalent for me, yet all the time its "we'd spank them, its not competitive" yet we are desperate for a mid season international that we cannot call the "big stars" too... they are right there... 

Of course the country must persevere but the international community must too and RU did that with Argentina.. what i agree with you on is that "just because its RU" doesn't mean we should copy it.. totally... and even within RU just because it works you cant replicate it necessarily (Argentina and Italy are good examples, Italy got potentially MORE opportunity and haven't done what Argentina did).

But its not just because its RU, pretty much all sports play more internationals, there may be blow outs but thats just the way it is... We have to keep the players involved and that means more high profile matches and that is up to England to play IMHO. When did Lebanon last play, when did Italy.. as has been mentioned we played Italy once and they beat us and we havent played them since!

• Like 3

Great News for the England-France Match:

”We have released a number of restricted view seats at 25$ for adults and 10$ for concessions due to high demand”

Really good signs it’s headed for a sell out, Going to be the first sell out of the tournament and possibly the only one of the group stage. 

I’m Tingling at the fact we’re going to get to see France vs England In front 30k People. It’s everything I want to ENG-FRA to become. All we need now is the game to be fairly competitive, and I think it will most likely be that way. I genuinely can’t wait, It’s the game of the group stages I’m most exited for.

• Like 2